Stealthy like a cowboy.
is hiding under a box. The villain is coming closer and closer. He's going to get caught. The villain lifts up the box and... huh? Where'd he go?
Then the camera shifts. The hero is actually wedging himself inside the box to avoid detection. Usually an Animated Trope
. Of course, there's Fridge Logic
involved. The character lifting the box should notice that it is a whole person heavier than it was, but doesn't. Behind the Black
is in there somewhere too.
Compare: Shell Game
, Gone Behind the Bend
, Behind a Stick
, Ceiling Cling
, and Underside Ride
Live Action Films
- Woody does this in Toy Story (pictured above) to avoid being tied to a rocket by Sid.
- In An American Tail, Fievel escapes the Cossack cats by clinging to the lid of a teapot. He narrowly avoids detection when a cat looks under the lid, but he moves to the other side just in time.
- In Megamind, the titular character clings to the door that Titan ripped off while searching for him.
- In the film version of Matilda, Matilda is hiding under a table from the wicked Principal Trunchbull. When the Trunchbull gets near the table, she lifts up the tablecloth, but doesn't see Matilda. It turns out Matilda was clinging to the underside of the table.
- In Hanna, assassins are looking for the titular character. one checks under the bed and finds nothing, only for us to see that she it clinging to the underside of the frame.