In the context of tabletop Roleplaying Games
, a Rules Conversion
is an attempt to run a game built for one roleplaying system in another roleplaying system. In some cases, this is supported officially, with conversion guides or sourcebooks published with the original game creators' approval. Some of these works only provide the converted material from the original game, while others may include rules and guidelines to help players convert material to the new system themselves - and some do both. Numerous official conversions from other games have been released as GURPS
or d20 System
In other cases, conversion guides are written by other players who have done this before. Rifts
and other Palladium games are usually played in converted form, since the Palladium system is unpopular (although doing so publicly often leads to cease-and-desist orders from Palladium, who do not
take kindly to the practice at all). When players convert games, they often use the GURPS
, HERO System
, and FUDGE
roleplaying systems, since these systems are specifically built to accommodate conversions.
Rules conversions fall into two broad categories:
- "Counts As" conversions. For each item or character trait in your game, find an equivalent one that is already present in the target system.
- "Remake" conversions. Modify the rules of your target system so they can accommodate the material you're converting to it.
Most rules conversions contain some elements of both.
- GURPS official conversions (from Steve Jackson Games unless otherwise noted):
- d20 System official conversions (published by various companies):
- D6 System official conversions
- Other conversions
- Champions/Silver Age Sentinels: Reality Storm (crossover adventure with guidelines for converting material between HERO System and Tri-Stat)
- Deadlands: Adios, A-Mi-Go! (adventure for Deadlands and Call of Cthulhu with guidelines for converting material between the systems)
- Rifts: Rifts Conversion Book (converts material from other Palladium games for use in Rifts)
- Fan conversions of the Old World of Darkness games to the New World of Darkness.
- And now White Wolf is publishing official conversion books to celebrate the various game lines' 20th anniversaries, starting with "V20" for Vampire.
- In the back of some old Villains & Vigilantes supplements, there were rules for converting material to and from Champions and/or Superworld (Basic Roleplaying System).
- The HERO Games magazine Adventurer's Club used to regularly include articles that gave guidelines for converting material from other systems into Champions/HERO, including TSR's Marvel Super Heroes RPG and the DC Heroes RPG.
- Paizo's website has a forum dedicated to fan conversions to their Pathfinder system. This can range from the minimal (discussing what changes a specific 3.5 feat might need to fit with Pathfinder's balancing) to the more extensive (discussing conversions of entire settings).