Funny: Avatar: The Last Airbender
open/close all foldersClick here to view non-canon work.
Book One: Water
The Boy In The Iceberg
- Sokka cements his role as the party's Deadpan Snarker with this exchange from the first episode:
Aang: This is Appa, my flying bison!
Sokka: Right, and this is Katara, my flying sister.
- Zuko gets a lot of Hypocritical Humor in the series.
Zuko: I don't NEED any calming tea!
- The scene when Zuko lands on the Southern Pole village and a boomerang hits him on the back of his head.
- Did anyone realize that Iroh slept through that whole episode of capturing the Avatar? Which is made only funnier upon remembering that Zuko told someone "Wake my uncle!" right before they went to the village.
- After Aang gets free and starts looking for his glider, he peeks into a couple rooms without much success. He opens the door on a third room to find Iroh, snoozing away. He quietly shuts the door, whispering "sorry..."
- The fight with Aang against Zuko on the ship has a pretty funny moment when Zuko ends up getting slammed into the wall and ceiling due to airbending. The way it just happens in the middle of a tense fight is funny.
- The faces of Zuko and Iroh, as they try to come up with a plausible excuse without mentioning the Avatar.
- The Gyatso scene where it turns out he spent time showing Aang to bake just to throw pies at other monks.
- As Zuko and Zhao are having a conversation, Iroh checks out the weapons in the background, and accidentally causes them to fall over. That alone is already funny, but it's made even funnier by Iroh's wide-eyed expression.
- "Don't worry, Sokka. Where we're going, you won't need pants!" note Even funnier when you consider Aang's dreams in "Nightmares and Daydreams"...
- From that same episode, Aang is enjoying the fame he's getting from the young female population of the island, to the point of it going overboard several times. One event: A painter trying to capture an image of just him and one girl. Every time he looks back up, there are MORE girls in the picture, until they overshadow Aang. Cut back to the painter with a...not very amused look on his face. Then, he just gives up and leaves.
- Zuko abandons his dinner to set the course to Kyoshi. Of course, Iroh asks Zuko if he was going to eat his meal, only for Zuko to turn around and grab his plate, declaring, "I WAS GOING TO SAVE IT FOR LATER!", much to Iroh's disappointment.
- When Sokka apologizes to the female warriors for his sexist behaviour and asks them to train him in combat, he is forced to wear the warriors' outfits. (Doubly funny due to Aang's earlier comment that he wouldn't need pants where they were going.) He is a little bummed out by how "girly" it looks on him at first, but then becomes proud when Suki explains what the uniform represents... only to get bummed out again when Aang passes by, notices him, and teases him about it. (And triply funny when Aang is later forced to dress the same way in the episode "Avatar Day"!)
- At the start of the episode, Zuko is meditating until Iroh comes in, with bad news about the Avatar. Zuko claims he can take it calmly, but when Iroh tells him they haven't located the Avatar yet, Zuko yells out a Big "WHAT?!" and the candles' flames in front of him burst out. Immediately after that, Zuko looks at the map detailing Aang's progress, and notes that he must be a master of evasive maneuvering. Cut to Sokka saying that Aang has no idea where he's going, as the music dies.
- Aang's beloved marble trick becomes Hilarious in Hindsight after it's revealed in The Legend of Korra that he continued to do it well into his forties, as seen here.
- Aang's ridiculously long pseudonym, which Katara is amazingly proficient at ad-libbing and Bumi somehow remembers perfectly.
- The "logic" behind Bumi's trials: "It seems I lost my lunchbox key... oh there it is!"
- Lettuce leaf. Kangaroo Island. "No Firebenders here!" "Take them to the chamber that was once bad!" (And newly refurbished.) "My cabbages!" Momo being too fat to get out the air duct.
- Anything and everything Bumi says during the challenges, but especially his comments during his duel with Aang.
Bumi: Did someone leave the windows open? It feels a bit drafty in here. Are you hoping I'll catch a cold?
- Aang's response to Bumi revealing himself as an extremely powerful Earthbender, right before they start to fight:
Aang: Can I fight the guy with the axe instead?Bumi: No take-backsies in my kingdom!
- Sokka's theory on Bumi's name, and Katara's response: "We're gonna keep trying, but that is a good backup." Also, when asked how she's doing: "Other than the crystal slowly encasing my entire body, doing great!"
- Then, after the crystals break off, Bumi just casually chomps on one; it turns out the crystals were candy the whole time.
- This bit, especially how it comes completely out of nowhere:
Soldier: Men, you'll be going off to combat soon. It's important that you be prepared for anything.(scene freezes like a picture being taken at the last leg of a water slide or roller coaster as the Gaang come crashing down in the mail chute in the middle of the Earth Kingdom soldiers, both of which wearing expressions of shock, terror, and confusion on their faces. Their stunned eyes make contact for a brief second until the camera picks up speed and the Gaang is gone in a blink of a dusty eye.)
- The Running Gag where Bumi or Sokka says something stupid, followed by a Beat and someone quietly coughing in the background.
- This instance of Arson, Murder and Jaywalking
Guard: Your majesty, these juveniles were arrested for vandalism, traveling under false pretences, and malicious destruction of cabbages.
- The scene where Katara and Sokka use bad acting to convince the Fire Nation guards that Katara is an earthbender:
Katara: A giant-eared cretin! Look at those things: Do animals use them for shade? I bet elephants gather around and make fun of how large your ears are!
- "I'll show you who's boss! EARTHBENDING STYLE!" Beat "I said... EARTHBENDING STYLE!" "That lemur! He's... Earthbending!"
No, you idiot, it's the girl!!
- And the Fire Nation soldier just looks a bit embarrassed for his mistake.
- "I'll show you who's boss! EARTHBENDING STYLE!" Beat "I said... EARTHBENDING STYLE!" "That lemur! He's... Earthbending!"
- Also from Imprisoned:
Warden: Well, which was it, a buffalo or a bison?
Guard 1: Uh, I'm not sure what the difference is, but that's not really the point, is it, sir?
Warden: I'll decide what the point is, fool! (throws guard overboard, turns to second guard) You! Wake up the captain! Search the entire rig!
Guard 2: Sir... that was the captain you just threw overboard.
Warden: Then wake up someone I haven't thrown overboard and search this rig! There's something going on here and I don't like it!
- That scene was made 10 times funnier by the casting of George Takei as the Warden.
- This exchange:
Katara: (to Aang, about stopping Hei Bai) I believe in you.
Sokka: (Encouraging tone) Yeah... We're all gonna get eaten by a spirit monster.
- Zuko comes across Iroh lounging in a hot tub, and angrily demands that his uncle hurry up and get ready for the pursuit. Iroh doesn't want to leave right away, but at Zuko's insistence, he stands up. Did we mention that the hot tub is only about thigh height?
Zuko: (waves his arms frantically in front of his face) On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes?
- Also sets up a nice Chekhov's Gag after Zuko and Iroh have beaten down the earthbenders who'd captured the latter:
Zuko: Now will you please put some clothes on?
- Also sets up a nice Chekhov's Gag after Zuko and Iroh have beaten down the earthbenders who'd captured the latter:
- During the blockade scene:
Iroh: "Technically we're still in Earth Kingdom waters. Turn back now and they can arrest you."
- Iroh: Prince Zuko, you're really going to get a kick out of this... the Lotus Tile was in my sleeve the whole time!" Guess what? Zuko didn't get a kick out of it. In fact, he takes the tile and flings it into the river.
- From the same episode, Zuko pointing and laughing like a dorky ten-year-old when the pirate freaks out over the loss of his boat. Considering he'd been acting like a slightly more agreeable Vegeta up until this point, it was hilarious to see him act so childish and petty. This is actually the only time in the entire series that Zuko laughs out loud. Ever.
Iroh: Are you two so busy fighting that you cannot see your own ship has set sail?
Zuko: We have no time for your proverbs, Uncle!
Iroh: (pointing at the pirates' ship) It's no proverb!
(Zuko bursts out laughing, until he notices his ship has been stolen by the pirates)
Zuko: HEY! That's my boat!
Iroh: Maybe it should be a proverb...
- The fact that Iroh breaks up the fight by grabbing Zuko's ponytail.
- This scene:
Iroh: Can you believe it ? Not a single lotus tile in the entire marketplace!
Zuko: It's good to know this trip was a complete waste of time FOR EVERYONE!
- From that same episode, this dialogue shortly after the Gaang gets captured:
Katara: Aang, this is all my fault.
Aang: No, Katara, it isn't.
Iroh: (to Katara) Yeah, it kind of is.
