As befits a Homage
to old-school '80s action movies, The Expendables
comes loaded with six barrels of awesome, belt-fed with 1 round of funny every 10 links.
- Three meta-Out Of Character Moments worth noting:
- Jet Li's entire characterisation rant when sitting in Stallone's truck - it's funny to see someone who's typecast as The Stoic in nearly all his Hollywood roles being given full Large Ham licence.
- Mickey Rourke, keeping his look from The Wrestler and Iron Man 2, now has an obsession with 'decorating' everything around him, whether it's Lee Christmas's head or a guitar he's planning to smash up when it's completed.
- It's Mickey's "interpretation" of Charlotte's Web that really sells the scene, though.
- The scene in the church.
- "This guy, he loves working in the jungle."
- "He wants to be President."
- Speaking of meta, Randy Couture's explanation of his ear deformity is marked by everyone immediately having a Here We Go Again reaction.
- "Are you CRAZY?! YOU COULDA KILLED ME!!" "You're welcome!"
- Immeidately after Hale Caesar guns down a small army with his AA-12.
Hale: REMEMBER THIS SHIT AT CHRISTMAS!
- Jason Statham vs. Domestic Abuser Bastard Boyfriend and friends: "Don't worry, we got your back." Hilarity ensues.
- "Buddha. Pest."
- The Gag Reel. Bruce Willis can't remember the name of the island, and Stallone can't hang up his damned gun belt.
- The second movie's gag reel features perhaps the ultimate showdown: Armed terrorists with assault rifles... versus Novak Djokovic and his racquet.
- The deleted scene, where Gunnar tells off the pirate leader for not having a parrot on his shoulder.
- Speaking of Gunnar
- It's good to hang pirates.
- From the second film:
- One of the things Gunnar does while travelling with CIA Agent Maggie Chan is to try to get her attention. Her capping off his efforts with an eyeroll is priceless.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in a Smart Car. "My shoe is bigger than this car!"
- He also accidentally rips off the door when trying to open it. Church, not to be outdone, does the same to the other door.
- The Chuck Norris fact that was worked in to Chuck's introduction scene:
Barney: I heard you once got bitten by a king cobra.
: Yeah, and after five days of agonizing
)...the cobra died.
Maggie: Don't cry.
Ross: You almost had an idea.
- Also, the dialogue leading to it:
Christmas: (looking at Gunnar checking out the cave wall) What do you think he's doing?
Ross: I dunno...making a bomb? Whay don't you go ask him?
Christmas: Hey, Gunnar, what are you doing?
: Making a bomb! What does it look like?!
- This also serves as a throwback to the first movie when he was preparing to hang one of the pirates with basically the exact same dialogue.
- The exchange between Ross and Christmas concerning how big the Mook is, their backs turned to him the whole time.
Christmas: He's big.
Christmas: Just sayin'....
- Most of their off-mission dialogues are pretty funny.
- Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger swapping catch-phrases during the final fight.
Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back!
(Booker comes in laying down cover fire...)
: "Who's next, Rambo?"
- This exchange in the sequel during the team's stop at a small village:
Hale: Even you two rejects could get lucky around here.
Gunnar: You think?
Toll: I doubt it.
Barney: You mind?
Villager: Who you are?
Barney: We're Americans.
Lee: Since when?
Toll: (Annoyed) Retards...
Barney: (To Toll) You done?
- Church's token of gratitude to the team is a new plane... new plane meaning "rusty, beat-up An-2 biplane."
Barney: That thing belongs in a museum.
Trench: We all do...
- Practically every single scene with Antonio Banderas is this—especially when he propositions Luna...during the climax: