Directed by Dan Riba
Written by Jim Steranko (Teleplay by J. M. De Matteis)The full name of this episode is "The Ties That Bind (a.k.a. Miracles Happen)".Mister Miracle and Big Barda solicit Justice League assistance to free Oberon from Apokolips. J'onn refuses, but Flash decides to help out on his own.
This episode contains examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Shayera.
- Accidental Misnaming:Flash: Great news, Bertha! You don't have to!
Barda: (grabs the Flash by the neck and raises him up) BARDA!
Flash: (meekly)'' Isn't that what I said?
- Actor Allusion: "Verrry IN-teresting, but ________!" was one of Arte Johnson's Catchphrase on Laugh-In.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Both Granny Goodness and Virman Vundabar are vying to takeover Apokolips in Darkseid's absence, but neither can overcome the other. J'onn is certain, though, that whoever won would eventually present a threat to Earth.
- Call Forward: Flash and Elongated Man wonder if Mister Miracle and Barda are League members. The latter would be by the time of Batman Beyond.
- Determinator: Mister Miracle, past and present.
- Dragon Ascendant: Virman Vundabar and Granny Goodness both attempt to be this.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Flash feels he gets no respect despite being a founding member of the League. Elongated Man sympathizes, feeling he gets similar treatment despite having been fighting crime longer than there's been a League.
- Enemy Civil War: Apokolips has fallen into civil war since Darkseid "vanished", with Granny Goodness and Virman Vundabar leading the factions. In an instance of the League playing Realpolitik, Jonn Jonzz tells Flash that it is in their interest that it continue since it keeps Apokolips from turning its attention to Earth and other planets.
- Hypocritical Humor:Flash: Tell me the truth, Ralph. Do I seem immature to you?
Elongated Man: Not in the least.
(camera pulls back to show they're playing Brawlin' Bots, which Flash wins)
Flash: Ha, I bopped your block off!
Elongated Man: That-that's not fair! The green guy's arms are longer!
Flash: Are not!
- Mythology Gag: Flash says he's treated like a kid sidekick, which was how Wally got his start in the comics.
- The Needs of the Many: J'onn's justification for refusing to get involved in the Enemy Civil War on Apokolips. Basically, it's better for everybody if the two factions are focused on fighting each other rather than anyone else. Flash gets involved anyway.
- Not So Above It All: After Flash expects J'onn to yell at him for what he did:J'onn: I was only going to ask if you wanted to play "Brawlin' Bots."
Flash: Dibs on the green one! (zips away)
J'onn: I wanted the green one...
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Flash helps out Mister Miracle and Big Barda, even though this is in violation of rules.
- Shout-Out to Shakespeare: Granny Goodness forces Mister Miracle and Big Barda to help rescue Kalibak from Virman Vundabar. When the two are about to finish off Granny Goodness in the end, Martian Manhunter points out the Enemy Civil War needs to continue. Scott remarks, "A curse on both their houses."
- Stripperiffic: Big Barda starts out wearing this, but she reveals her full body armour later on.
- Throw It In: According to Word Of God, Arte Johnson ad-libbed "You dum-dums."
- Unexplained Recovery: When last seen, Granny Goodness had her mind fried by Superman. She's perfectly fine here. Word Of God confirmed no one thought explaining it was worth the trouble.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Flash wants to help Mister Miracle and Barda simply because he feels it's the right thing to do. J'onn tells him he's not seeing the bigger picture.
- Written-In Absence: Superman is on a mission in deep space.