- Iroh making the toothy monkey face.
- While Iroh tells Zuko that he changed their ship's course so Iroh could go shopping for another Lotus Tile, the prince just stands there fuming. At the end of Iroh's explanation, he looks up and breathes fire. As smoke begins to fill the room, Iroh cheerfully remarks, "I'm lucky to have such an understanding nephew."
- Also when the pirates capture Aang, but not Sokka. When he asks, "Oh, what? I'm not good enough to kidnap?" Cue to a net being thrown at him and gets dragged away.
- In the beginning:
Katara: Appa's not too noticeable!
Sokka: HE'S A GIGANTIC FLUFFY MONSTER WITH AN ARROW ON HIS HEAD, it's kind of hard to miss him!
- "Sokka's just jealous cause he doesn't have an arrow."
- This exchange:
The Duke: These barrels are full of blasting jelly.Jet: Excellent score.Pipsqueak: And these are full of jelly candy.Jet: Also good. Let's not get them mixed up.
- Hey, know what else is a crowning moment of funny? Sokka's instincts!
- When introduced to Pipsqueak and The Duke, Aang assumes that the little kid is Pipsqueak... only to be corrected by the huge guy behind him.
- When Appa and Momo are fighting over the melon.
- In particularly Momo's reaction when Aang gave him the smaller piece. Hey!
- The best part is the "real" history of what happened between Wei Jin and Jin Wei. The giant panda is awesome. And how Aang later reveals the story to be a hoax.
Sokka: I'm too young to die!
Old Fisherman: I'm not, but I still don't wanna!
- Same episode:
Sokka: You guys wanna hear about my dream? (Katara gives him a look) That's okay. I don't wanna talk about it anyway.
Sokka: This was in my dream! We shouldn't go to the market today.
Katara: Why, what happens in your dream?
Sokka: Food eats people! (beat) Also, Momo could talk. You said some very unkind things.
- At the very beginning of that episode, Aang wakes up everyone, and Sokka sits up, half-awake, knife and boomerang in hand, and says in a very sleepy voice: "What happened? Did we get captured again?"
- The look on Iroh's face as he's giving Lieutenant Jee the "Don't bring that topic up if you know what's good for you" sign. It doesn't work, but if you look in the background, it makes you die laughing.◊
- Iroh deflecting lighting is awesome. Iroh's completely stunned expression afterward is hilarious. It just screams "did I really just do that?"
- With Katara and Sokka both sick after being caught in a storm, the first time Momo tries to fulfill Katara's request for water, he comes back with a mouse. A little later, we cut back to them and find that Momo still hasn't gotten the idea, and in the meantime has filled the cave with a mountain of odds and ends. The latest is a crown he puts right on Katara's head (Funny Moment of Crowning?), causing the hallucinating Sokka to call her "your majesty."
- "Take that yooooou ROCK!"
- Also from the same episode:
Aang: You're insane, aren't you?
Medicine Woman: That's riiiiight!
- As Aang is chained up, the frozen frogs he has been gathering begin thawing and hopping away.
"No, frogs! Come back, and stop thawing out! My friends need to suck on you!"
- Zhao coming to find Aang gone, and the lone, defrosting frog crawling away.
- The Blue Spirit not even hesitating a beat between Zhao declaring "the Avatar must be taken alive" and putting his swords to Aang's throat, after their awesome teamwork.
- There's also the part while Iroh is playing Pai Sho, his opponents made quite a reaction when he makes a move that will result in their loss. One guy is making a Face Palm while the other makes a punch on the side of his face.
- Sokka makes a comment about how he loves Appa's sense of humour. Later in the scene:
Appa: (grunt)Sokka: HAH! Classic Appa!
- "Can your science explain why it rains?"
- "Yes! Yes it can!"
- Aunt Wu's prediction for Aang and his reaction. It's funny enough that he's utterly disinterested in her prediction that he would be involved in a great battle that would decide the fate of the world, but it's even funnier that his apathy is completely justified.
- Katara incessantly badgering Aunt Wu. What makes it even funnier is Katara's huge and adorable grin after she asks Wu how warmly she should dress the next day.
"And then you have your third great-grandchild before quietly passing away in your sleep. Now is that enough information for you?"
Katara: Should I eat a mango or papaya for breakfast tomorrow?Aunt Wu: (exausted and annoyed) PAPAYA. (slams door)Katara: Oh, I hate papaya... (kicks up dust)
- For bonus points, those who watched The Legend of Korra will know that this particular prediction is wrong.
- Serious Business taken to its logical extreme:
- Immediately after that, when Katara walks away after Aang awkwardly says "Hi" to her, a duck flies and lands nearby. It and Aang look at each other briefly, and it quacks. It's short, but comes so out of nowhere it's hilarious.
- This exchange from the end:
Sokka: No offense, but I hope you've all learned a little lesson about not relying on fortunetelling too much.Villager: Ah, but Aunt Wu predicted the village would not be destroyed, and it wasn't! She was right after all!Sokka: I hate you!
- We also have this moment: Aang returns to the waiting room of Wu's house, having heard her prediction that Katara would marry a powerful bender, with a wide smile:
Sokka: Looks like someone had a pretty good bathroom break.Aang: ''*embarrassed* Yeah... When I was in there-Sokka: *clearly disgusted* I don't even wanna know.
- When the townspeople are looking at clouds, Meng tries hitting on Aang by pointing out to him that one of them looks like a flower. At first, it doesn't look like he cares that much, then he pushes her aside and tries to hit on Katara the exact same way.
- The very last line of the episode: after Meng wishes Katara well before Appa flies them away, she mutters "floozy".
- Zuko splashing hot tea on his face.
- Near the end:
Zuko: Uncle? I didn't see you get hit with the tongue.
- Which is then topped off by Jun's absolutely outraged expression◊ (she's frozen in position directly on top of him). Being completely justified in doing so only makes it funnier.
- Iroh is a goldmine, in that same episode there's a momentary break in the epic fight scene to him testing out the nuns' perfumes, looking side to side suspiciously and then slipping it up his sleeve with a ^_^ expression.
- The Noodle Incident where Sokka got two fishhooks stuck in his thumb.
Katara: He tried to get the first fishhook out with another fishhook.
- Zhao's interrogation of the guards.
Local Commander ...but other than that, the festival went off without a hitch!
flaming debris hits directly behind them, and the little group all get 'We're screwed' expressions
Local Commander (weakly) No fights, theft was way down....
Zhao I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR LOCAL CRIME RATES!
- Aang's hilarious You Fight Like a Cow exchange with Zhao in the episode's climax.
Aang: I don't know why, but I thought you'd be better than Zuko! *shouts and flattens self to the ground as a huge fireblast soars over him*
- This exchange:
Katara: Do you really think we'll find Airbenders at the Northern Air Temple?
Sokka: Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?
Katara: Are you saying I'm a liar?
Sokka: I'm just saying you're an optimist. Same thing, basically.
- "I laugh at gravity all the time! Heh heh. Gravity."
- The scene where Katara is learning to fly on a glider is giggle-worthy.
Katara: Wait, how do I land this thing? What if I land—oh ACK! BUG! BUG! *cough, cough* That-was-a-BUG!
- After Sokka is impressed at how the Mechanist is able to tell what time it is thanks to a special candle he made, the Mechanist offers to show Sokka his finger-safe knife sharpener, while mentioning how it only took him three tries to get it right. He then pulls out his three prosthetic fingers and throws them at Sokka, who is quite understandably creeped out.
- Master Pakku was always good for these:
Aang: Good morning, Master Pakku!
Pakku: No, please, march right in; I'm not concentrating or anything.
- One commercial break later...
Katara: I didn't travel across the entire world so you could tell me "no"!
- This line:
Zuko: For the last time, I'm not playing the tsungi horn.
- When Momo starts fishing in the Spirit Oasis, Yue gives him a rather annoyed look.
- When Aang mediates to cross into the Spirit World, this conversation takes place:
Yue: Why is he (Aang) sitting like that?Katara: He's meditating. Trying to cross over into the Spirit World. It takes all his concentration.Yue: Is there any way we can help?Aang: How about some quiet?! Come on, guys, I can hear every word you're saying!
- Hahn trying to ambush Zhao on the ship.
Hanh: Admiral Choi! Prepare to meet your fate!*Zhao tosses him overboard*Zhao: As I was saying...
- When Zhao starts up one of his hammiest moments in the series after capturing the Moon spirit:
Zhao: They will call me Zhao the Conqueror! Zhao the Moonslayer! Zhao the INVINCIBLE! (Momo jumps on his head) Get it off! GET IT OFF!
