open/close all folders
- Magic: The Gathering includes a card called 'Razor Pendulum' depicting this device.
Films — Live-Action
- The 2012 horror/mystery film The Raven 2012, starring John Cusack in the role of Edgar Allan Poe, contains multiple reenactments of Poe's horror stories. Included is a scene where the "Pit and the Pendulum" scenario is recreated and successfully kills its victim.
- Czech Surrealist Jan Svankmajer directed a 15-minute live action short film called The Pendulum, the Pit and Hope, based on "The Pit and the Pendulum" and the short story "A Torture by Hope" by Villiers de l'Isle-Adam. It is a fairly faithful adaptation of both stories, featuring a unique first-person camera perspective and segments produced in Svankmajer's trademark stop-motion and cut-out animation. It also shows some of the mechanisms behind the pendulum's operation.
- Roger Corman's 1961 version of The Pit and the Pendulum has little to do with its namesake outside of utilizing the trope toward its finale. The film centers around a sixteenth century Englishman visiting his brother-in-law's castle to investigate the death of his sister.
- The 2009 version directed by David DeCoteau also bears little resemblance to the original story but utilizes the large swinging pendulum in the penultimate scene. The film follows a group of university students who visit a hypnotherapy institute lorded over by a sinister hypnotist who wants to use the students to experiment with the possibility of breaking the pain threshold.
- Fu Manchu uses this as a Death Trap in Chapter 4 of the Film Serial Drums of Fu Manchu. The chapter is titled "Pendulum of Doom".
- Saw V: Seth Baxter wakes up in a room, chained to a table, with two vices on either side of it. Above him, is a large, bladed pendulum that begins to swing after his tape is completed. Seth has to push buttons in the back of the vices that will crush his hands in order to stop the Pendulum from reaching his body, as his hands are the "tools" that caused harm to others. In sixty seconds, the pendulum will cut him in half if he doesn't succeed. Seth inserts his hands into the vices, but quickly pulls them out in fear. Trying again, he succeeds in crushing his hands and the Pendulum ceases swinging for a few moments, but after a short pause, the Pendulum reactivates and descends far enough to begin cutting into his abdomen, and eventually slices him in half, confirming that the trap was inescapable.
- Deathstalker II: Duel of the Titans: Sultana captures Deathstalker and straps him to a table where a giant pendulum swings closer and closer to his private parts.
- Ghoulies II: The ghoulies use the pendulum in the horror house at the carnival to murder a teenager.
- Elviras Haunted Hills shows Elvira herself beneath a swinging blade, though oddly positioned to be severed lengthwise, not crosswise. Mustn't harm the boobs, after all.
- In The Torture Chamber Of Dr Sadism (a.k.a. The Blood Demon, The Snake Pit and the Pendulum and castle of the Walking Dead), Roger is imprisoned in a pit beneath a descending pendulum after being captured by Count Regula (Christopher Lee) and then attempting to escape.
- The Uncanny: In 1936, in Hollywood, the actor Valentine De'ath replaces the blade of a fake pendulum to kill his actress wife, and give his young mistress and aspiring actress a chance. The cat of his wife avenges her.
- In Dr Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine, a descending pendulum is one of the torture devices in Dr. Goldfoot's headquarters (and the film reuses footage from another Vincent Price vehicle The Pit and the Pendulum).
- Looney Tunes: Back in Action: In the films climax, the Chairman's Death Trap for DJ's father includes one of these on top of a Train of Death, crates of TNT, and a 2-ton anvil. However, he decides that the Pendulum is overkill and orders Wile E. Coyote to remove it.
- The Trope Maker is Edgar Allan Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum", where such a device is used by the Spanish Inquisition to torture the narrator.
- The Martian Chronicles: In "Usher II", all of the murders are based on Poe stories. One of the victims is killed by the descending pendulum from "The Pit and the Pendulum".
- MacGyver (1985): The Cliffhanger at the end of the first part of the two-part "Legend of the Holy Rose" has Mac strapped beneath a descending blade on a pendulum in a torture chamber exhibit.
- Night Gallery: In "A Question of Fear", Colonel Mallory lies down on a bed in a supposedly haunted house. Steel restraints suddenly emerge and cover his chest, locking him in. Then a swinging razor-sharp swinging pendulum descends, moving closer and closer to his neck. Just short of slicing his throat, the pendulum stops. The next morning the restraints and pendulum are gone.
