open/close all folders
- In Sin City, John Hartigan is behind bars and unable to protect Nancy, a young girl who had previously survived a Serial Killer. His anguish over her possible anguish drives him to get parole and go rescue her. Turns out to be an Exploited Trope: the finger Junior showed Hartigan wasn't actually Nancy's. Junior and his cronies couldn't find Nancy on their own for years, so they manipulated Hartigan into doing it for them.
- In the "Tarnished Angel" arc of Astro City, Steeljack, prisoner and believing that the Honor Guard did not believe him about the danger, breaks free and get back to the city because he realizes that the small-time crooks of the city had no one to protect them against a murderer but him.
Films — Animation
- In Tangled, Flynn is anguished at the thought not so much of his impending execution as the danger that Rapunzel is in — it is not until he realizes that Mother Gothel plotted the whole thing that he begins to struggle, and his pleas are about the terrible danger she is in.
- In Brave, Fergus locks Merida to keep her safe while he and his men chase down and slaughter a large black bear. However, the bear they are chasing is Merida's mother Elinor. Merida already told her father but he did not believe her. With Merida locked away, she couldn't come to her mother's aid.
Films — Live-Action
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Bard begs the guards to release him so he can shoot the remaining black arrow when he realizes that Smaug is approaching Laketown (and therefore, his children).
- In Wendy and Lucy, Wendy is apprehended for shoplifting, and worries about her dog who is tied up outside the shop, whilst she is taken into custody. The dog, Lucy, goes missing before Wendy is able to return.
- Kyle Reese in The Terminator is restrained inside a police station while the T-800 model 101 is in the middle of a killing spree, but Kyle manages to release himself in time to protect Sarah Connor once again.
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Sarah Connor is locked up in an insane asylum and desperately begs to be released so she can protect her son John from future attacks by Skynet.
Sarah: Please. He's in great danger. He's naked without me.
- In the movie Face/Off, this happens to FBI agent Archer briefly after his face transplant, when Castor (who stole Archer's face, after Archer had Castor's face transplanted to his to infiltrate Castor's gang in prison) taunts him and tells him he's going to take over his life and the role of husband and father to his family, while Archer is locked up and mistaken for Castor.
- A variation in Time After Time, where the hero is caught by the police with him being suspected of Jack the Ripper's latest murder spree. He begs them to send someone to protect his girlfriend.
Live Action TV
- This can happen to Ethan in Heavy Rain if he's arrested twice. Jayden will save him the first time, but if it happens again Ethan will spend the rest of the game locked in a holding cell. And if the real killer isn't brought to justice, Ethan will hang himself after he's found guilty for the Origami murders.
- In Persona 4, Yu is eventually arrested by his own uncle, a detective, when there's clear evidence that Yu is withholding evidence about a high-profile serial murder case. Dojima drags him to the station and begins to interrogate him. The problem is, this leaves Dojima's daughter (and Yu's cousin) Nanako defenseless at home, and then it's revealed that she's the killer's next target...
- In The Order of the Stick, Elan's worries in prison revolve as much about the danger that Nale's infiltration of the team puts Haley in as about his own innocence.
- Defied in the DuckTales episode "Hero For Hire"; Launchpad fakes a fatal crash so that he can avoid getting sent to prison and being unable to rescue Doofus.
- In a Shout-Out to Face/Off, an episode of The Simpsons has Sideshow Bob switch faces with another cellmate. When Marge and Bart visited "Bob", he tried to warn them of Bart being in danger, but the new mouth made him unintelligible and caused him go get locked in a padded cell.