- This Hilarious in Hindsight moment when Aang is talking with Koh.
Aang: *while Koh has his back to him, while realizing that he's already seen the Ocean and Moon spirits* The Koifish!
Koh: *whips around*
Aang: *epic poker face* I must be going now.
Book Two: Earth
The Avatar State
- Iroh doesn't seem remotely worried even in the most life threatening situations, like in this fantastic monologue of his, while enjoying a massage...
"Who knew that floating on a piece of drift wood for three weeks with no food or water, and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?"
- And all that Zuko is bothered about is that he's been banished for three years to the day.
- Aang getting hopped up on tea. In normal benders, it increases their strength and energy tenfold, according to an Earth Kingdom general. Gilligan Cut to Aang Air Scootering circles around everyone present, all while asking rapidly "Is-it-working-is-it-working?-Cause-I-really-can't-tell-Am-I-talking-too-loud?". He then promptly smashes into a pillar.
- After a cave-in in the titular cave.
Nomad: It's no use; we're separated. But at least you have us!
- Meanwhile, in the B-plot.
Zuko: If the Earth Kingdom finds us, they'll have us killed!
Iroh: But if the Fire Nation finds us, they'll hand us over to Azula.
Zuko: Earth Kingdom it is.
- Hell, half of that episode counts— between Iroh's White Jade plant escapade and 90% of Sokka and near-on everything that any of the nomads says...
- Iroh's absolutely casual and unconcerned about the fact that he's just poisoned himself and when the rashes reach his throat, he will stop breathing. He's only cheerful about the fact that he's found the antidote, but then he thinks that it may be another species that causes blindness...
- And look at the shock on Zuko's face...you can't tell if he's more worried about his uncle's condition or rendered speechless by Iroh's attitude.
- And we can't forget just before the White Jade plant's effects on Iroh is revealed, Zuko comes back from fishing with a -huge- spear, and nothing to show for it but the -tiniest- little fish wriggling on the end of it.
- Aang's dreamy "Us...kissing..." and the ensuing discussion.
- "If it was a choice between kissing you and dying...."
- "Don't let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown!"
- "Sokka, why's your forehead all red?" Heck, it's the page quote.
- The Gilligan Cut for when the group tries flying instead of using the secret cave tunnel.
Sokka: (singed and deadpan) Secret Love Cave, let's go.
- Immediately before that, there's a scene with the three of them screaming as the Fire Nation attacks them. Momo has the exact same face as everyone else.
- We have this gem when the pursuing Fire Nation soldiers refuse to enter the cave. They apparently sing hippie love songs during music night.
Soldier: It's too dangerous! Haven't you heard the song?
- Sokka and the nomads charming the badger moles with music.
- After they get out of the tunnel:
Sokka: How did you guys get out?
Aang: Just like the legend says. We let love lead our way!
Sokka: Really? We let huge, ferocious beasts lead our way.
- Also, Zuko and Iroh at the Earth Kingdom hospital place thingy, where they meet Song and come up with their fake names.
Zuko: Names? Of course we have names! Uh... I'm... Lee, and this is my uncle, uh... Mushi.
Iroh glares at him
Iroh: Yes, my nephew was named after his father, so we just call him Junior.
Zuko is furious and gives the Off with Your Head Gesture
- The fake name Zuko gives Iroh is even funnier when you realize that in Japanese, "mushi" means insect.
- The "secret tunnel" song.
- Nomad: Uh... I forgot the next line, but then it goes: SECRET TUNNEL!!!!! Secret Tunnel!!!
- "Annnnnd... DIIIIIIEE."
- Nomad: Uh... I forgot the next line, but then it goes: SECRET TUNNEL!!!!! Secret Tunnel!!!
- Chong figures out something very important.
- Chong: Nobody react to what I'm about to tell you... but I think that kid might be the Avatar.
Sokka: (Face Palm)
- Azula's plan to get Ty Lee to come with her.
Azula: What kind of dangerous animals do you have?... Release them all!
- The rather inspired "pentapox" plague, particularly the soldiers' reactions to it.
Pentapox?! I've heard of that...
- Aang learning that, in addition to positive and negative jing, there is also neutral jing.
Aang: There are three jings?Bhumi: Well, technically, there are 85, but let's just focus on the third...
- Sokka pulling a bubble pipe out of Hammerspace and Katara asking "Where'd you get that?"
- Sokka's detective outfit was Made of Win. Not only the pipe, but a hat with a little set of magnifying glasses on a track around the brim! He's a freaking contextually-consistent Sherlock Holmes parody. And guess what? That hat is based on a real kind of Korean hat. There is a real hat that looks like that hat.
Sokka: Special outfit, hat and pipe, these things mean anything to you?
- When Katara begins to deduce things ahead of Sokka, she ends up gaining the ire of her brother. The sheer amount of deadpan on Katara's face as Sokka "solves" the case really sells it.
- When the Wheel! Of! Torture! comes out.
Old Man: Eaten by bears!
Katara: *looking ready to pull her hair loopies out* Community service! Please say community service!!
- When the Fire Nation begins their attack on the town:
Old Man: You! Avatar! Do something!
Aang: (Amusedly) Gee; I'd love to help, but I'm supposed to be boiled in oil.
Old Man: *moves Wheel of Torture from "Boil in Oil" to "Community Service"* There! Community service! Now serve our community and get rid of those rhinos!
- During Aang's stint in the prison, a bald, tattooed man menacingly says that Aang'll fit in just fine... When we next see them, Aang and several other prisoners are sitting around, civilly discussing his feelings for Katara.
- During the conversation, he casually slips out of his restraints and continues like nothing happened. He probably could have done that at any point earlier in the episode, and only chose now to do it.
- "Boomerang! You DO always come back!"
- This exchange:
The Boulder: The Boulder feels conflicted about fighting a young, blind girl.
Toph: Sounds to me like you're scared, Boulder!
The Boulder: (beat) The Boulder is over his conflicted feelings and is now ready to bury you in a ROCK-ALANCHE!
Toph: Whenever you're ready, The Pebble! *mischievous laugh*
- Toph using earthbending under one of the The Boulder's feet to split his legs and the Boulder's painful reaction. As well as when she uses earthbending again to send the Boulder slamming into the side of the stadium.
- How could we forget Sokka's line here?
Katara (about Toph): She's not really blind. It's just part of her character right?
Aang: I think she is.
Sokka: I think she is... GOING DOWN!
- When Sokka whispers "water tribe."
- When Sokka gives Toph her championship belt back, he tosses it to her (it takes the Gaang until somewhere in season 3 to consistently remember she's blind). The belt whacks her right on the head.
- Xin Fu slams his fist on the wall in rage after being told that the "Blind Bandit" took a dive (Read: got hit by airbending). A suitably dramatic fall of rocks occur. Then one of them hits him in the foot.
- Just about every time Toph's blindness is played for laughs.
- During the Gaang's dinner with the Beifongs, Aang makes it rather clear to Toph that he wants her to be his Earthbending teacher, and points out how strong she is. Her response is to kick Aang from a distance (by kicking the ground with Earthbending), causing him to slightly jump out of his chair. She does it again later, but instead causes him to slam head first into his bowl. Now annoyed, Aang finds a way to get back at her: Airbending-enhanced sneezing that literally causes Master Yu, Poppy, and Toph's food to fly right into their faces.
- It's a minor one, but when everyone is cheering Aang for winning against Toph is the tournament, Sokka is so happy he outright hugs Xin Fu.
- After Toph is kidnapped by Xin Fu, her mother is seen worrying about her, leading to...
Poppy: Poor Toph, she must be so scared...Toph: (cut to her suspended in a cage) You think you're so tough?! Why don't you come up here so I can slap that grin off your face?!Xin Fu: (completely deadpan) I'm not smiling.
- This shot◊ almost makes up for the crushing depressitude that made up the rest of the episode. Just look at how smug Azula looks, not to mention Zuko's dorky panicfais.
Ursa: ...You're soaking wet.Zuko: Girls are crazy!!
- From the same episode, right at the beginning of the Wild West Showdown between Zuko and the Earth Kingdom soldiers, Zuko starts to unsheathe his sword. When a thug rushes him, he knocks him back using the movement. He then resheathes the sword, since he obviously doesn't need it.
- This exchange during the CMOH where Zuko gives Lee his pearl dagger.
'"Zuko:'" Read the inscription.'"Lee:'" (confused) Made in Earth Kingdom?'"Zuko:'" Uh, the other one.
