examples from The Mobile Police
- From episode 9: "Red Labor Landing"
- Noa and Asuma end up having to share a hotel room while on assignment. This clearly doesn't sit well with her, and frets over it in the furo. So she waits until she thinks Asuma's asleep before entering the room to turn in. When he "awakes" and creeps toward her futon, she's clearly expecting to be groped and braces herself for the inevitable... except he completely ignores her and goes for her snack bag, causing Noa to become outraged and clock him!
- What makes this funnier is the ambiguity of whether she was upset over Asuma raiding her bag, or indignant that he'd choose snack food over copping a feel!
- The end of the episode is even funnier: That snack was actually something Gotoh had asked the two for, as it's apparently a local delicacy. When he finally asks them about it... he's very dismayed to find out that the technicians had already gotten a hold of what's left of it.
- The second half of episode 38: "Mystery Tour". Specifically:
- Kumagami's reaction to the rat swarm and to Shinshi's wail when he and Ota catch up to them.
- Noa swooning three times, while being chased through the sewers by a giant albino alligator!
- The final chase sequence, period; particularly when Tadayama goes from outrunning Asuma and the others, to being left in the dust, until he sees what's behind them! It quickly becomes a mad dash for the exit, all while Kumagami's blissfully unaware, thanks to being passed out on Hiromi's back while he and the others are running for their lives!
- The episode where everyone gets plastered. Choose betwee between: Asuma and Ohta's verbal fight that culminates in them going for the fitsticuffs, Shinshi's drunken rambling, and the drinking competition between Noa and Kanuka.
- Episode 43, "The Working Girl" has reporter Momoko Sakurayama filming Noa's life for a few days. At one point, the crew films Noa asleep and mistake her murmuring Alphonse for a lover's name. Momoko tries to wake her up, but Noa started polishing her face. And the whole segment, hostage crisis and all, is preempted by a baseball game.
examples from The New Files
- From episode 4: "Game Over"
- From episode 12: "Two in Karuizawa"
Shinobu: (command tone) "EYES FRONT!!"Gotoh: (busted) "Haaaaiiii."
- Gotoh gets distracted twice by checking out Shinobu's sprained ankle, but she could see where his eyes really were and firmly tells him to keep them on the road instead.
Gotoh: (dull surprise) "Are you into this sorta thing, Shinobu-san?"Shinobu: (defensively) "No, but you said it didn't matter so..."Shinobu: (changing subject) "So... um, would you like some tea?"
- A few moments later, he adjusts the rearview mirror so he can look at her while he's driving, but her woman's intuition kicks in again; making him quickly put it back the way it was.
- Gotoh's reaction to seeing their suite, which looks like a child's playroom! Made better by her reaction, to his reaction.
Gotoh: (deadpan) "Hey, that was sneaky."
- Gotoh's attempt to peek on Shinobu in while she's in the shower. After waiting a few minutes, he crawls over to the door and gently slides it open... and finds her standing there with her arms folded, clearly having expected it. His response?
- Shinobu's attempt to cover the mirror over the bed! After tugging on the curtain, she crawls over to the control panel, but doesn't know which of the buttons to press. So she picks one at random causing the bed to rise off the floor and begin to spin like a merry-go-round! In her attempt to shut it off, her hand passes over all of the buttons, making the bed spin faster, and causes the lights in the room to blink on and off!
- Gotoh, meanwhile, has no clue what's going on. By the time he steps out of the bath, she's got it under control, though clearly mortified by the experience!
- The entirety of episode 13: "The Dungeon Again", which is a follow up to "Mystery Tour", the 38th episode of the previous series. And, like its predecessor, it's the second half that contains the funniest scenes; perhaps in the entire series! The highlights include:
Welcome to the proving grounds ofChildren under the age of 90must be accompanied by parent, guardian, priest or demonNO EXCEPTIONS
- Tadayama's message to trepassers:
Otah: (accusative) "Shinohara, you-!"Asuma: (running) "Bitch later! Split up and lose 'em!"
