open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Kare Kano, Yukino's mother Miyako figures out that she's pregnant before anyone else does (including Soichiro), and acts as her confidante. She warns Yukino that when she recently brought up the subject of her relationship with Soichiro to her father Takashi, his reaction was that "Yukino's too young to even kiss." Needless to say, when Soichiro asks her parents for permission to marry and explains why, her father's less than thrilled.
- Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu: Even if the fearsome
crime bossbusinessman Nogizaka Gento wants his little girl Nogizaka Haruka to stay "pure" forever, his very "convincing" wife, Akiho, isn't going to have any of that, oh no...
- My Bride Is a Mermaid: Compared to her
borderlinepsychotic husband Seto Gozaburo, who has a tendency to send assassins after his son in law Nagasumi, Mermaid Yakuza Queen Seto Ren was absolutely delighted when she mistook his drying of her daughter San's fins as public sex ("My oh my, kids will do it anywhere these days.") She provides (not so) helpful love potions to speed up their blossoming marriage along with advice and encouragement, when she's not occasionally trying to seduce the boy herself, that is.
- Ichigo of Tokyo Mew Mew has exactly this family. Shintaro's an Overprotective Dad but Sakura gives her all the help she needs and more.
- Sailor Moon: Usagi's father Kenji was very overprotective whereas her mother Ikuko was all "bring your boyfriend home for dinner!".
- Up to Eleven in Space Patrol Luluco. Lalaco lets Luluco borrow her Cool Starship and provides air support so she can confess to Nova. Keiji is less than pleased, but he helps anyway.
- One chapter of the Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfic "A Mother's Love" (dealing primarily with the relationship between Mai and her own daughter, but containing the rest of the family as well) has this. As Ursa (the daughter, named of course after the Ursa) is both the youngest of four and the only girl, Zuko is incredibly protective of her to the point of severely frightening all her potential boyfriends. Mai reminds him that she was younger than Ursa when she fell in love with him. Zuko lightens up a little, but is still extremely protective.
- Father of the Bride (1991) : George Banksis an example of this throughout the entire movie and into the sequel. He hates the idea of his daughter getting married, dislikes her fiance the moment he meets him and continues to do so despite the young man's many attributes—a nice guy with good looks/education/job/family, and when his daughter announces her pregnancy, is further incensed and completely convinced that the young man somehow took advantage of her. Needless to say, his wife's feelings are the complete opposite of his.
- Meet the Parents : Pam's mom is supportive of her daughter's relationship with Gaylord Focker, as opposed to her frighteningly Knight Templar Parent of a CIA-Agent Dad Jack.
- Averted in 10 Things I Hate About You. The father (partly because he is a gynecologist for teenage mothers) is obsessed with keeping his daughters pure, but being widowed, there is no wife/mother to help him out and assure him that things are ok. Left to himself he goes overboard with this trope.
- In Ice Age 4: Continental Drift, Manny is extremely overprotective of his daughter Peaches. Ellie is more relaxed, though.
- Journey to Chaos: Sathel is much more open to the idea of Tiza dating Nolien than her husband. For comparison, she will try to maneuverer Nolien into complimenting Tiza while her husband gives him a death glare that can be felt through a blindfold.
- Roseanne warms up to her daughters' boyfriends much sooner than Dan, who's an Overprotective Dad to the letter.
- Happens in The George Lopez Show when Carmen brings home Jason. George insists that they interview him and he seems perfect. Angie is okay with them dating, until they find out that Jason wants to keep her a secret.
- The Trisha Yearwood song "She's in Love with the Boy" has a classic example of this in its third verse, where Katie's father is about to unleash his wrath upon Katie's boyfriend Tommy when they come home after midnight. Katie's mother breaks in and reminds her husband that he wasn't that much different from Tommy back in the day, and that they had faced just as much opposition from her father.
"My daddy said you wasn't worth a lick;
When it came to brains, you had the short end of the stick.
But he was wrong, and honey, you are too.
Katie looks at Tommy like I still look at you."
- In Clannad: After Story, Akio is torn between denial ("How did that happen?"), happiness at becoming a grandfather, and wanting to strangle Tomoya when he finds out that his married daughter Nagisa is pregnant. Sanae, however, is delighted.