- When Zuko is fighting the soldiers, the townspeople cheer him on:
Man: Give him a left! A left!Woman: It's not a fistfight!Man: He's got a left sword, don't he?
Sokka: This (points to his hair) is a warrior's wolf-tail!
Katara: Well, it certainly tells the other warriors that you're fun and perky!
- Given the choice between capturing the Avatar or attacking her brother, Azula's first move in the fight is to attack Zuko.
- During the fight, Azula almost falls down a gaping hole in a building, but regains her balance at the last second. Then Zuko rushes in, screaming in a Hot-Blooded manner, right into the hole. Aang's "Ooo, that had to hurt!" expression watching this is priceless.
- Also: "CLUMPS!! They're clumps!!".
- The way she hugs Mai after that makes it even cuter and funnier.
- Ty Lee vs. Sokka. Sokka gets pathetically curb-stomped, until "Ouch!" *glare* And later, "Is it just me, or was that guy kinda cute?"
- And Sokka's forehead turning out to be immune to chi blocking. "Good try, but no."
- And Toph and Iroh's little tea party. It was heartwarming and cute, but also the entire situation was pretty hilarious.
Iroh: You seem a little too young to be travelling alone.
Toph: You seem a little too old.
Iroh: [Bursts out laughing] Perhaps I am.
- And Toph's completely cranky and tired expression, contrasting with Iroh's merry demeanor.
- "I'M COMPLETELY CALM!!"◊
- Before that, Toph making herself a tent via Earthbending just so she could slam the door in Katara's face.
- Azula trying to make Aang guess who she is by imitating Zuko:
Azula: *covering one side of her face and putting on a deep voice* I must find the Avatar to restore my honor!Aang: *absolutely no reaction*Azula: It's okay, you can laugh. It's funny!
- It may be a short one, but the way Toph's voice squeaks when she yells her Big "WHAT?!" is hilarious.
- At one point, the Gaang tries to fight back against Azula, Mai and Ty Lee, leading to a double My Friends... and Zoidberg moment from Toph:
Toph: We can take 'em! Three on three!Sokka: Actually Toph, there's four of us.Toph: Oh, I'm sorrry, I didn't count you. You know, no bending and all.Sokka: I can still fight!Toph: OK. Three... on three plus Sokka.Sokka: [Rage]
- Later, when Zuko appears out of nowhere on an ostrich-horse;
Azula: I knew you'd show up sooner or later, Zuzu.Aang: Pff... Zuzu?
- Sokka is stuck neck deep in a crack while a baby moose-lion looks on (long story) and after making friends with it, it brings (the very hungry) Sokka an apple. Sokka struggles with his neck and hands and manages to toss his boomerang out next to the apple. What sells it is his reaction:
(deadpan) Now come back, boomerang.
- "Haha, rock beats airbender!" Sokka looks like an overgrown caterpillar when he says it.
- The exchange that followed later on in this episode, where Sokka eventually grew so desperate for rescue that he was ready to renounce carnivorism. Nevertheless, he is rescued immediately after;
Sokka: Okay, Karma person or thing whoever's in charge of this stuff, if I can just get out of this situation alive, I will give up meat, and sarcasm. Ok? That's all I got. It's pretty much my whole identity, Sokka, the meat and sarcasm guy, but I'm willing to be Sokka the veggies and straight talk fellow. Deal?
Sokka: Aang! Thank goodness! Have you got any meat?
- Sokka: Fufucuddleypoops, this is my good friend Aang. Aang, Fufucuddlypoops.
- This little gem by Iroh and Zuko.
Zuko: Now, I know what you're going to say: she is my sister, and I should try to get along with her—
Iroh: No. She's crazy, and she needs to go down.
- Right before then, after Iroh drinks Zuko's...poor imitation of his tea, he admits it is "bracing." Then Zuko gives him another cup, and the instant Zuko looks down at his own cup, Iroh chucks it out the window over his shoulder. A tiny moment but utterly hilarious.
- And, of course, Toph's line, "That's not the only delicate instrument around here."
- All the more amusing when you note that this was seconds after she stole Aang's bag of nuts and gleefully abused his staff.
- This dialogue:
Iroh: You will not be able to master lightning until you have dealt with the turmoil inside you.Zuko: WHAT TURMOIL?!
- Professor Zei (Head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se University) had some of the best parts:
Professor Zei: According to legend it [the library] was built by the great knowledge spirit Wan Shi Tong, with the help of his foxy knowledge seekers.
Sokka: Oh, so this spirit has attractive assistants, huh?
Katara: I think he means they look like actual foxes, Sokka.
Professor Zei: You're both right. Handsome little creatures!
- Very soon afterwards:
Sokka: Well that settles it. Aang, I'd like to spend my vacation AT THE LIBRARY!!!
- Then shortly after that, there is a scene that has a phrase I find highly amusing:
Professor Zei: Tell me, sky bison, are you the last of your breed?
Appa: (Makes a guttural sound that means "Yes".)
Professor Zei: Delightful! I only wish I spoke his tongue! Oh, the stories this beast could tell...
Momo: (Starts to chatter at him in his own lemur tongue, in response to what the professor said.)
Professor Zei: Shush, chatty monkey.
- Toph: "There it is!"
Everyone then goes to look to see nothing there.
Toph: ...Is what it'll sound like when one of you spots it.
She waves her hand in front of her face to remind everyone that she's blind.
- Zei's reaction to the (buried) library.
Professor Zei: (distraught) THE LIBRARY IS BURIED!? My life's ambition is now full of sand!
(one second later)
Professor Zei: (cheerfully pulls out a tiny trowel) Well. Time to start excavating.
- The best thing about Professor Zei is that he's voiced by Raphael Sbarge, aka Carth, Scorch, or Kaidan. Just hearing him is hilarious.
- One of the best moments is when Aang says that Appa can stay with Toph while they go into the library. They both look at each other, then look away, and then look back, before Toph casually says "What's up?"
- One of the funniest lines is the nonchalant, sarcastic Owl-spirit who created and watches over the library talking to Sokka.
Wan Shi Tong: If you're going to lie to an all-knowing spirit being, you should at least put some effort into it.
- It says a lot about Hector Elizondo's deadpan delivery that even "You're not very bright are you?" sounds funny.
- Another mention of Toph's blindness Played for Laughs:
[While walking in the desert, making Toph's seismic sense useless]
Sokka: [is bumped into by Toph] Hey, can't you watch where you're...
- And then:
Katara: Got something against libraries?
Toph: I've held books before and I gotta tell you, they don't exactly do it for me.
Toph: Let me know if they have something you can listen to!
- That last line is oddly something of a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming too, as her expression and tone make it clear that if Katara found such a thing, Toph actually would enjoy it.
- Another mention of Toph's blindness Played for Laughs:
- Two Words: Cactus juice. "It's the quenchiest!"
- Pretty much the whole time Sokka is doing the Mushroom Samba is this.
"It's a... giant mushroom. MAYBE IT'S FRIENDLY!"
"FRIENDLY MUSHROOM!! MUSHY GIANT FRIEND!!!"
"Who lit Toph on fire?"
"Why don't we ask the CIRCLE BIRDS???"
"How did we get here in the middle of the ocean?"note
- Not to mention his interactions with Momo, who has also sampled some of the cactus juice. "MOMO, NOOOO!!! YOU'VE KILLED US ALL!!!"
Katara: Sokka, let me see the things you got from the library.
Sokka: What?! I didn't steal anything! Who told you that? (points accusingly at Momo) IT WAS YOU!!! YOU RATTED ME OUT!!!
(Momo promptly begins crying, as if in admittance)
- And after Sokka's cactus juice high finally starts to fade he samples some miscellaneous ooze...
Sokka: Uhhh... I feel woozy!
Katara: (irritated) You've been hallucinating on cactus juice all day and then you just lick something you find stuck to the wall of a cave?!
Sokka: I have a natural curiosity.
- Right before that, the exaggerated Squick reaction Sokka has to the taste of the gunk he licked off the cave wall.
- Toph finally getting back on solid earth (sand doesn't count) and celebrating by making a snow angel in solid bedrock.
- While Katara delivers a baby:
Sokka: This isn't the same as delivering an Arctic Seal! This is a real... human... thing!
- "So do you want to go see the baby, or are you gonna faint like an old lady again?"
- When the serpent appears, Sokka picks up Momo and holds him up and says, "Oh great and powerful Sea Serpent, please accept this humble and tasty offering. Thank you."
- There's also the bit when Toph falls in the water and Suki saves her.
