can have some amazing and intricate designs on them. In particular, those resembling faces. Probably for intimidation.
No, this isn't about masks.
- The occasional Power Rangers Megazord uses a component mecha's head as a shield, including the Mastodon in season 1 of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and Elephant in Power Rangers Wild Force. The Thundersaurus Megazord in Power Rangers Dino Thunder could use its Triceratops head as a shield, but rarely did so.
- Also in Dino Thunder, the Blue and Triassic Rangers' personal weapons are shields shaped like ceratopsian heads (Triceratops for Blue, Styracosaurus for Triassic).
- Third edition Dungeons & Dragons had a Lion's Head Shield.
- In the first edition Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual, an illustration for the kobold had a fighter with a giant ant's head on his shield.
- Some of the dwarven lord units in Warhammer feature dwarven heads carved into their shields.
- The Mirror Shield in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- Very prominent in World of Warcraft — just to show three examples: Humanoid, Lion, Skeletor.
- In the Final Fantasy series, there is the Aegis shield, a shield that brings terror to all who behold it, and contains a demon within. Said demon's face is on the shield.
- The Dragon Quest series has numerous examples. The Boss Shield and Tempest Shield have standard intimidating faces, while the Slime Shield bears the face of everyone's favorite Mascot Mook.
- The Harmour/Evil Armor enemy class has a skull face shield, and the Shielder enemies have shields bigger than their bodies with living faces.
- In The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, both varieties of Daedric shields have some pretty angry looking faces carved into them.
- The Defender Heartless in Kingdom Hearts possesses a shield with a living, giant dog's head growing out of it. And it Randomly Drops as one of Goofy's stronger shields.
- One of the Dragon Age II pre-order items was the Lion of Orlais shield which had the face of a... well, guess.
- Arcane Shield from Arcanum is a wooden shield with a skull face "surfacing" from it.
- Guild Wars has several - the Ascalon Aegis◊ (and it's variants), the Guardian of the Hunt◊, and most prominently, the Gingerbread Shield◊ are just three such examples.
- The logo of the Knights of Good on The Guild has a shield with a smiley emoticon.