This is when a person's mouth and lips are pretty much all showing on the screen. Potentially it can be a sign of mystery, used to hide the identity of the person speaking. Otherwise it can just be to emphasize the mouth. Usually a step away from Eat The Camera
This is a sister tropes of Eyedscreen
, which features a screen shot of a pair of eyes.
Needs More Examples
open/close all folders
- Diet Pepsi: This commercial from 1984 is an example: 
- Any commercial hawking teeth whitening or toothpaste is prone to this.
- This Coors Light commercial from 1997. 
- The numerous Pepsodent commercials such as this one: 
- In nearly every Detective Conan episode, there is a point where we get a closeup of a characters mouth talking ominous like. Sometimes making their debut or when they're saying something important.
- The theatrical poster to Inside Deep Throat depicts a woman's mouth with the movie title in between the half-open lips.
- In the 1985 film, Weird Science, a scene in which Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-Smith are having a conversation in the shower stall during a party, we get shots of their mouths.
- A closeup of Patricia Quinn's mouth lip-syncing to "Science Fiction Double Feature" is used for the opening credits of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- Always Crashing In The Same Car features several close-ups of Paul McGann's mouth.
- "Say 'ahhhh!'" "Ahhhhh!" "Say 'AAAHH!'" "AAAHHHH!" "NOW SPIT!"
- One of the most iconic examples is in Citizen Kane. The first we see of the title character is a close up of his lips as he says his last words: "Rosebud"
- In David Lynch's 1984 adaptation of Dune, Doctor Yueh's mouth is shown in a closeup flashback reminding Duke Leto about the poison gas tooth intended to kill Baron Harkonnen.
- Rick Springfield: "Bop 'Til You Drop"
- LL Cool J: "Going Back To Cali"
- and this parody from Colin Quinn: 
- Frank Zappa: "You Are What You Is" 
- One of the many, many shots in "Dare to Be Stupid" is "Weird Al" Yankovic's head, upside down and with googly-eyes stuck on his chin, with the camera pulled up close to the mouth.
- The Adventuresof Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius episode "The Mighty Wheezers; there is a closeup of Carl's dad's mouth when he's singing a long note before the whole family sings that singing and sitting song.
- Rugrats episode "Stu Gets a Job"; the episode starts with a closeup of Stu's mouth eating chips and drinking soda while watching TV with Tommy.
- Timon & Pumbaa episode "Beast of Eden"; the episode ends with Pumbaa showing he has one of the leader's teeth in his mouth.
- SpongeBob SquarePants:
- "The Fry Cook Games" After Plankton and Mr. Krabs' give their speeches SpongeBob and Patrick give off a war cry.
- "One Krabs Trash" with Mr. Krabs as he announces his plan to scare SpongeBob's #1 hat off of him.
- "Truth or Square" again with Mr. Krabs as he begins to tell SpongeBob the Krabby Patty formula.
- The Simpsons episode "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish"; with Homer while he's eating a piece of toast which he compliments to Marge about.