A comedy/romance trope in which a guy starts by kissing a woman's hand
and works his way up her arm to her neck. Usually used to identify the man as either The Casanova
or a pervert. Mostly a Dead Horse Trope
nowadays, but can be found in many older works (particularly animated shorts).
Common reactions are shyness
, swooning, or slapping.
Live Action TV
- Inversed and parodied in Batman: Vicky Vale kisses up the Joker's arm.
- The Addams Family. Gomez Addams, whenever Morticia spoke French.
- Inverted and parodied in a sketch/dance sequence on The Benny Hill Show parodying the "Naughty Bits" of The Kenny Everett Show. In this version the (old, ugly) men play the parts normally done by young women and young women have the male roles. A woman kisses up an arm, finds the face of Benny Hill at the top, gives a disgusted Aside Glance, and kisses back down the arm to go away.
- Star Trek: Voyager. In "Shattered" Captain Janeway finds herself Strapped to an Operating Table in Tom Paris' The Adventures of Captain Proton holodeck program. In order to escape she has to vamp up to hammy holodeck villain Dr Chaotica.
Chaotica: Oh Arachnia, you DO love me!
Janeway: How can I resist your...magnificence?
Chaotica: Together we will rule the cosmos, and grind out enemies into dust! (kisses his way up her arm; Janeway looks disgusted)
Janeway: (to Chakotay) If we restore the timeline, remind me to cancel Mr Paris' holodeck privileges.
- In MC Hammer's "Addams Family Groove" for the 1991 film he kisses up Morticia's arm.
- Used by Ali the salesman in Oklahoma!. He calls it the "French Goodbye."
- In a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream the two male leads (under the influence of a love spell) both grab one of Helena's hands and kiss it. They try to one up each other by kissing up her arm, and it finished with one of them sniffing her hair. Needless to say, Helena is not amused.
- In The Sims 2 one of the "Kiss" options was this.
- In one of A-gnosis' spinoffs to the webcomic, the god Dionysos does an even more naughty variant of this, by licking up the arm. Here's the picture. The recipient is delighted.
- The prancing forest-elf Jolly Elfsberry tries this trick on Antimony in Gunnerkrigg Court before being... diverted by Sir Egalmore's sword. (Actually, he's Coyote in disguise, but that's neither here nor there.) Heres's the page.
- Tom and Jerry of Tom and Jerry sometimes do this.
- Looney Tunes did this commonly. The Pepe le Pew shorts often had them the most.
- Disney has done this as well. Some examples:
- The Addams Family. Gomez Addams also does this in the animated series.
- In the Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels episode "The Dummy" upon finding a diamond ring Captain Caveman does this to Taffy then puts it on her finger and asks her to marry him, before she can respond the ring is taken by the police as evidence.
- Popeye sometimes does this to Olive Oyl when he greets her.