Toph: "Oh Sokka! You saved me!" [Kisses her on the cheek]Suki: Actually, it's me.Toph: Oh! Well! Haha... you can go ahead and let me drown now.
- In 'The Serpent's Pass', Iroh is on the deck of the refugee ship, looking very solemn.
Iroh: Who would have thought, after all these years, I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace...(Puts on flowered hat and grins) as a tourist?
- "We lost." Oh Mai! Your comedic timing is impeccable!
- "Just bend the slurry, woman!"
- "I know you're not supposed to cry over spilt tea, but... (sniffs) it's just so sad."
- When they go into the hole:
Sokka: It's so dark in here. I can't see a thing!Toph: Oh no, what a nightmare.
- Aang and Azula are fighting on top of the drill, when boulders start raining down on them.
Aang: (shouting to the general on top of the wall) General Sung! Tell your men to stop throwing boulders down here!General Sung: Whatever you do, men, don't stop throwing boulders down there!
- Iroh sweet-talking the Gonky attendant to let them enter Ba Sing Se. It's made even better by Zuko's Face Palm and saying "I'm gonna forget I saw that."
- During her fight with Katara and Toph on the drill, Ty Lee got covered in slurry. Afterward, she's just wiped most of it off herself...and then Azula jumps down from the drill and accidentally splashes it all over her again when she lands.
- When they were on the train to Ba Sing Se:
Sokka: Hey, don't jinx it ! We could still be attacked by some giant evil Fire Nation spoon, or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!
Toph: [deadpan] You been hitting the cactus juice again?
Sokka: I'm just saying, weird stuff happens to us!
- Then there was when the Earth King held a party for his bear. The humor came in the fact that the characters were confused not by the bear getting a party but by the fact that it was JUST a bear and not some weird mix.
Katara: The king is throwing a party at the palace tonight for his pet bear.
Aang: Don't you mean platypus bear?
Katara: No, it just says "bear."
Sokka: Certainly you mean his pet skunk bear?
Toph: Or his armadillo bear?
Aang: Gopher bear?
Katara: Just... "bear."
Toph: This place is weird.
- After Katara and Toph head out dolled up as noblewomen, apropos of nothing Momo walks across the screen wrapped in a curtain, complete with gong sound.
- "Lord Momo, of the Momo Dynasty. Your Momoness."
- "Oh, Avatar Aang, how you do go on."
- Then there's the bowing fight that ends up with Aang and Sokka knocking heads.
- At the party:
(Bosco is eating everything in sight.)
Earth Kingdom Guy 1: He's taking all the good stuff!
Earth Kingdom Guy 2: Quiet! You don't know what I had to do to get seats this near the bear!
(Bosco jumps on table and continues devouring.)
- Iroh and Zuko get jobs at a tea shop, and Iroh samples some tea:
Iroh: Bah! This tea is nothing but hot leaf juice!
Zuko: Uncle. That's what all tea is.
Iroh: How could a member of my own family say something so horrible?
- And just before that:
Tea Shop Owner: Well, you certainly look like professional tea servers... How do you feel?
- Anything with Jet and Zuko. From the moment he meets him to the moment he is dragged off by the Dai Li, Jet is quite literally stalking Zuko. Made even funnier by how unnerved this makes Smellerbee and Longshot.
- Worth mentioning is the very beginning of his conversation and Jet's attempt at outing Iroh and Zuko which ends up being Cassandra Truth because he didn't really think it through.
Jet: "I know they're firebenders. I saw the old man heating his tea."Some bystander: "He works in a teashop."
- Worth mentioning is the very beginning of his conversation and Jet's attempt at outing Iroh and Zuko which ends up being Cassandra Truth because he didn't really think it through.
- "That's right, I'm Sokka, it's pronounced with an okka, young ladies, I rock ya!"
That's one too many syllables there, bub.
- Plus the fact that a poetry club even has a huge, muscular bouncer.
- The haiku competition in general was funny, thanks to it being treated as such Serious Business.
- Toph's absolutely magnificent bed hair.
- The people at the spa trying to clean Toph's feet. It takes two people just to hold her down, then the room explodes. Also, Katara and Toph get a Cucumber Facial and Toph then used Earthbending to make the cucumbers stick out like alien eyestalks, terrifying one of the attendants.
- Iroh walks in on some kids who just broke a window. He recommends that they tell the truth. Then a giant man pokes his head out and starts making threats. Iroh adds, "but not this time", then takes off like a bat out of hell with the kids.
- "Yes. I juggled."
- Pretty much the entirety of that segment, up until the end. Especially Zuko's hair.◊
- "It took my uncle ten minutes to do my hair!"
- While "Appa's Lost Days" was 80% Tear Jerker and 19% Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, there's an absolutely hilarious moment when the leader of the sandbenders says they're going to sell Appa to "those beetle-headed merchants." That sounds like an insult about how stupid/gullible the merchants are...until they get to the merchants, whose hats, if you look closely, are shaped like beetles.
- Sokka's posters.
Sokka: Why thank you! I worked really... why do you feel the need to do that?
Sokka: We'll split up to cover more area. Toph, I guess you should just come with me.
Toph: Why?! Because you think I can't put up posters on my own?
(snatches brush and smears glue on the wall, then SLAMS a poster against the wall backwards, in two swift movements)
...it's upside down, isn't it? ...I'll just go with Sokka.
- The conversation between the sponsors, tea shop owner, and Iroh in the teashop, from the episode "Lake Laogai":
Tea shop owner: Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you...assistant manager. Wait. Senior assistant manager.
(later, after sponsors promise lots of promises)
Tea shop owner: Uh, senior executive assistant manager?
Iroh: *hands teapot to the owner and accepts the promises*
Sponsor: *to Zuko* That's right, young man! Your life is about to change for the better.
Zuko: *deadpan* I'll try to contain my joy.
- When Aang finally gets fed up with all the rules in Ba Sing Se, he lets their tour guide know it, then declares that they're done following the rules. Toph's reaction to this? "Yeah! Let's break some rules!" Followed by her using Earthbending to blow up a side of their apartment building for no reason. (When they exit the building, they use the front door.)
- Even funnier when they come back to the house in a later episode. Someone's come along and put up scaffolding while they were gone.
- The Gaang makes their case against Long Feng by bringing in Appa, with Aang sliding into two shots in a row like Bugs Bunny to point out how Appa's teeth and the bite mark on Long Feng's leg are the same shape. The Earth King says that they seem to be telling the truth (cut to the Gaang cheering), but this doesn't mean the rest of their accusations are true (cut to the Gaang looking depressed), but he thinks it's worth investigating (cut to the Gaang giving "That's... okay, I guess" gestures).
- The Earth King's first line, which is a brilliant use of Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
Katara: You have to trust us!
Earth King: You invade my palace, lay waste to all my guards, break down my fancy door, and you expect me to trust you!?
Toph: He has a good point.
- "What's a Guru? Some kinda poisonous blow fish?" (This is funnier when you realize he got it confused with "Fugu".)
- A brilliant piece of pitch-black snark:
Earth King: "It's been a difficult week for me. My most trusted advisor Long Feng and his Dai Li agents tried to take control of Ba Sing Se from me."Azula disguised as Suki: "It's terrible when you can't trust the people who are closest to you."
- This exchange, mostly due to Brian George's delivery:
Aang: My third chakra wants something besides onions and bananas.
Pathik: Ha ha, good one! Moving on.
- While opening the Fire Chakra:
Pathik: Hmm... That chakra opened less like a flowing creek, and more like a... burping bison.
Aang: *belches* Tastes like onions and bananas, but strangely something else. ...Pickles? *beat, Pathik shrugs*
- Following Toph's Crowning Moment of Awesome when the Cute Bruiser leaves Those Two Bad Guys trapped in a metal box:
Xin Fu: I'm going to be stuck in here forever with you, aren't I?
Yu: I have to go to the bathroom.
Xin Fu: * slams head into wall in frustration*
- Made funnier by the fact that Toph pretended she needed to go to the bathroom so she could get out, and Yu almost fell for it.
Yu: It's another one of her tricks!Xin Fu: There's a giant hole in the box! How is that a trick?
- The Gaang coming back to save the Earth King's pet bear Bosco. Ty Lee is trying to teach it to walk on its hands. When Ty Lee falls into a bridge position, her hands and feet are suddenly encased in stones thanks to Toph's Earthbending. With Ty Lee out, they see the bear, then see Mai and Sokka and Toph get into fighting poses. Mai can't even be bothered to get up off of the steps she's sitting on and waves a hand going, "...just take the bear."
