Heartwarming: The Heroes of Olympus
open/close all foldersThe Lost Hero
- Jason meeting up with Thalia, his sister after they'd been separated for years. Bittersweet, though, in that he also finds out some pretty hard things about their mom.
The Son of Neptune
- Annabeth was hit pretty hard by Percy's disappearance, especially so soon after they'd finally gotten together. Piper being so sure that she and Jason were boyfriend and girlfriend probably didn't help. Then, mere pages into Son of Neptune, we find out that Annabeth was the only thing Percy remembered.
- Percy giving up the Curse of Achilles, and the chance for a long, peaceful, safe life for the chance to find Annabeth.
- Heck, any time Percy mentions Annabeth is undeniably heartwarming!
- Percy wanting to protect New Rome partly because he wanted a life for him and Annabeth there.
- Hazel recalling the best day of her life.
- Percy telling Frank he's proud to be related to him and later, Tyson calling Frank "brother" and Percy going along with it.
- Frank entrusting his lifeline stick to Hazel.
- Grandmother Zhang telling Frank that she's proud of him.
- Hazel telling Frank he makes a very handsome elephant and then kissing him.
- Sammy never forgot about Hazel, after all those years.
- Percy's reaction to the arrival of the Argo II at the end.
Come on. Let me introduce you to my other family.
The Mark of Athena
- Annabeth visiting Sally Jackson at least once a week while Percy was missing.
- It's a small one, but Frank going to ask for Annebeth's help after getting trapped in the Chinese Finger Trap was pretty sweet seeing how he asked her because he trusted her to help and not tell anyone else.
- Especially since ones a Greek and the other is a Roman and they've only known each other a few days
- Percy and Annabeth's little date in Mark of Athena.
- "As long as we're together."
- And then on the way down, she whispers "I love you" into his ear, wanting them to be her last words. Aaaaaaawwwwww.
- At the beginning of The Mark of Athena, Percy is seriously angry at Nico for hiding the fact that he knew Percy/knew about both camps. When he actually finds him near the end of the book, however, he only shows concern for Nico's health and completely forgives him. It really shows that no matter how difficult their friendship got over the years, Percy still genuinely cares about Nico.
The House of Hades
- Any time Nico was being a big brother to Hazel.
- In House of Hades, Jason's protective instinct towards Nico after the revelation that he's gay (or bi, it was never specifically stated) and had a crush on Percy.
"If the others found out, you'd have that many more people to back you up, and to unleash the fury of the gods on anybody who gives you trouble.""Dude! It's not like you've got a choice. It's just who you are."
- Jason telling Nico after the reveal: "Nico, I've seen a lot of brave things. But what you just did? That was maybe the bravest." Considering the stuff Jason's seen in his lifetime, that's saying something.
- The fact that Jason realizes instantly why this is even a big deal to Nico when to the others it wouldn't even be worth batting an eyelash at. Nico's from the 1930s. Jason wasn't kidding when he said that letting that secret out was the bravest thing he'd ever seen. He gets how unthinkable that kind of reveal would have been in Nico's time without needing to be told.
- And pretty much everything he says to Nico after the reveal. So completely free of judgement.
- Hades is actually a sweet father to Nico. Honestly all the demigods relations with their parents in this book were cute.
- On that note, Nico mentions that, being his father the god of the dead, he knows he will end up in his domain, sooner or later, and that is a reassuring knowledge, showing some affection for his father.
- Piper, very relieved to see Leo, Hazel, and Frank after an attack on the Argo II and losing them in sea, spontaneously jumps off the ship and paddles towards Leo to give him a kiss on the cheek. It shows that Piper can be concern for the others as well. Could also count as a Ship Tease.
- Leo asking Calypso to weave a fireproof pouch to put Frank's firewood in so that Frank wouldn't have to worry about it catching fire anymore. It also shows just how far Frank and Leo have come as friends.
- Leo swearing on the River Styx to come back and get Calypso out of her prison. and he does!
- Hecathis almost adopting Hazel (which makes sense, considering Hecathis was not just a goddess of magic, but also of death). When the gods show up joining their sons in battle, she helps Hazel in Hades' place.
- A minor one, but the Titan Koios greeting his brother Iapetus (Bob) with open arms and happily speaking with him. After countless instances of immortals rarely showing any sort of happiness at seeing their familial relations on the godly side, it's surprisingly heartwarming to see a Titan, not exactly the paragon of virtue, treating his brother like a brother.
- Also, a massive Tear Jerker, but Bob (Iapetus) the Titan and Damasen the Giant's dual Heroic Sacrifice to hold off Tartarus's avatar and the armies of Gaea to give Percy and Annabeth time to escape with the Doors of Death deserves mention. These two immortals, nominally the sworn enemies of Olympus and their demigod children, willing gave themselves up to help them escape and stop Gaia. Especially evident in Bob's case, who, despite being a victim of Heel-Face Brainwashing, willing chose to stay on the side of good despite remembering his past. Why? Because Percy and Annabeth are his friends. Percy and Annabeth swear to remember both of them for this, as the best Titan and Giant, and to have them return someday.
