A title of the form "How To X", where X is descriptive of what happens in the story (and typically, not something the audience would have ever wondered how to do).
- How to Train Your Dragon
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
- How to Teach Physics to Your Dog
- How To Live Safely In A Science-Fictional Universe by Charles Yu.
- There's a The Zack Files book called How To Speak Dolphin in Three Easy Lessons.
- How To Eat Fried Worms
- Dale Carnegie's "How To Win Friends and Influence People" line of books. Possibly the Trope Maker.
- How NOT To Write A Novel
- How to Lose Friends and Alienate People is the title of an obscure 1937 book, a 2001 memoir, and a 2008 film based on the memoir.
- John Barth's novel The End of the Road was originally going to be called What To Do Until the Doctor Comes, but the publisher was concerned it would be mistaken for a book on first aid.
- How to Succeed in Evil is titled this way.
- A slight variation: So You Want to Be a Wizard, the title of both the first book in a series by Diane Duane and the in-universe textbook the main character finds.
- How To Irritate People
- Monty Python's Flying Circus sketch "How Not to be Seen"
''"Number one: The larch. The. Larch."
- "Episode 3: How to Recognize Different Types of Trees from Quite a Long Way Away"
- How To Get Away With Murder
- "How to Save a Life" by The Fray.
- The U2 album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
- "How to Disappear Completely" by Radiohead, from Kid A.
- How to Operate with a Blown Mind by Lo Fidelity All-Stars
- "How to Handle a Rope" by Queens of the Stone Age
- "How to Fight Loneliness" by Wilco
- How to Steal a Jet Fighter by The Prodigy
- "How to Say Goodbye" by The Magnetic Fields
- Variation: The Byrds' "So You Wanna Be a Rock-n-Roll Star"
- Every episode of The Burkiss Way: "Peel Bananas The Burkiss Way", "Become a Rock Star the Burkiss Way", "Discover Gravity the Burkiss Way", ...