- There's also the fact that Bosco had been looking at Ty Lee with total indifference while she was trying to teach him to walk on his front legs, but then sits up and starts clapping like a happy baby when her limbs get trapped.
- And to add to it, Ty Lee's face when her arms and legs are trapped is just an amazingly brilliant 'Huh?' expression, as if she can't quite figure out how she ended up with her arms and legs trapped.
- When Aang and Sokka return to Ba Sing Se in "The Crossroads of Destiny"
Sokka: What's that?
(They fly down on Appa to find Toph running on a wave of Earthbending back to the city)
Sokka: (as Appa flies in close) Need a lift?
Toph: (concentration broken) WHAAAAAAAAAAA—(face plants)
Sokka and Aang: (wincing) Ooooooo...
- Planning out how to save the Earth King as well as Katara and Zuko.
Sokka: We should split up. Aang, you and Iroh go save Katara and the angry jerk, (turns to Iroh) no offense.
Iroh: None taken.
Book Three: Fire
- "Load the Toph!" said by Toph during a ship-to-ship battle. Even funnier when you remember what her name is a homonym of.
- Mai asking Zuko if he was cold.
Mai: Aren't you cold?Zuko: I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long - over three years since I was home - I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed..Mai: I just asked you if you were cold. I didn't ask for your life story.
- Aang's reaction when he finds out he now has hair.
Katara: I like your hair.Aang: I have hair? How long was I out?
Toph: "Yeah, we wouldn't want a bird to hear us chatting up there and turn us in."
Sokka: "Hey! We're in enemy territory, those are enemy birds." *small bird lands on his head and squawks*
- Half that episode is a CMoF, including this:
- Then later:
- Earlier, there's a golden moment when Aang talks about what he did in school.
Aang: I've already gotten a picture of Fire Lord Ozai (shows poster), and here's one I made out of noodles! (shows noodle art)
Sokka: Impressive, I admit.
- This moment:
Aang: You don't know what it's like, Sokka. You get to be normal all the time!
Toph: Ha, ha!
- Zuko and Mai's romantic picnic uptop a mountain during the sunset. Both hilarious and oddly sweet.
Mai: Orange is such an awful color.Zuko: You're so beautiful when you hate the world.Mai: I don't hate you.Zuko: I don't hate you, too.
- SOKKA'S CHART.
- Dock/Xu/Bushi. At first, the appearance of Xu right after Dock is almost handwaveable - then the fact that they're the same guy becomes pretty blatant, to the extent that you fully expect him to Ass Pull a third personality. What you DON'T expect is for Aang to literally blow a fuse when it happens. There's even a puff of smoke!
- And then the third personality says that the first one is crazy!
- Toph pretending to be a Fire Nation citizen, suggesting to Dock to clean the river.
- When the Gaang wakes up to find Appa sick, Sokka starts to panic. When Toph mentions that she didn't realize he cared so much, Sokka says he might as well throw their schedule away now. Cue Aang and Katara giving him a Death Glare, and Toph keeping her head down in shame.
- When Sokka tries and fails to catch fish in the polluted water...
- Aang: Hey guys, I think this river is polluted.
Sokka: Well that explains why I can't catch a fish around here. Because normally my fishing skills are off the hook... Get it? Like a fishing hook.
Toph: Too bad your skills aren't on the hook.
- Aang's ridiculous armor setup. It would be like Frodo wearing Sauron's armor.
- AIR BLADE. Swish, swish.
- What really sells it is the music playing in the background until he falls over.
- The calligraphy and the painting, but also the bit where Sokka uses the rock garden to his advantage by... making himself a chair. And then Piandao goes along with it and asks his horrified butler to get him a drink, too.
- The best part about the landscape painting is Piandao's bemused, "You added a rainbow."
- A minor one is the Gaang's faces when Sokka reveals from Piandao that he's not actually from the Fire Nation. Aang has a shocked, "What did he just say?!"-face, Katara winces, and Toph brings her head down in exasperation.
- Every moment of Azula trying to fit in socially, particularly her attempts to get a guy to like her.
- When she gets invited to a party:
[A groggy host finds Azula and company at his door]
Host: What are you doing here?
Azula: You said we'd be partying from dusk to dawn. It's dusk, so we're here.
Host: That's really more of an expre-
Azula: We are the perfect party guests. We arrive right on time, because we are very punctual.
- And this gem:
That's a sharp outfit, Chan. Careful, you could puncture the hull of an Empire-class Fire Nation battleship, leaving thousands to drown at sea... Because it's so sharp.
- Followed shortly by Azula and friends destroying and burning down Chan's house as payback for the various problems they had at the party. Who knew raging sociopathy could be so amusing?
- The Pastel Freeze Frame◊ that makes up the end of the episode. Mai, Zuko, Azula and Ty Lee sharing a tender moment as the house burns down behind them...complete with Ty Lee sporting a frighteningly huge shit-eating grin.
- Also her ability to make even volleyball Serious Business on par with her usual war-waging:
Yes! We defeated you for all time! You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation! [pause] Well, that was fun.
- And Azula denying having a Freudian Excuse for her actions:
Azula: Well yes, I guess you're right. I don't have sob stories like all of you. I could sit here and complain how mom liked Zuko more than me, but I don't really care. (frowns and looks down at the fire) My own mother thought I was a monster...
Azula: She was right of course. But it still hurt.
- Though it becomes something of a Tear Jerker in hindsight when it's learned her humorous sarcasm was covering up the fact that it really DID hurt. A lot.
- Actually, just that whole episode. Zuko's flashbacks were quite touching, but they lose some impact when they're in the same episode as the dramatic shirt-toss with Disturbed Doves. Or Zuko almost throwing up thanks to Lo and Li. Or the Serious Business volleyball game. Or Mai being... Mai.
- Zuko and Mai's fizzling relationship in the first half of the episode was pretty hilarious. The two were both so bored and deadpan.
Zuko: It's hot, so I brought you this.
(Zuko holds out an ice cream cone, which promptly falls on Mai's leg.)
Mai: ...Thanks. That was really... refreshing.
- Toph's completely underwhelmed reaction to their group being unexpectedly attacked by a metal-limbed man who can blow things up with his mind.
Toph: Well that was random.
Katara: Do they have toilets in the spirit world?
Sokka: As a matter of fact, they do not.note
- Pure Toilet Humor, but when Sokka's picked up his new pet messenger hawk and discovers the group is in serious trouble....and then the new hawk craps on his hand.
- Hard to forget the moment Appa was left in charge while Sokka and co. went off to scam. Everything between Momo, Hawky, and Appa is hilarious.
- Later, "Katara! You're a genius! A sweaty, stinky genius!"
- Aang's call back to Sokka's name for Combustion Man before he got his actual nickname.
Aang: Sokka! It's Sparky-Sparky Boom Man!
- Toph's blindness is played for laughs even more than usual.
Sokka: Toph, when I was in town I found something you're not going to like (unfurls a wanted poster)
Toph: Well it sounds like a sheet of paper. But I guess you're referring to what's on the sheet of paper.
Katara: ...Well then, what's this? (brandishes the same wanted poster)
Toph: (seriously irritated) I don't know! I mean, seriously, what's with you people?! I'm blind!
- And minutes later after that, Aang an Sokka try to patch things up between Toph and Katara by giving Katara a fake apology letter.
Katara: I know this is from you, Sokka! Toph can't write! Ugh, you're all driving me crazy!
Aang: I can't believe we forgot Toph can't write.
Sokka: Yep, we're idiots.
Aang: I guess plan B is, we send a note to Toph pretending it's from Katara.
Sokka: I think we're gonna run into a similar problem.
- And minutes later after that, Aang an Sokka try to patch things up between Toph and Katara by giving Katara a fake apology letter.
- Even though "The Puppetmaster" was, for the most part, very scary, there's a couple of darkly funny moments. For example, when Katara says that Hama reminds her of Gran Gran, she holds up a head of cabbage that looks like Gran Gran's face.
- When Bloodbending is being used on Sokka:
Sokka: It's like my brain has a mind of its own!
- When Sokka decides to snoop around Hama's inn, he finds a small chest. As Katara tries to stop him, Toph remarks "Maybe it's treasure!"
- Aang sticks his noodle art of Ozai on a tree and turns it into a dummy Ozai. "(flatly) The Fire Lord's defenses are impeccable."
- Aang's sleep-deprivation hallucinations and Sanity Slippage. Specifically, the Yojimbo-style swordfight between Momo and Appa with cheering sheep as spectators, snake rocks, and the 6 armed singing Guru Pathik playing a sitar.
