Homeland, which is the sequel to Little Brother, devotes plenty of space to cold-brewed coffee.
Big Bad: Little Brother has the entirety of the DHS, or more specifically, Carrie Johnstone.
Homeland has Carrie Johnstone again, this time alongside Zyz.
Big Damn Heroes: Barbara saves Marcus at the last minute in the end of Little Brother.
Bittersweet Ending: Homeland ends up taking this path. Marcus gets "fired" from his job with idealistic "perfect senator" Joseph Noss and gives up on "his little fantasy of democratic change" and on trying to work within the system altogether. It is unknown whether Joe Noss won the election in the end, and he gets dumped by Ange (Although they re-unite and get back together in the Epilogue).
Defictionalization: An actual "Paranoid Linux" project has been launched. Sadly, it's now defunct.
Demoted to Extra: Van and Darryl arguably take on much less important roles in Homeland. Former minor characters like Masha play a bigger role in the story in the second book.
Does This Remind Youof Anything?: Angel Island, another island in the San Francisco Bay, served as detention center for Asian immigrants. Immigrants were usually jailed for years. In the book, it is implied that Marcus is the only Caucasian detained by DHS.
Happy Ending: Little Brother. The police arrive and arrest Carrie Johnstone and the rest of the DHS personnel running the Hellhole Prison on Treasure Island at the very last minute. Marcus is implied to end up living a happy life with Ange. Until the sequel, of course...
Hollywood Hacking: Thoroughly averted. The fact that the author clearly has in-depth knowledge of and experience with technology and hacking really helps things.
Karma Houdini: Most of the people behind or involved in the detentions.
Carrie Johnstone (known for most of Little Brother as "severe haircut lady") essentially is exposed as this in Little Brother and even further becomes this once Marcus decides to not release Johnstone's d0x to the internet at the end of Homeland.
Last Minute Hookup: The last few pages of Little Brother imply both Darryl/Van and Masha/Zeb.
Leet Lingo: Both of Marcus' nicknames (w1n5t0n and m1k3y).
Love Triangle: Marcus/Vanessa/Darryl and Vanessa/Marcus/Angela in Little Brother.
Madness Mantra: Darryl takes to muttering "I'm sorry" repeatedly after being held in Gitmo-by-the-bay throughout Little Brother.
Mood Whiplash: Done masterfully with the first few chapters of Little Brother. When it begins, it's all about Marcus, the smart kid surrounded by stupid adults and teachers who has the system around his fingertip, and his small band of cool, funny friends and their Alternate Reality Games and their geeky hobbies. Then, just when you start seriously wondering if you might have accidentally picked up one of those young adult books, in a few terrifying and confusing paragraphs everything changes and suddenly Marcus is in prison and his friend is gone and his parents are alienated and the world is changed. Essentially, the reader experiences the same Mood Whiplash Marcus does.
Next Sunday A.D.: The 17-year-old Marcus mentions being into Dreamcast games when he was 7. To be fair, he doesn't say the Dreamcast was new at the time, but the Xbox Universal and Paranoid Linux are the only blatantly futuristic elements.
Satellite Love Interest: Ange exists pretty much so that Marcus would be able to have some booty after Van left him. She falls madly in love with him at first sight, never disagrees with him on anything, is pretty, smart, and sleeps with him after knowing him for about two weeks.
Shameless Self-Promotion: Marcus drops a few times into short monologues about the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Cory Doctorow was a high ranking manager of said foundation.
Society Marches On: Despite taking place in the near future, it seems that the most modern, technically adept trendy teenagers in San Francisco still use flippy cell phones with hard buttons, rather than touchscreen-based smartphones of the kind everyone and their cat now have. Also, Osama bin Laden is still alive as the leader of Al-Qaeda, which is still a big threat to the US. This is especially apparent in the sequel, Homeland, featuring references to the Occupy movement and Twitter, which became much bigger after the release of Little Brother.
Twenty Minutes into the Future: Though never explicitly stated, Little Brother is supposed to take place a few years into the future (as of 2008, when it was published). As the author noted in an interview, 95% of the technology in the book already exists, and the other 5% could be developed within five years.
Tonight I couldn't laugh. Most of the callers wanted to ask what to do about the fact that they were having a hard time getting busy with their partners ever since the attack. Even on sex-talk radio, I couldn't get away from the topic.