He's a prince, but is he charming?
"I pity the poor girl who has to marry you."
"Prince Charming" is a short story
by Harma Mae Smit
He’s a prince — why shouldn’t he turn out to be a spoiled brat? While appearing charming to all the girls of the kingdom, Prince Dmitriv is really an irresponsible flirt who won’t settle down. The king needs an heir who will grow up and take care of the kingdom. What’s the solution? A royal ball, of course.
Princess Anastasia is doubtful, knowing her younger brother too well. But to her surprise, the prince does meet a girl who’s different from all the others. But what’s this? A wicked stepmother, and several stepsisters? If there’s a girl who can ever learn to put up with the prince’s self-centeredness, her past may ruin this romance — and the ball! — before anyone gets a fairytale ending.
Can be found here
Tropes in "Prince Charming":
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Poor Anastasia, having to put up with her spoiled younger brother, Prince Dmitriv.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: This seems to be true of Vasilisa, though Dmitriv and the other courtiers can hardly believe it.
- Cinderella Circumstances: Presumably this describes Vasilisa’s life before she goes to the ball.
- Dance of Romance: What the king hopes will happen at the ball.
- Dances and Balls: Anastasia’s father tells her that though balls can be deadly dull events for spoiled princes, they are perfect settings for people to fall in love for that very reason (in other words, Dmitriv will be so bored he’ll be willing to fall in love as a distraction).
- Fairy Godmother: Yes, one of these shows up as well.
- Fairy Tale: A new perspective on a very familiar one.
- Happily Ever After: The question is whether this is possible, when the prince is a spoiled brat.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Vasilisa’s ball gown catches even Princess Anastasia’s eye.
- Prince Charming: The premise of the story – most females think Dmitriv appears pretty charming at the start of the story, but his sister knows better.
- Prince Charmless: Anastasia is afraid Dmitriv might actually be this for Vasilisa.
- Rebel Prince: Dmitriv does not want to assume his princely duties, but this is more because he prefers to be lazy and irresponsible.
- Short Story: Three chapters long.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve: This happens just before the climax.