Tabletop Game: Savage Worlds
Savage Worlds is a universal, award-winning role-playing game and miniatures wargame, written by Shane Lacy Hensley, and published by Great White Games doing business as Pinnacle Entertainment Group. The game emphasizes speed of play and reduced preparation over realism or detail.
Although Savage Worlds is a generic rules system, Pinnacle has released "Savage Settings" - campaign settings or modules designed specifically for the Savage Worlds rules. These have included Evernight
, 50 Fathoms
, Necessary Evil
, Rippers, and Low Life. Pinnacle has also published setting books based on the company's earlier lines, including Deadlands: Reloaded
as well as the Tour of Darkness
settings based on the Weird Wars line.
Beginning with 50 Fathoms, the majority of settings released by Pinnacle feature a concept known as a "Plot Point Campaign". In such campaigns, a series of loosely defined adventure scenarios are presented. A main storyline is presented as a series of "Plot Points" and additional side-quests (or "Savage Tales") expand the scope of the campaign. This format allow a group of characters to explore the game universe while playing through (or disregarding) the main storyline in a manner similar to that of computer RPGs
(such as Morrowind).
A licensing system is in place for electronic and book publishers to release material for the Savage Worlds game. Such "Savaged!" licensees are allowed to use the Savage Worlds mascot "Smiling Jack" as a logo on their products. Multiple PDF adventure scenarios are available using this licensing system, as well as setting related supplements like the Vampire Earth RPG Sourcebook, the Shaintar Player's Guide, and Winterweir
Official Savage Worlds settings include:
Licensed Savage Worlds settings include:
The stories contain the following tropes:
- Badass: All player characters are this by comparison to other types of characters, as well as Wild Cards (important NPCs).
- Badass Normal: The default state for characters without Powers.
- Character Level: Known as 'ranks' here, mainly limiting attribute increases and available Edges.
- Hermetic Magic
- Fanservice: The Powers section's picture of a sorceress gives her a halter that's just a hair's breadth away from showing something indecent.
- Line To God: The Savage Worlds forums have a section where Pinnacle staff member Clint Black provides official answers to rules questions, usually within a day. There's also a more general "Hey Pinnacle!" forum for directly talking with the staff, although depending on the request they may not respond.
- Mook: Extra rules facilitate this.
- Pulp Magazine / Two-Fisted Tales: A major influence on the style of play.
- Point Build System
- Psychic Powers
- Stock Super Powers