This is going to be special episode. This is going to be a Pilot
, Pilot Movie
, Grand Finale
, Origins Episode
, Reunion Show
, or maybe even a Very Special Episode
. Or regular episode, in which we want something that will make it special. We need a guest star, but not any guest star
. And not another episode where Metallica's in town
. We need someone real big, like, like...like president of the United States! Or Russia! Or British prime minister! Maybe even a member of Royal Family! Or Pope! No matter - he just needs to be well-recognized political or religious leader. If he's popular, cover with his face itself will earn thousands. And if for some reason people don't like him, we will just chip with him, and they will love us. It doesn't matter, if the whole story will go round about him
, or he will make only short appearance
, if at all
- it will work perfectly.
Compare Our Presidents Are Different
The actual politician, in person
Just the politician's likeness
- George Bush Jr. has a guest apperance in The Ultimates.
- Barack Obama got a special, short story in The Amazing Spider-Man. And thankt to Follow the Leader effect it was followed by his apperances in Thunderbolts, Secret Warriors, The Savage Dragon, Youngblood, opening of Maverl Super Hero Squad cartoon, and even making him main character in Conan the Barbarian parody comics, and sequel of some After the End comic.
- Obama appeared as a playable 'character' (actually a skin) in the add-on to Mercenaries 2: World in Flames, although he wasn't actually President yet at the time. Sarah Palin was also playable. Sadly, he's only playable in the add-on missions, and all of them are vehicle-based, meaning you only really get to see him in the hub area, and can't take the POTUS on a mass Venezuelan killing-spree. Now that would have got Chavez pissed off.
- Perhaps it should be mentioned that before the election (and to a lesser extent afterward) John McCain and Sarah Palin also got comics based on them. Not to mention Michelle Obama, and the new White House dog.
- Canadian example that does this with the Queen, sort of. The absolutely terrible 1980s Captain Canada comic by Geoff Stirling features a cameo by Liz and Chuck as they are about to get stepped on by a giant robot, only to be rescued by the greatest Canadian hero ever (oh, and Captain Canada)◊!
- Captain Britain had Gordon Brown in it once, which naturally amused the British Newspapers immensely: Telegraph, Mail, Sun. (Clue: that looks nothing like him.)
- President Kennedy was occasionally treated like this. There was a Superman story where he reveals his secret ID to the President, causing unfortunate implications (but not Unfortunate Implications) when he died at the time the issue came out and the story could be taken to mean his secret's safe with the President because he's dead.
- Of course Kennedy was treated like a pop star too.
- The Kennedy Superman example also has JFK holding up a picture of John Glenn as an example and Superman being impressed. Only in The Sixties...
- Ronald and Nancy Reagan appeared in Ed The Happy Clown by Chester Brown, but they deliberately look nothing like their Real World counterparts. The prime minister of Canada shows up, too. Further subverted by the fact that the talking head of a "Dimension X" version of Reagan appears on Ed the Happy Clown's penis.
- As mentioned above, Obama appeared in Savage Dragon but he was not the first president to appear in the pages of that series. Both Bill Clinton and George W. Bush have appeared in the past.
- In the first episode of the live-action version of The Tick, the heroes must save former president Jimmy Carter from a communist Killer Robot. The fact that it's not a real cameo is lampshaded by making him The Faceless.
- The Games had John Howard (the actor) pretending to be John Howard (the Prime Minister).