- This formed the challenge for an episode of the horror reality show 13: Fear is Real. In the game "Slice and Dice", the first contestant to untie themselves before the swinging pendulum chops them in half is saved from death.
- I Dream of Jeannie: In "Have You Ever Had A Genie Hate You?", a magic potion causes Jeannie to hate Tony. After putting him through various tortures, in the end, both Tony and Roger find themselves under a swinging pendulum about to slice their throats.
- The Wild Wild West: In "The Night of the Deadly Blossom", Jim West and Japanese agent Ishuda are captured by the villain Barclay. In an effort to get Ishuda to talk, Barclay has West strapped to a table beneath a slowly descending pendulum blade.
- Dark Shadows: In episodes 795 and 796 ("The Pits" and "Death and Taxes") Aristede straps Quentin to a table beneath a slowly descending swinging axe blade as he attempts to extort the Legendary Hand of Count Petofi from Angelique.
- An episode of The Wizard had Simon, Tillie and a Guest-Star Party Member explore a Temple of Doom to return a cursed dagger. At some point the guest star is caught in such a trap, and is rescued seconds before the pendulum reaches where his neck was.
- Referenced in "The Poet and the Pendulum" by Nightwish:
Be still, my son
Oh when did you become so cold?
The blade will keep on descending
All you need is to feel my love
- The Symphony X song "King of Terrors" is essentially a musical retelling and summary of The Pit and the Pendulum. Its second verse tackles this trope:
Awake again - paralyzed
I'm shackled to this altar
sacrificed to their God
'Inch by Inch and Line by Line'
The Blade - descending lost in time
The fiends of Doom they call my name
I slip away...into black I fade away
- This is how Lord Blackthorne executes one of your companions if you get caught in Ultima V.
- One deathtrap in Dragon's Lair requires Dirk the Daring to traverse a passageway where three of these swinging blades await to One-Hit Kill Dirk, who must Press X to Not Die to dodge these blades.
- Phantasmagoria: In the past, Marie conspired with her lover, Gaston, to kill her bluebeard husband Carno by sabotaging the equipment for his most infamous and dangerous escapology trick, in which Carno dons a burning hood and escapes from bonds on a throne equipped with an overhead pendulous axe. The sabotage leaves Carno horribly burned and disfigured, but he survives and viciously attacks Marie and Gaston. After killing Marie by beheading her with the same pendulous throne, Carno is killed by Gaston just before he succumbs to his own wounds. In the present, Don (who is possessed by a demon) captures Adrienne and straps her into the pendulous throne, but she distracts him long enough to free herself from the throne and trigger the pendulum, which impales and kills Don.
- This is the threat of the Scissor Twins urging you to go forward in Clock Tower 3. They're holding Alyssa's friend Dennis in this situation. At one point, the pendulum stops swinging and drops straight on him.Good thing it's just a dummy.
- In the torture chambers of the Nali Castle in Unreal, you find one of these, though with no victims strapped to the slab.
- A common breed of trap in later Deception games
- In Champions of Faraus, the last room in the House of insanity Skye and Karla have to go through has one. It isn't much of a problem for long, as Karla summons Kara, a corporeal spirit who weighs one ton, on top of the blade so it stops moving.
- The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: In "London Town Treachery", the Hooded Claw captures Penelope and attempts to kill her using a pendulum that swings lower and lower.
- One episode of Disney Television's Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers titled "A Lad In His Lamp" had The Villain's henchman Mole attain possession of a magic lamp, complete with obedient genie. When the Rangers attempt to confiscate the lamp, Fat Cat roars at Mole to "wish for something, you ninny!" The next instant shows the captured Rangers affixed beneath an oscillating blade, watching its slow descent. In a Pet the Dog moment, Fat Cat declares, "Why, Mole, you surprise me."
- On The Flintstones episode "Dr. Sinister", Fred and Barney are caught in a situation like this one. Fred asks Barney what James Bondrock would do in such a situation. Barney remembers him using the pendulum to cut his hand bonds - which he does and it works!
- In The Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode "The Adventures of Sherlock Mario", the gang (Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess Toadstool) are captured by "Professor Koopiarty", Bowser's Sherlock Holmes-themed alter ego for the episode. They get tied up and subject to this, Koopiarty taunting them with "In a few moments, you'll be sliced salami!" as he starts the blade.