- Kumagami faints again!
- The various traps hidden throughout the sewers, each triggered by trip wires: including a foot snare, followed by the ceiling collapsing, a Zelda-style "locked door" room (defeat all the enemies inside!), plus, arrows hidden in the walls.
- Special mention goes to Asuma opening a box containing a ticking time-bomb and a simple two word message: "wrong answer", then...BOOM!
- The rescue party's reaction to finding Unoyama and the other missing mechanics alive and well... eating ramen with Tadayama. Followed by Otah's reaction!
- The group's excitement over finding the pearls they were after... until they realize they're not pearls... they're crocodile eggs Oh sh-!
- The return of Noa's "running gag", which Otah joins in on!
- Asuma telling the group to split up in order to shake the crocs! Now there's three of 'em!
- Which gets averted when he sees everybody's still behind him since they all ran the same way!
- Asuma's epic faceplant at the end of the downhill segment, which ends with everyone hanging onto his legs for dear life, with the crocs waiting directly below with their gaping jaws open! ...then the pipe gives way, leading to....
- The montage at the end which features Noa's swoon routine, while swimming frantically!
- The conclusion: they're all still trapped in the sewers, their backs pressed against the door, with the crocs right outside, trying to get in!!
examples from the Manga
- The first chapter has a brief Running Gag that has Asuma voicing concerns of Noa possibly becoming an industrial spy, after she tells him Sakaki gave her a sneak peek of the AV-98. Gotoh seems to support his suspicions as far as industrial spies are concerned, but finds it funny anyone would suspect Noa, of all people. When Asuma objects, Gotoh finds the real problem with a simple question:
Gotoh: "What's the matter, Shinohara? Unlucky at love, in the past, eh?"Asuma: (busted) "Uh.. w-why no, Sir..."
- While en route to their first assignment, Ota asks Gotoh why they can't simply engage the criminals they're after, rather than herding them towards the designated target area at Ueno Park. It doesn't take Gotoh long to realize what he's dealing with and responds by calling him out on it.
Gotoh: (over police radio) "Look, Ota... you want the city to go up in flames?"Ota: "No Sir... I... uh... just want to wrap this up as quickly as possible, and..."Gotoh: (deadpan) "I can see it now: the stray bullets flying... the exploding vehicles..."Ota: (busted) "Y-you... Do you really think I'm THAT irresponsible!?"*Noa and Asuma laugh their asses off*
- One of the technicians at the Shinohara Plant sees Gotoh nosing around the AV-98's simulator and asks if he wants to take it for a spin, so he does. Big mistake.
- Speaking of Shinobu, Gotoh trolls her by purposely leaving her division high 'n dry so his division could get the credit for apprehending the criminals. And his response when Asuma calls him out on it...?
Asuma: (surprised) "Say... isn't this kinda unethical?"Gotoh: (turns back to Asuma) ". . . . ."Gotoh: (turns back around grinning) "This is a happy day."
- Then, when Shinobu regroups with them, he actually tries to use it as an opportunity to ask her out! Needless to say, she wasn't buying it.
- There are several when Noa and Asuma are first assigned to each other:
Asuma: (firm handshake) "Looking forward to working with you."Noa: (grinning) "Think so?" (mumbles) "Boy, you're sure not a ladies man."Asuma: (indignant) "You're sure not too polite are you?"Noa: "LOOK WHO'S TALKING!"
- Gotoh assigns Asuma to the command car position, then asks if he understands why. Asuma answers it's because he's smarter than Noa!
- Followed by this exchange of veiled insults.
Noa: (indignant) "He must've been BORN a jerk!"
- The following day, while they're setting up the office, he sees her struggling with a stack of boxes and takes them off her hands. Just as she thinks he's being nice to her, he tells her they weren't expecting much from her anyway!
- As Ota soon learns, when Hiromi tells you he's prepared tea, you drink the damn tea. End of discussion.