- The moment everyone gets a chance to register that Percy and Annabeth are out of Tartarus. Jason gives Percy a big bear hug, and Piper hugs Annabeth and bursts into tears.
- Nico flat-out tells Jason he doesn't like to be touched (although he does say "please"), yet still initiates affection with his half-sister Hazel, taking her hand or kissing her.
The Blood of Olympus
- Even though the journey proved fatal to him, Reyna treated her pegasus so well that the Pegasus comes to help her when needed, and declares her friend of all horses (which, Hedge makes clear, is the greatest honor you can get from him).
- Will and Nico's newfound friendship, along with a possible Ship Tease.
- Leo's last words.
Leo: And by the way - I love you guys.
- Nico's new friendships with Reyna and Jason. Especially Jason getting all excited about Nico deciding to stay at Camp.
Jason: Oh, man. Wait till I tell Piper. Hey, since I'm all alone in my cabin too, you and I can share a table at the dining hall. We can team up for capture the flag and sing-along contests and -Nico: Are you trying to scare me away?
- In the same scene, Jason wanting to hug him, actually remembering Nico doesn't like touching, and Nico accepting to make an exception. When you remember the last interactions they'd had...
- Reyna and Hedge becoming friends with Nico. Particularly after they see him killing someone by forcibly turning him into a ghost, and feeling all of his anger right after that. Nico is convinced they'll hate him for that but, while they are uncomfortable at first, Reyna confirms it doesn't change the fact that they are friends.
- Percy kisses Annabeth on the spot where Athena and Poseidon's rivalry first began.
Percy: The rivalry ends here. I love you, Wise Girl.
- All the different scenes at the end of Blood Of Olympus are just dripping with Earn Your Happy Ending.
Reyna: I still intend to fight a lot of battles. But from now on, we fight together!
- The two camps pledging mutual friendship and alliance. No more Greek-Roman divide!
Annabeth: And after that... Well, Reyna and Frank said we could live in New Rome as long as we like.
- Nico informing Frank that Frank still has plenty of time before that last bit of firewood burns out.
- Percy and Annabeth's plans: they'll spend their senior year together in New York, then off to New Rome for four years of college under the protection of the Legion.
Jason: That night at the Wilderness School, our first kiss under the stars..."Piper: The memory. The one that never happened.Jason: Well, now it's real.
- Jason and Piper kissing on the roof of Zeus's cabin.
Will: "Oh please. Nobody at Camp Half-Blood ever pushed you away. You have friends - at at least people who would like to be your friend."
- Coach Hedge showing off his brand-new boy to everyone from both camps.
- Nico and Will flirting.
- Heck all of Will's actions towards Nico, including refusing to let him risk his life shadow travelling and saying - somewhat snappishly - that other people do care about him.
- Also Nico's clear acceptance that Percy is with Annabeth and is going to stay there. It's so... refreshing... to see someone just be willing to let a crush go instead of going Yandere.
- On that same note, Piper and Reyna have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for each other. When Reyna shouts a greeting as Piper and Jason enter the fight, Jason takes a minute to realize she's not talking to him, and Piper and Reyna fight side by side.
- And, last but by no means least, the very last scene of the series: Leo is brought Back from the Dead, flies to Ogygia, and he and Calypso fly off into the proverbial sunset atop Festus the Ressurected Dragon.
- To clarify: After the battle with Gaea Leo sacrifices himself, burning himself alive, shortly after which Festus injects him with the physician's cure, so he can be alive as he flies to Ogygia. The dude killed himself and brought himself back to life just so he could be with Calypso. It's about time.
- The very last chapter - Leo is Not Quite Dead. The first place he goes? To Calypso.
- Hades and Nico's conversation in Évora is flat-out adorable. While in the previous series they were both extremely cold and formal with each other and didn't get along easily, here they act more like a normal father and son.
Nico: Getting some redecorating ideas? Maybe you could do your dining room in medieval monk skulls.Hades: I can never tell when you're joking.[...]Hades: I will prepare a room for you at the palace in case you do not survive. Perhaps your chambers would look good decorated with the skulls of monks.Nico: Now I can't tell if you're joking.Hades: Then perhaps we are alike in some ways.
- Lightly teasing each other:
..."I didn't do all that just for [Percy]. I did it because the whole world was in danger."Hades allowed himself the faintest smile, but there was nothing cruel in it. "I can entertain the possibility that you acted for multiple reasons."
- Hades tells Nico that he's proud of him, that he respects him, and that he's brought their family honor. Given that in the first series he openly told Nico he preferred Bianca, it's a real testament to how far their relationship has come.
- Hades implies that he knows about Nico's crush on Percy and doesn't mind.
My children are so rarely happy. I... I would like to see you be an exception.
- Nico feels comforted when Hades puts his hands on his shoulders and thinks that, no matter what happens, eventually he'll end up at the foot of his father's throne.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.