"Chakras, chakras, everybody loves chakras! Chakras, Chakras, Chakra Sandwich is good, yum!"
Momo: You, my friend, are just a few plums short of a fruit pie.
- Appa's voice when Aang is sleep deprived.
Appa: (standing up, points at him) You have to take care of yourself. You can't go on like this.
- Pretty much the entirety of that episode.
"Baby, you're my forever girl."
- The very last dream.
Ozai: Really? You're gonna take me out? You're not even wearing pants!
Aang: No, Fire Lord Ozai, you're not wearing pants!
Ozai: (gasps and looks down) NOOOOO! MY ROYAL PARTS ARE SHOWING! AAAAAAAAARGH!
- When Aang is trying to delay sleeping by wishing everyone in the group good night, the camera pans out as it becomes an Overly Long Gag...before Toph yells at him to shut up, complete with a cartoonish speech bubble with her face (so you know which one in the darkness is her)
- When Aang discovers a nice bed made of wool by his friends, there are naked, miserable, shivering sheep next to Sokka.
- Also this scene where Zuko wants to walk to Mai's house, his palanquin bearers insist that a prince must not walk anywhere, even though he tells them it's not very far. They then carry him for about 10 metres to where Mai's waiting for him.
- "We all died because of your tiny bladder!" - Aang explaining a dream where Toph had to go to the bathroom in the middle of a battle.
- "Want to try screaming into this pillow?" (Hands Aang a koala-sheep)
- Aang "talking" to Momo. That's bad enough, but then the others walk up when he's doing it... Sokka's "WTF is he doin..." face is priceless.
- Near the end of the episode, in the middle of the night, Aang tries to get Katara to train him, leading to this exchange:
Aang: Quick, hit me!Katara: I'm not going to hit you.Toph: You want me to do it? *Sokka lightly taps her back in a "cut it out, this is serious" way*
- The return of WANG FIRE, consulting psychiatrist.
- Sokka starting from the beginning while presenting his battle plan. "And then Katara got Haru arrested and then now he's grown a mustache which if you look at in the front row you can see it-"
- Haru's mustache itself qualifies.
- "Then Suki dressed me like a woman and then she kissed me..."
- Hue: "Pants are an illusion. And so is death."
- When the Gaang is looking for Ozai's chamber:
- "Hello! Zuko here!" And basically any other time Zuko shows off his dweebery after joining the group... "Silver Sandwich" speech, anyone?
Zuko: Hmm...What would Uncle do? [impersonates Iroh] You have to look within yourself to save yourself from your other self. Only then will your true self reveal itself.
- His impersonation of Azula afterward, because not only is it spot on, the writers even gave Azula!Zuko the same musical cue Azula gets.
- The badger-frog!
- Aang apologizing to Zuko during their first firebending session:
Aang: Sorry, sifu hotman.
Zuko: AND STOP CALLING ME THAT!
- And then Sokka walks in. "Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you jerks do your jerkbending?"
- Everything leading up to:
Zuko: (seriously irritated) "At least I made something happen! If it were up to you, we'd never have made it past the courtyard!"Aang: HEEEEEEELP!!!Zuko: "Who are you yelling to!? No one's lived her for centuries!"Aang: "Well, what should we do?"
- Around facing the firebending masters...
Zuko: We're the Fire Prince and the Avatar. I think we could take these guys in a fight whoever they are.
(The firebending masters turn out to be dragons.)
Aang: Still think we can take them?
Zuko: I never said that!
- The Sun Warriors (who were thought to have died out thousands of years ago but in fact have been living in seclusion) prank Aang and Zuko by telling them that, since they now know of their existence, they can never be allowed to leave. "Just kidding! (beat) But seriously, don't tell anyone."
- When Aang figures out what the statues in a room mean...
Aang: Hey, Zuko! Come over here! I want you to dance with me!
Zuko: *makes a shocked expression*;
- A bit earlier, Zuko realizes the Sun is the true source of firebending.
Zuko: Do you guys realize this?
Chief: Well, our civilization IS called the Sun Warriors, so yeah.
- Zuko's reaction to the others' reaction to his newly learned technique.
- "Zuko! I think the past is trying to kill me!"
- For a small bit that is both funny and absolutely adorable: in Toph's flashback, we see her as a toddler, meeting a badgermole. After the badgermole affectionally licks her, she giggles and licks it back.
- When Zuko manages to outsmart the Sun Stone that's supposed to only open a door on the solstice (By using his sword to reflect the sun's light into the stone), Aang delivers an unintentional Stealth Insult, made even better by how Zuko doesn't realize it right away.
Aang: You know, Zuko, I don't care what anyone says about you; you're pretty smart.
- After Aang suggests that the reason Zuko's firebending is so weak is because it used to be fueled by rage, Sokka then suggests that they need to make Zuko angry. He then proceeds to poke Zuko over and over with a long stick. Zuko wasn't amused.
- The epic bromance of Zuko and Sokka.
Sokka: "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
Zuko: [completely and utterly straight-faced] "That's rough, buddy."
- What also makes it funny is how Zuko gives a quick look into the sky.
- One of Zuko's best lines:
Katara: That way you have someone to practice with, and I get to learn waterbending! Everyone's happy!
- This actually mirrors "The Waterbending Master" (1.18)
Sokka: I'm not happy.
Katara: But you're never happy.
- "My dad doesn't have a nose ring!"
- Also, this:
Zuko: Well, I did have a girlfriend. Mai.
Sokka: That gloomy girl who sighs a lot?
Zuko: (dreamy face)◊ Yeah...
- When Zuko and Suki meet, Sokka cheerfully says "Oh good, you guys have met." Leading to...
Suki: Actually, we met a long time ago.Zuko: We did?Suki: Yeah. You...kind of burned down my village.Zuko: ...Sokka: *covers face with one hand*Zuko: Oh... sorry about that. Nice to see you again. *slips out of frame*
- Chit Sang's instant riot.
Chit Sang: *Picks up a random guy and starts shaking him above his head* HEY! RIOT!
Non-Aggressive Inmate: Forget about controlling my anger! LET'S RIOT! *Promptly gets tackled to the ground by another inmate*
- This immediately following Hakoda's failed attempt to start a riot, after the prisoner Hakoda targeted turned out to be completely non-aggressive. Doubly so because the same non-aggressive guy immediately gets into the action.
- Chit Sang's super casual introduction to the Gaang, in the middle of Suki and Hakoda's emotional reunions. "I'm new. What's up, everybody?"
- The Warden singling Hakoda out for abuse, only to be stubbornly ignored. Once he does look the warden in the eye, Hakoda trips him up with his handcuffs.
- Back in 'The Serpent's Pass', Suki gets Sokka to recognise her by kissing him. When he walks into Suki's cell, he tries the same thing in reverse. Except that with his visor covering his face, Suki does not recognise him and so punches Sokka into the door. Even better, when he's later delighted to find his dad he starts talking to Hakoda with his helmet still on. Hakoda thinks it's a random guard taking the piss and almost punches him;
Sokka: "Yeah, I ran into that problem earlier."
- Chit-Sang, the Big Guy of the Boiling Rock episodes, pulls a great You Make Me Sic moment:
Zuko: Hey! Watch who you're shoving!
Chit-Sang: I think you mean WHOM I'm shoving!
- Also from "The Boiling Rock":
Prisoner: I know you two are hatching an escape plan!
Sokka: The only thing we're hatching is.... an egg?
Prisoner: Well, count me in too, or the warden hears about this... egg, too.
- Zuko's "unfortunate" timing for his talk with Sokka.
- Also Sokka playing with a lei the next morning: he got lei'd and took Suki's flowers.
- More like she took his.
- When... well, basically just the whole episode, actually. (Except for the Mood Whiplashes. Neither Zuko nor Aang are amused.)
Actor Sokka: Why did you have to steal that waterbending scroll?
Actor Katara: *sniff* It just gave me so much hope! Ahhauu!
- Sokka lampshading the entire episode as a wacky side adventure like they used to have.
- "HONOOOOOOR!" (drops through a trap door and "dies")
- "Look, Zuko, it's your honor!" "WHERE?"
- In the play, Zuko captures the Avatar, but then the Blue spirit enters, fights and defeats ...Zuko. Take a look at the real Aang and Zuko's reactions.
- "My hero!".
- "Avatar State! Yip yip!"
- "No! It is YOU who are going down!"
- "Zuko, we have to talk... about your hair! It's gone too far!"
- "My heart is so full of hope that it's making me tearbend!"
- "I'm so hungry that it's making me tearbend!"
