It's fairly common in TV series to title an episode that introduces a new recurring or main character with Enter (character's name)
or Enter the (attribute/title/race of the new character)
. This has its roots as a stage direction, so it is on the minds of writers more than viewers.
In anime, this can instead be "sono na wa
", "His Name Is". (No, not that His Name Is...
.) Related to I, Noun
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ranma ˝ had a few of those: "Enter Mousse! The Fist of the White Swan", "Enter Ryoga! The Eternal 'Lost Boy'", "Enter Kuno, the Night-Prowling Knight" and "Enter Gosunkugi, the New Rival!?", as well as "Enter Shampoo, the Gung-Ho Girl!"
- InuYasha: "Enter Shippo, Plus the Amazing Thunder Brothers".
- "Enter Sango, the Demon Exterminator"
- The first disc of the Naruto dub-only DVD series is called "Enter: Naruto Uzumaki".
- Digimon dub examples: episodes 1.40, "Enter the Dark Masters" and 2.1, "Enter Flamedramon."
- Japan has used "Enter Champion Shirona" (Cynthia) and "Enter Contest Master Mikuri" (Wallace). In between those episodes, the episode for Ash's first confrontation with the region's villainous team was called "Their Name is Team Galaxy" in Japan while the dub went with "Enter Galactic".
- Suffice to say, the Japanese titles do this a lot. During the show's long history, this format has also been used for the first appearances of the Squirtle Squad, Bruno, Drake's Dragonite, Gligarman, Morty, Dr. Abby, The Phantom Masked Coordinator, Savannah, the other Drake, Fantina and Jun.
- Also, the BW episode that introduces Iris is called "Enter Iris and Axew" in the dub.
- Played for laughs in Cardfight!! Vanguard: "Enter the Ninja Fighter", followed by "Ninja Fighter Withdraws".
- Medabots: "Enter Rintaro".
- A chapter of the English translation of The Master and Margarita is called "Enter the Hero," because it's nowhere near the first chapter of the book.
- A Sherlock Holmes pastiche about his brother Mycroft is called Enter the Lion.
- Fran Drescher's autobiography spoofs the trope. It's called Enter Whining.
- A chapter of Moby-Dick: "Enter Ahab; to him, Stubb".
Live Action TV
- The first episode of The Lone Ranger is titled "Enter the Lone Ranger", showing the age of this trope.
- Dynasty had "Enter Alexis".
- "Enter Sandman" by Metallica.
- Several sports teams at various levels use the song as entrance music, but the imagery of the eponymous figure is probably most invoked by the the New York Yankees's PA system blaring this song whenever Mariano Rivera (arguably the best closernote of all time) literally enters the game from the bullpen.
- Album title Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
- ECW wrestler The Sandman always made his entrance to Metallica's "Enter Sandman".
- The first mission in Star Fox 64 is called "Enter Starfox" and the mission that introduces Star Wolf is called "Enter Star Wolf".
- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness' second chapter: "Enter Flonne"
- In the original Mega Man X Zero's theme is titled Enter Zero.
- Gex: Enter the Gecko
Examples of "His Name Is":
Anime and Manga