"Give me attention. Flash."Invisible Monsters
is a 1999 novel by Chuck Palahniuk
about a beautiful fashion model who has her lower jaw blown off in a drive-by shooting. Jump to her meeting Brandy Alexander, the large-handed drag queen supreme who is one surgery away from being a "real" woman.
Not to be confused with the other Invisible Monsters
Tropes found in this work:
- Anachronic Order
- Arc Words
- Sorry, Mom. Sorry, God.
- Give me attention. Flash.
- Jump to…
- The Blank: "Birds ate my face."
- Bittersweet Ending
- Body Horror
- Death Faked for You: The Rhea sisters fake Brandy Alexander's death so they can start her transition.
- Drag Queen: Rhea sisters.
- Evil Feels Good
- Face Stealer: It turns out Brandy looks exactly like the narrator.
- First-Person Smartass
- Gag Boobs: Brandy Alexander
- How We Got Here: Being one of Chuck's favorite tropes. The book starts with Evie dressed in the remains of a burned dress, having just shot Brandy while the two of them and the narrator are in a burning mansion. And it goes downhill from there.
- The Nameless: The narrator, until the very end. It's Shannon MacFarland, if you're curious.
- Nightmare Face: This is so bad that the narrator can steal a turkey without being caught.
- Yup.◊ (this might be considered NSFW)
- The Reveal: -deep breath- Brandy Alexander is Shane, the narrator's brother. And Shane never died from AIDS. Also, Brandy isn't actually a transsexual because she doesn't want to be a woman. She just wants to destroy herself. And Manus is Seth, who is actually gay and only likes the narrator because she looks exactly like Shane. Oh and speaking of Shane, Seth was the one who molested him and gave him an STD. And Evie is actually a transsexual and the whole shooting in the opening chapter was set up by her and Brandy. They knew each other through a transgender support group. And Brandy has known all of this from the beginning. Yeah, and the narrator, Shannon MacFarland? She shot herself in the face. It's all her fault. -exhale-
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!: Brandy Alexander
- Theme Naming: Shane and Shannon.
- Transsexual: Brandy Alexander and Evie. Although technically, the former doesn't count because for her it's just a form of self-mutilation.
- Unreliable Narrator: The narrator confesses she just hates everyone and that in fact nobody behaves worse than she does.
- Updated Rerelease: In 2012, the book was republished as Invisible Monsters Remix, with the Anachronic Order even more mixed up and structured like a Choose Your Own Adventure book.