Examples In Fiction:Anime and Manga
- Used incorrectly in Negima! by Asuna while fishing.
If you teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a day, but if you give him a fish he'll just eat a bunch of fish!
- Dilbert: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will buy a silly hat. And if you talk to hungry people about fishing, you are a consultant."
- In the Discworld novel Jingo: "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Parks and Recreation:
- Ron Swanson: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard".
- The Leader of the "Kaboom" playground-building team: "Take a man to Kabooming, and he Kabooms. Teach a man to Kaboom, and KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM!!".
- Quoted by Archer in the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Mauraders", when deciding the best way to protect a colony of miners from being bullied regularly by a group of Klingons is to teach them how to stand up for themselves.
- Arrested Development: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish..." "... and he'll want to use your yacht, and I don't want this thing smelling like fish."
- The Booze Traveler on learning how to make Austrian pastries: "You know what they say - feed a man a pastry, he'll eat for a day... but teach him how to bake, and he's... gonna gain weight."
- Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stand at the top of a cliff, whisk pigs off the ground, and snipe them out of the air.
- On the subject of how incredibly addictive Minecraft can be:
- As said by Minsc in Baldur's Gate, after giving money to a beggar:
"You should have given him a sword! Give a man a fish and he feeds himself for a day. Give a man a sword, and he can chow down on the meaty marrow of evil!"
- Parodied with the Pandaren in World of Warcraft
"Teach a man to fish, and he is fed for a day. Uh, no, uh...he is fed. I...I messed it up, but we just make this stuff up anyway."
- Parodied in Fable II in a loading screen. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stink up the whole town.
- Parodied with one of the "pearls of wisdom" dispensed by Beatrix Russell in Fallout: New Vegas:
"Feed a man for free. He'll be back asking for more. Feed a man a bullet. You won't hear from him again."
- Schlock Mercenary: Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
Maxim 21: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.
- The alt-text of this XKCD says "Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only remaining vial of antidote."
- The Order of the Stick here. The title of that day's strip is, "Technically, the 'Fish' Version is a Subset of This One."
Belkar: Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!
- From This El Goonish Shive B-Side Comics strip: "Couldn't you just give me a fish?"
- Parodied in DM of the Rings: Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman. Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.
- Mountain Time: Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Give a man some worms and you feed the fish, too.
Real Life/Other Examples
- Straight example: This trope is the reason why Heifer International exists. They donate livestock and plants to poor families around the world, as well as train them. In fact, this started when Dan West, the founder, was giving milk to refugee children and then thought that giving cows would be a better idea.
- Jason Love's Snapshots — the Robin Hood cartoon◊.
- Jackie Kashian gave us the salesman's version: "Give a man a fish, and that man knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish, and you've just destroyed your market base. What the hell is wrong with you?"
- There's an unusual twist on one floating around the internet: Give a fish a fish, and you introduce the concept of slavery to an entire species. Teach a fish to fish, and you make him a mythical, nightmarish murderer feared by his own kind.
- Or, "give a man a fish, and make it illegal to teach fishing".
- There's another version, source also unknown, although somewhat well-spread across the internet, that goes like this: "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will dragnet the bottom of the ocean floor, dump 90% of what he catches as unmarketable, pollute the skies with greasy black smoke from his fish canning factories, wipe out the various species of fish that he has been exploiting, devastate the ecosystem, process his dead into Human Resources, fall into a deadly downward spiral of food-riots and warfare, blow up the planet, and be succeeded on the top of the food-chain by cockroaches."
- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in your boat and drink all your beer.
- Quoth Jeremy Keith, on his book Bulletproof Ajax: "Give someone a fish and they’ll think you’re a bit of weirdo; teach someone how to fish and they’ll wonder what fishing has got to do with web design."
- A joke/variation accredited to wives both happy and annoyed:
"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you get him out of the house on the weekend."