- The scene at the very beginning when Carl meets Ellie, and she encourages him to get his balloon.
- Especially the board suddenly cracking out from underneath Carl. Admit it — you laughed. And if not, the Ambulance Cut immediately after likely sealed the deal.
- Also, when he hits himself in the face with his cast and his girlish scream when shocked at seeing Ellie come through his window.
- Not to mention the scene where Carl is pretending to be Charles Muntz.
He hurdles the Pikes! He hurdles the Grand Canyon! He hurdles Mt. Everest! *smack* He goes around Mt. Everest!
- Carl's Daydream Surprise, figuring how he'll get rid of Russell.
Carl (back from the Imagine Spot)
: Well, that's not gonna work.
- Alpha's "voice"...
- And Russell's comment that he likes the old one better when Muntz fixes the collar.
- ... and what really happens if two senior citizens get into a swordfight. Owww, my lumbago!
- "I do not like the cone of shame."
- Dogs. Playing poker. (Who are you calling an art history nerd?)
- Pay close attention, one of them is cheating. He has an ace tucked in his collar. This is a Shout-Out to the original painting by Cassius Coolidge ("A Friend in Need") where one dog is passing an ace under the table.
- "Hey, get off of my roof!" "Yeah, get off of his *RUFF*!"
- "Who wants the ball?"
- (Beat) "OH I DO I DO I DO!! OH ME ME ME!!"
- "SQUIRREL!" CRASH!
- "I was hiding under your porch because I love you"
- Russell: With my Explorer GPS, we'll never be lost! (accidentally tosses the GPS out the window while gesticulating)... Oops..
- "It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."
- The "WTF?!" face of the frog after Carl hits it upon waking up, a la alarm clock.
- A bit of an in-joke but Kevin's good-byes to Russell, Carl, and Dug. Russell gets a head-hug (which some parrots will do with people they really like), Carl gets his head patted (as she saw Russell doing earlier), and Dug gets an avian obscenity rasped at him—which he doesn't react to in the least.
- Gains a Call Back at the end when one of her babies does the same thing to Dug.
- The Star Wars homages. The camera angles in that scene are just perfect.
Grey leader, checking in!
- Carl instructing Russell that they will "walk to the falls quickly and quietly with no rap music or flashdancing" as Russell trails behind, "Uhhuh...sand...I FOUND SAND!"
- "I will bring it back for SCIENCE."
- Russell has a typical little-kid-on-a-long trip moment:
Russell: "I'm tired! And my knee hurts!"
Carl: "Oh yeah? Which knee?"
) "My elbow hurts!"
- Carl decides the best thing to do about Dug is just keep walking. Russell points out, "But it's a talking dog!"
- When Carl tries to shoo Kevin away.
- Russell when he is digging a toilet hole:
Russell: Mr. Fredrickson! Am I supposed to dig the hole before or after?
Carl: It's none of my concern!
Russel: Oh ... It's before!
Carl (while covering his ears): Lalalalala!
- Russell smooshed up against the glass of the Spirit of Adventure. Then being dragged against its side. Watch Muntz's face - his eye twitches.
- When Carl tries to get Dug and Kevin to leave him alone and he points at them with his walker: *points to Dug* I don't want you here. *points to Kevin* And I don't want you here. (Kevin squawks at him in indignation) *points to Russell* And I'm stuck with you.
- Dug isn't listening; he's transfixed on the tennis balls on Carl's walker.
- When Carl speaks his mind to the building contractor in classic old guy fashion:
Carl: You in the suit! Yes, you! Take a bath, hippy!
- "I believe I made my position to your boss clear."
Worker: You, uh, poured prune juice into his gas tank.
Carl: (Chuckling) Yeah, that was a good one...
- Kevin choking up Carl's cane, followed by HER BABIES choking up the feet/balls of his cane.
- Doubles as a Heartwarming Moment. She'd adopted the whole swallow-and-regurgitate-the-cane routine as a friendship ritual to Carl, and then taught the same thing to her chicks!
- When all those dogs went over the cliff like lemmings. Don't worry they got better.
- When Carl goes through his morning routine and goes outside and we see all the construction around that one little patch of home.
- The car-counting game at the end.
Russell: Red one!
Carl: Blue one!
Dug (who is of course a dog): Grey one!
- Carl's attempt to get rid of Kevin and Dug.
Dug: "Hi there!"
Dug: "I found the ball." (spits it out on Carl's hand, still covered in drool)
Russell: Sit! *Dug sits* Hey, he's trained! Shake. *Dug shakes* Speak!
Dug: Hi there.
- Carl and Russell freaking out when Dug first says, "Hi there!"
- "Did that dog just say 'hi there?'"
- "Will you be my prisoner?"
- What really sells it is when Dug is holding onto Kevin's leg like a beggar and Kevin continues dragging Dug along. And Dug has a huge smile on his face the whole time.
- Carl sending Russell out on a Snipe Hunt and when he actually finds a snipe.
- Every time the leafblower is used.
Russell: Cool! My mom loves that game!
- What the dogs were saying when Muntz invited them into his airship.
Dog: I like you temporarily!
- After Carl's run as fast as an old man can run to lose Dug and Kevin:
Carl: I think that did the trick.
Pan to reveal Dug
Dug: Hi, master.
- Dug's first appearance:
"I can smell you!"
"...What? You can...smell us..?"
"...I can smell you!"
- And before that, when they realize that what they thought was a person was actually a rock Russell says 'Heh, you were talking to a rock, Mr. Fredricksen.' You can just see him thinking 'But the rock was answering!'
- Dug tries to stop the dogs chasing Carl, Russell, and Kevin.
Dug: Stop you dogs!
*Dogs ignore him and run past*
- There are only two lines in the movie spoken by a dog that aren't a Funny Moment, and both of them are spoken by Alpha. Everything else is hilarious, even the Tear Jerkers and Heartwarming Moments. Especially those.
Dog: Your mailman friends can't hear you now!
- Russell's reaction to finding out Kevin is not a Kevin at all...
- "South America! It's like America...but south!"
- Ellie to Carl: "Y'know, you don't talk much... I like you!"
- Discovering Russell on the front Porch:
Russell: Please let me in.
Carl: [beat] ...No. [Slams door]
- Carl and Ellie's wedding. We first see the bride's half of the room going absolutely bugnuts, clapping and hollering and jumping around and even firing off shotguns. Then we see the groom's half, which is stone cold silent.
- After Carl turns his hearing aid off, watch that scene with captions or subtitles on:
"There's a storm coming. It's starting to get scary. We're gonna get blown to bits! We're in big trouble!"
- The way Russell says "I thought you were DEAD!"
- One of the tracks on the CD is called "Giving Muntz the Bird."
- When the dogs declare Dug their new Alpha, and it takes a moment for it to sink in. It's the way his ears perk up once it dawns on him that sells it.
Dug: I am not the Alpha. He is-Oh!
- This exchange;
Russell: Can I tell you a secret?
Russell: Okay, here it goes.