We are not alone. We might wish that we were... But we're definitely not.
There are some things that exist solely to lampshade
, and generally deconstruct any tropes they come across. This series does that for Space
and Science Fiction
The series follows fourteen year-old Jack Armstrong, his friends Merle and Lothaf (Loaf) and two Shapeshifting
aliens trapped in the form of a dog and cat. After Jack receives The Server
, an alien teleportation/database system, the three humans are recruited to prevent The Tyrant's
evil plan to steal The Server and thus control the Outernet. (Which is just the outer-space version of the internet). It has some surprising plot twists towards the end. There are seven books in the series.
- A Planet Named Zok: Some planets fit, like Vered II.
- Alternate Universe Loaf is Awesome: In one book, Merle travels to an alternate universe where Loaf is a dashing freedom fighter named "Lothar."
- Big Bad: The Tyrant.
- Deadpan Snarker: Loaf, Googie, and the Server's interface, known (ironically) as Help.
- Death World: The Planet Aaaaaargh (with six A's), home to the eyeball-popping razor-toothed ear-drillers.
- Five-Man Band: Jack is The Hero, Merle is The Chick and The Lancer, Googie is The Smart Guy, Bitz is The Big Guy, and Loaf is, well, The Load.
- Genius Bruiser: The Bugs, interestingly enough for the standard issue mooks of a series. They're big, hulking mutants larger than normal humans and speak with relatively soft, cultured voices.
- Fun with Acronyms: The FOEs, the Forces of Evil.
- Lovable Coward: Zodiac Hobo,
- Meaningful Name: Zodiac Hobo.
- Mooks: The Bugs.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Lothar "Loaf" Gelt.
- Time Travel: The fourth book.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: Googie and Bitz are stuck in the form of a cat and a dog, respectively.
- Shapeshifter Mashup: Bitz uses one in the last book. In his own words, he didn't know how to use his old forms, so he just made something up
- Stable Time Loop: They create one... accidentally.
- The Reveal: Who is the Weaver, and who is the Tyrant? Both answers will surprise you.