- Anytime Gintoki sheds his lazy, apathetic loser persona to say some good ol' shonen lines to his friends/extras of the week.
- Episode 59, where Otae gives Gintoki her favorite umbrella. The accompanying background music certainly helps.
- Chapter 131/Episode 87: Hijikata went alone to deal with Touma Kuraba because if word got out that Okita's sister's fiancee was involved with weapons trading, Okita could be dismissed from the Shinsengumi. And when Hijikata was surrounded and badly injured, he tells Kuraba what he truly thinks of Mitsuba.
- Hijikata: I just ... want the woman I am in love with to be happy.
- After the events of the Shinsengumi Mutiny arc, Kondou has this to say about Hijikata when he had returned and was surrounded by cheering officers.
Kondou: Toushi, you said I was the soul of the Shinsengumi. But to them, you are an irreplaceable soul too.
- The half-episode There's Almost a 100% Chance You’ll Forget Your Umbrella and Hate Yourself For It, in which Kagura gets an umbrella from Gintoki, ruins it, fixes it, gives it away to a pair of homeless kids stuck out in the rain. She picks up another broken umbrella, and Gintoki and Shinpachi comment on how beautiful it is.
"You know, Independence Day isn't that bad, is it?"
- From the Yoshiwara Arc, we have Seita reuniting with his mother, then he carrying her on his back because she's been crippled by Hosen while declaring his happiness at having to carry his mother's burden.
- Then all of Hyakka and Tsukuyo shows up and asks him carry their burdens at the same time, because all of them took part in protecting him, thus are acting as his mothers all alone, after said group is almost all half dead from fighting before.
- In the Red Spider Arc, there's Gintoki's speech to Tsukuyo after he rescues her, about how she doesn't need to act on her own and always carry a burden alone, because she has friends she can and should rely on now.
- He then follows up on it at the end of the arc, after Tsukuyo has sobered up from her drunken rampage, where he tells her to not be ashamed of the path she chose, and that her face is not ugly so long as her soul remains unscarred.
- In the second half of episode 189, Kagura keeps up her radio exercises for months because of a promise she made to a friend. She tries to do so even in the rain, but she can't get her radio to work, and breaks it in frustration. Just as she's about to start crying, Gintoki steps in to help her continue.
- How Madao/Hasegawa-san gave up his chance at a job in order to mend a broken family in Chapter 274.
- During the Four Devas Arc, after Otose has seemingly been fatally wounded and all of Kabukicho is flaring up for war, all the past characters who Gin and the others have helped gather together to protect the supposedly disbanded and broken Yorozuya and Otose's bar.
- Jirocho retiring as a Deva of Kabukicho, and returning home with Pirako at the end of the Four Devas Arc.
- In Episode 226, when the old prisoner revealed that he knew the letters he was receiving were all written by the prison warden, his "nasty but dedicated son".
- The Kintama Arc has both Tama and Sadaharu remembering Gintoki even if everyone else has forgotten about him. The voice acting deliver in 253 really sold it.
- Even if the mood is spoiled in the end, the very slight Ship Tease when Tama and Yamazaki are forced into an arranged marriage meeting (specifically the scene where they talk outside) was really sweet.
- Chapter 528 has Gintoki about to be led away to be imprisoned and executed while Hijikata and Otae watch helplessly. Meanwhile, Gintoki's expression seems to indicate that he really doesn't mind that he's about to die, suggesting he's either resigned to the fact or too exhausted to care. Then Katsura shows up, and we see the first honest emotion on Gintoki since Shige Shige died. By the end of the chapter, both he and Hijikata are looking more like themselves.
- Chapter 529: Hijikata returns to the Shinsengumi HQ and finds that ALL his comrades are there waiting for his order. Even Okita is there waiting for him. Then he puts the uniform and goes to rescue Kondo.
- The end of the Farewell Shisengumi Arc (Chapter 550 and 551) brings some moments despite the massive tearjerker factor:
- Despite the BIG sacrifices, Kondo is saved and despite the Shinsengumi disband, their members are still united.
- Tae no longer rejects Kondo and accepts him. Even Shinpachi accepts him too, despite the short moments they were.
- Kagura and Okita figthing. It was heartwarming for three reasons: Kagura showing that she was managing to control her emotions and strength on a combat against Okita who was giving everything from him. Then the promise they made, giving more Ship Tease. And the last one despite the ending (a draw), both were happy, meaning into a significant improvement on their relationship.
- Gintoki and Hijikata sharing their food... and sporting a brotherly laugh! It was so heartwarming since they are no longer seeing as rivals and now seeing themselves as brotherly friends.
- Chapter 555 delivers a good surprise: After they recieved the news that Kagura left the Yorozuya in order to go after Kamui (her brother) and Umibozu (her father), Gintoki, Shinpachi and Sadaharu decides to left the Yorozuya... only to get her back!
- Chapter 572: Matako crying because Takasugi seemingly falls to his death. no matter how evil the Kiheitai are, they still have a heart.
- In Chapter 620, Tsukuyo leaving Yoshiwara in order to help Gin, and admitting that she loves him. Heck, the whole speech about dying side by side with the people you care about counts.
- Chapter 634: Kamui and his Yato fighters have returned to Earth to aid Kagura against the Liberation Army's Yato squad. With Kamui even upholding the promise he made along with Kagura to come back home as a family.
- Chapter 636: This chapter is one-third Funny, Awesome, and Heartwarming. The heartwarming part comes from Kagura and Kamui bonding as siblings even in the middle of their own sibling quarrel against their enemy and the latter giving Kagura advice on how to control her Yato blood.
- In the movie Kanketsu-han - Yorozuya Yo Eien Nare, everyone is returning back to their aown timelines and it is unknown whether this new timeline will have any changes. Kagura asks to look at Gintoki, Shinpachi and Sadaharu one last time just in case. Gintoki reassures her by pulling them all into a Group Hug.
Gintoki: Take a good, long look, then. So that we can come together again and so we can always look for each other, no matter how far apart we get, take a good, long look at these mugs ... I'll always and forever be waiting in Kabuki District with the Odd Jobs sign hanging outside my door.
Heartwarming / Gintama
For a gag series, Gintama has a lot of heartwarming moments.