Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter
So Bob and Alice are having a conversation. As they talk, Alice begins to talk about how much she loves nice, firm and juicy melons. On a hot day, when the sweat begins to bead down the nape of her neck, there is nothing she loves more than sinking her teeth in to one. Oh, and melon balls! For her, there is nothing more enjoyable than sucking juice out of a couple of those before taking them into her mouth. Meanwhile, Bob reaches off to the side to grab some tissues
. For a moment, she is confused. Then she suddenly realizes what wrong and shouts at Bob "Get your mind out of the gutter!"
This is a common stock phrase used whenever someone takes something innocent out of context and let their imaginations run a little to wild. Expect dopey, vacant expressions on those with their minds in the wrong place and confused looks from anyone who doesn't understand why they are making those faces.
It is often used as a response to Heh Heh, You Said X
, That's What She Said
, and Double Entendre
See also Freud Was Right
and Accidental Innuendo
Anime and Manga
Bender: What about on the roof?
Professor: Get your mind out of the gutter!
Bender: How about in the gutter?
- When Jonny Paula of Ideo Productions (now called Jogwheel) began producing videos in HD, he made a video informing viewers of the upgrade. He pointed out that they would be seeing some "changes" around the channel, but he's not talking about puberty so get your mind out of the gutter.
- The Joker in The Joker Blogs has used this phrase a few times.
- In The Whitest Kids U' Know's sketch The Grapist, one of the characters delivers this very line.
"Sir! Get your MIND out of the gutter! He's a GRAPE! How is a grape gonna rape a... No!"
- How Familiar Faces's CR describes the action fanservice anime Grenadier:
CR: It's a show that wants to "get your head outta the gutter" at the same time yelling "Hey everybody! Check out my kick-ass gutter!"
- M*A*S*H. Someone uses this line to Trapper who replies, "I can't help it, it's attached to my body."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season Four, Beer Bad, Buffy calls Willow 'Gutter Brain' when Willow takes Buffy's account of the previous night to involve group sex, not drinking beer with four guys.
- Dorothy to Blanche in one episode of The Golden Girls.
- When Santana hears a phrase that is full of Innocent Innuendo, she loudly snarls "Wanky!", which has led other Glee characters to snap an annoyed comment along the lines of this trope.
- In tabletop gaming comic Larry Leadhead, the guys are seriously into models. Just not the Ms. Fanservice kind.No - it's the other sort of model. Plastic, resin and metal scale models and construction kits. They get tired of correcting this misperception. note