- From Ain't No Rule:
Jhalm: "Honoured Burrower. Skulking though the woods I see?"
Digger: "Is there a law against it?
Jhalm: "Several. But as you are unlikely to be either poaching or soliciting the sale of unnatural acts, I doubt we could make the charges stick."
- Any scene that has Boneclaw Mother in it will be either this trope, or a Crowning Moment of Awesome, or a combination of both.
- Grim Eyes learns her awesome grandma (or whatever she is) really isn't magic:
Grim Eyes: Okay, he's coming this way. Do the thing! Do the thing!
Boneclaw Mother: What thing?
Grim Eyes: The thing where you tell people what they're thinking and freak 'em out!
Boneclaw Mother: Grim Eyes, I love you, but you don't have the brains the gods gave an eggplant. The thing only works on people you've lived with for years who think their motivations are a lot better hidden than they really are.
- The vampire squash, and the best part is it's a real legend.
- "It's a squash. I'm being attacked—or possibly romanced—by an angry squash."
- SOUND OF DISTANT ETHEREAL CHANTING! (There is no feasible onomotopeia for this) "Oh, great."
- This next one is on a relatively spoiler-free page in the middle of a sea of spoilers. Be warned!
Digger: You want me... to ride... the troll.
Surka: Sure! They're quicker'n a greased porpoise in a sea o' snot!
: That metaphor did nothing whatsoever to sell me on the idea.
- Also pretty much anything to do with Herne, but especially this.
- Grim-Eyes talking about Shadowchild asking everything they hunt if they can talk, and mentioning that it thought a fish flopping on her line was doing a form of interpretive dance.
- If you start at  and read to the end of page 70...
- Digger and Shadowchild whispering to each other as they're cornered:
Shadowchild: Now what happens?
Digger: Well, I can probably take two, and if you can take one, that only leaves five that will have to suffer simultaneous heart attacks.
Shadowchild: Will that happen?
- The hyenas declaring Digger a pervert, Digger's bewilderment at this, and Shadowchild's confusion.
"What's a pervert?"
"Tell you later."
"Am I a—?"
- "I'm positively vile! I wallow in my own filth! I'm corrupt and depraved and I smell funny! Dung beetles wouldn't touch me! I am uncleeeean!"
- In the cave, following a ledge along the upper edge of the wall.
Ed: Ed is thinking Ed is being a little scared of heights...
Digger: Lucky for you, we're so far underground that you'd have to tunnel a half-mile straight up to get anywhere near a height.
Ed: Ed is not being comforted, somehow...
- "Do I have to go beat up Jhalm now? 'Cos I'm gonna need a minute."
Murai: Honored Digger!
Grim Eyes: Earth rat!
Boneclaw Mother: Freaky adopted daughter!
- The first time that Murai and Digger see the dead god...
Murai: I had hoped it was the madness. This is horrible.
Digger: Yes, yes, morally reprehensible as well. I'm just sayin'.
- This conversation in the abandoned monastery:
Digger: My dear hunter-gatherer, allow me to introduce you to lignite. Grim Eyes, lignite. Lignite, Grim Eyes.
Brown coal. (Beat
) Burning rocks.
Grim Eyes: You can make rocks burn and you have a problem with magic?
- Ah, hyenas and romance. And for that matter, wombats and romance.
- Digger, Grim-Eyes, Murai and Herne all react differently to the sudden appearance of Shadowchild:
What the...? Grim-Eyes:
Oh, no. Murai:
Greetings, honored demonspawn— Digger: Shadowchild?
What are you doing here?
- Digger is ordinary as dirt!
- The following Vomit Discretion Shot. It Makes Sense in Context!
Digger (narrating): "It appeared that Skull Ridges was displeased with the resting place of her earthly remains, and had decided to vacate the premises."
- One moment while the group is trying to climb a mountain. Digger falls down a hole, and Grim Eyes comes up with a plan to get her out, which involves them pulling together. She decides the phrase for "start pulling" is "Bacon." This leads to "Bacon. BACON, DAMMIT!"
- This one made the back of the print edition.
- Upon discovering that the temple's tomatoes grow antlers and fight each other (for a good reason):
Digger: This is insane. You people have a serious problem with your vegetable crops around here!
Statue of Ganesh: My point, burrower, is not horticultural.
- The line "What good is a god that doesn't fossilize?" is funny for how weird it is.