My shield says "Nyahhh!" to you, sir!
can have some amazing and intricate designs on them. In particular, those resembling faces. Probably for intimidation.
No, this isn't about masks.
Compare with Rage Helm
open/close all folders
- In the Lone Wolf books, this is a common feature of the illustrations by Gary Chalk. The Magnamund Companion has some notable examples too.
- Power Rangers:
- The occasional Megazord uses a component mecha's head as a shield, including the Mastodon in season 1 of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Elephant in Power Rangers Wild Force. The Thundersaurus Megazord in Power Rangers Dino Thunder could use its Triceratops head as a shield, but rarely did so.
- Also in Dino Thunder, the Blue and Triassic Rangers' personal weapons are shields shaped like ceratopsian heads (Triceratops for Blue, Styracosaurus for Triassic).
Myths & Religion
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- In the first edition Monster Manual, an illustration for the kobold has a fighter with a giant ant's head on his shield.
- Third edition has a Lion's Head Shield.
- Some of the dwarven lord units feature dwarven heads carved into their shields.
- Several of the shields for Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors also feature daemonic faces. Valkia the Bloody has a shield with an actual daemon's head bound to it.
- The Mirror Shield in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- Very prominent in World of Warcraft — just to show three examples: Humanoid, Lion, Skeletor.
- In the Final Fantasy series, there is the Aegis shield, a shield that brings terror to all who behold it, and contains a demon within. Said demon's face is on the shield.
- The Dragon Quest series has numerous examples.
- The Boss Shield and Tempest Shield have standard intimidating faces.
- The Slime Shield bears the face of everyone's favorite Mascot Mook.
- The Harmour/Evil Armor enemy class has a skull face shield
- The Shielder enemies have shields bigger than their bodies with living faces.
- In The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, both varieties of Daedric shields have some pretty angry looking faces carved into them.
- The Defender Heartless in Kingdom Hearts possesses a shield with a living, giant dog's head growing out of it. And it Randomly Drops as one of Goofy's stronger shields.
- One of the Dragon Age II pre-order items was the Lion of Orlais shield which had the face of a... well, guess.
- Arcane Shield from Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura is a wooden shield with a skull face "surfacing" from it.
- Guild Wars has several — the Ascalon Aegis◊ (and it's variants), the Guardian of the Hunt◊, and most prominently, the Gingerbread Shield◊ are just three such examples.
- The logo of the Knights of Good on The Guild has a shield with a smiley emoticon.
- The paladin from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series had a pegasus on it.
- Monkian from ThunderCats has a shield with a face that shoots cannonballs.