Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter
So Bob and Alice are having a conversation. As they talk, Alice begins to talk about how much she loves nice, firm and juicy melons. On a hot day, when the sweat begins to bead down the nape of her neck, there is nothing she loves more than sinking her teeth in to one. Oh, and melon balls! For her, there is nothing more enjoyable than sucking juice out of a couple of those before taking them into her mouth. Meanwhile, Bob reaches off to the side to grab some tissues. For a moment, she is confused. Then she suddenly realizes what wrong and shouts at Bob "Get your mind out of the gutter!" This is a common stock phrase used whenever someone takes something innocent out of context and let their imaginations run a little to wild. Expect dopey, vacant expressions on those with their minds in the wrong place and confused looks from anyone who doesn't understand why they are making those faces. It is often used as a response to Heh Heh, You Said X, That's What She Said, and Double Entendre. See also Freud Was Right and Accidental Innuendo.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- One yonkoma about Subaru and Teana from Nanoha StrikerS has Subaru act out her hidden perverted tendencies when Teana smacks her on the head, ordering:
Teana: "Mind. Out of the gutter. NOW."
- Bleach anime episode #200. Uryu Ishida and Renji Abarai are appalled when Captain Kurotsuchi apparently revives his lieutenant Nemu by bringing her to orgasm. Kurotsuchi denies doing anything unsuitable for family viewing, then gives them this Stock Phrase.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!: When Haruna creates a Negi golem for her classmates to practice romance on, she adds that she's added 23.5 cm for their enjoyment. When all the girls present go bright red, she clarifies: "Get your minds outta the gutter! I'm talking about his tongue!" They protest that that's even worse.
- Batman lobs one at Robin in For the Man Who Has Everything for the excessive attention he pays to Wonder Woman's attire.
- Paraphrased in one X-men comic. Jean is talking to Scott during a picnic, only to notice that he spaced out... and Psylocke is slowly emerging from the lake.
Scott: Oh... sorry. My mind was...elsewhere.Jean: In the gutter, I guess.
Professor: A couple of robosexuals? Not under my roof!Bender: What about on the roof?Professor: Get your mind out of the gutter!Bender: How about in the gutter?
- When Jonny Paula of Ideo Productions (now called Jogwheel) began producing videos in HD, he made a video informing viewers of the upgrade. He pointed out that they would be seeing some "changes" around the channel, but he's not talking about puberty so get your mind out of the gutter.
- The Joker in The Joker Blogs has used this phrase a few times.
- In The Whitest Kids U Know's sketch The Grapist, one of the characters delivers this very line.
"Sir! Get your MIND out of the gutter! He's a GRAPE! How is a grape gonna rape a... No!"
- How Familiar Faces's CR describes the action fanservice anime Grenadier:
CR: It's a show that wants to "get your head outta the gutter" at the same time yelling "Hey everybody! Check out my kick-ass gutter!"
- M*A*S*H. Someone uses this line to Trapper who replies, "I can't help it, it's attached to my body."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season Four, Beer Bad, Buffy calls Willow 'Gutter Brain' when Willow takes Buffy's account of the previous night to involve group sex, not drinking beer with four guys.
- Dorothy to Blanche in one episode of The Golden Girls.