- Sokka getting emotionally involved in the shoddily executed scene of Yue's departure. Also sad too considering that a shoddy scene made him emotional.
- Sokka got way too involved in pretty much the whole play, leading to quite a few funny moments. Some good examples include informing Aang what he "missed" while he was outside (despite the fact that obviously Aang should know what actually happened), and sneaking backstage to give Actor-Sokka some better jokes.
- Sokka goes up to Actor!Sokka with suggestions as to what he would say. The fact that Actor!Sokka likes the suggestions just makes that whole scene funnier.
- Before that, when Sokka asks if Suki can help him get him backstage:
- Also, from the departure scene:
(After they kiss)Actor!Sokka: ...did you have pickled fish for breakfast?Actress!Yue: I must go now, Sokka, I have sacred moon duties to attend to...and yes, I did have pickled fish...
- "I see everything that you see, except I don't see like you do. I release a sonic wave from my mouth. (loud banshee-esque shriek, whole theatre takes cover) There. I got a pretty good look at you."
- Made even better by Toph's incredibly happy face◊.
- The thing's made 10x better by the expressions in the audience. Virtually everyone is wincing from the 'sonic scream' (even the actors, though they're hiding it), including our Gaang... then cut to Toph, who has that face.
- "Unless....THIS IS THE FUTURE."
- "The scar's NOT on the wrong side!" *angrily pulls hood over head*
- Zuko and Aang's reactions to the way the play depicts their deaths.
- Zuko's reaction to Jet's final scene.
Zuko: Did Jet just... die?
Sokka: You know, it was really unclear.
- The death scene itself, since it's preceded by Jet's actor staggering around with Mind-Control Eyes moaning, "Must...kill...Earth King!" and the death involves having a stage rock fall on him...except he's left partly sticking out from under it and has to pull his legs under before it settles into place.
- Zuko and Katara's reactions to the Ember Island Players' suggestions of Zutara.
- Choose treachery! It's more fuu-uun!
- No Way!
- When "Toph" shows up....well, "she's" pretty much exactly what Toph is. And the best part is that Toph is delighted.
Toph: I wouldn't have cast it any other way! At least I'm not a flying bald lady. (cuts to Aang, who is furious)
- When the Gaang gets to The Great Divide.
Aang: Look! It's the Great Divide, the biggest canyon in the Earth Kingdom.
Sokka: Eh, let's keep flying.
- The re-enactment of Azula striking Aang down with lightning, only this time with ribbons and the same epic downer music.
- Directly after Toph and Zuko's heartwarming moment.
(Toph elbows Zuko hard)
Zuko: Ow! What was that for!?
Toph: That's how I show affection.
Zuko: They made me look totally stiff and humorless.
Katara: Actually, I think that actor's pretty spot on.
Zuko: How could you say that?!
Actor Iroh: Let's forget about the Avatar, and get massages.
Actor Zuko: HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?! (Katara grins, and Zuko pouts)
- During the first intermission:
Sokka: Apparently, the playwright thinks I'm an idiot who tells bad jokes about meat all the time!
Suki: Yeah. You tell bad jokes about plenty of other topics!
Sokka: I KNOW!
Katara: Relax, Aang. They're not accurate portrayals. It's not like I'm a preachy crybaby who can't resist giving over-emotional speeches about hope all the time. (Everyone looks at her) What?
- And later, in the same conversation:
Aang: Yeah... that's not you at all.
- And during another intermission:
Katara: I know it's upsetting, but it sounds like you're overreacting.
Aang: Overreacting!? If I hadn't blocked my chakra, I'd probably be in the Avatar State right now!
- And of course, this exchange after the play is over:
Zuko: That wasn't a good play.
Aang: I'll say.
Katara: No kidding.
Toph: You said it.
Sokka: But the effects were decent!
- This was already funny to begin with, but replace "play" with "movie" and it becomes Hilarious in Hindsight.
- While training to defeat the Fire Lord (using a dummy called the Melon Lord), after Sokka outlines the battle plan.
Toph: What about me?
Sokka: For now, you're the Melon Lord's forces.
Toph: So I get to chuck flaming rocks at all of you?
Sokka: Whatever makes the training feel more realistic.
- "I am not Toph! I AM MELONLORD! * Evil Laugh* "
- This one moment where Sokka takes stupidity to a new level. When Toph points out Momo is gone as well.
Toph: Hey, wait a minute, has anyone noticed that Momo's missing too?
Sokka: Oh no! I knew it was only a matter of time. Appa ate Momo! (starts climbing into Appa's mouth) Momo, I'm coming for ya, buddy!
Katara: Sokka, Appa didn't eat Momo. He's probably with Aang.
Sokka: That's just what Appa wants you to think.
Zuko: Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka.
- Gets funnier with a touch of heartwarming when you remember Sokka wanted to eat Momo when they first met.
- Even funnier is that he then gets into Appa's mouth and tries to convince the others about it. While everyone's discussing searching for Aang, in the background we see Sokka being spat out covered in saliva. He gets up wiping himself and then falls back into it again.
- Toph's insistence on going with Zuko to search for Aang because "everyone else got a magical, life-changing field trip with him!"
- Made even funnier by Zuko blushing as she hugs him.
- And the way she deliberately tries to make it life-changing by bringing up her emotional baggage in the hope it'll trigger something. It doesn't.
- Toph's quick moment of in-universe shipping:
Katara: I have a surprise for everyone!
Toph: I KNEW IT! You -did- have a secret thing with Haru! (grin)
Everyone else: (WTF looks and music cue)
Katara: ...Um, no.
- When it's decided that the rest of the Gaang will help Aang fight Ozai, a group hug is initiated...except for Zuko, who's never been into that stuff, even after joining the good guys. Katara calls Zuko over, and as he reluctantly does so, Appa decides that he wants to join the group hug too!
- As Katara and Suki are looking for Aang, they hear a crowd chanting his name. They immediately run to said crowd... and see Actor!Aang riding on Actor!Toph's shoulders. Their faces afterwards are what really sells it.
- Aang trying to come up with ideas to defeat Ozai without killing him.
Aang: Maybe we could make some big pots of glue, and then I could use gluebending to stick his arms and legs together so he can't bend anymore!Zuko: Yeah! And then you can show him his baby pictures and all those happy memories will make him good again!Zuko: NO!
- The show's Mix-and-Match Critters are always good for a laugh, but easily the funniest is an off-hand reference Aang makes to "the spider-fly, caught in its own web!"
- Avatar Extras notes that the spider-fly is the most contradictory animal in the Avatar universe.
- Just about anything Bumi ever says is guaranteed to split at least one person's sides:
Bumi: Wait! Someone's missing from your group! Someone very important. (Beat) Where's Momo?: He and Aang are missing.Bumi: Oh, well if they're together we have nothing to worry about.
- Zuko accidentally calling Ozai the Fatherlord.
- When Aang is seeking guidance from his past lives:
Avatar Kuruk: (surfing) I was more of a "go with the flow" kind of Avatar.
- While Azula's Sanity Slippage was mainly horrifying, there was this line:
Azula: Alright hair, it's time to face your doom!
- When Sokka dumps an entire Fire Nation airship's crew into the ocean after luring them to the bomb bay under the guise of holding a birthday party for a crew member. Made even funnier by the hilarious coincidence that it was actually someone's birthday.
Crew Member: I can't believe the captain remembered my birthday! He really does care!
Other Crew Member: (after being dumped into the ocean) Happy birthday.
- Plus the awkward conversation between two people from different sections who've never met.
Quin Lee: Hey, I'm Quin Lee. I work up in communications.
Crew Member: I work in the engine room. ...That's probably why we never met before.
- Earlier, when Toph knocks on the door, using the last beat in the shave-and-a-haircut rhythm to smash it off its hinges.
- Later during that scene, after Aang begins his battle with Ozai, Sokka has a few shifts in his mood:
Sokka: Go, Aang! Airbending slice! (makes chopping action)
Suki: Shouldn't we be helping him?
Sokka: (thinks about it for a second and gets serious) The Fire Lord is Aang's fight. We need to stop those airships from destroying the Earth Kingdom.
Toph: (as Sokka moves to look out the window towards the airships behind him) And how do we do that, Captain Boomerang? I can't see outside this giant hunk of metal.
Sokka: (turns back to the others gleefully, making another chopping motion) Airship slice!!
Toph clears a room full of soldiers.Toph: That's how it's done!Sokka: Good work, Toph! Time to take control of the ship, take the wheel.Toph: That's a great idea! Let the blind girl steer the giant airship!Sokka: I was talking to Suki.Toph: beat That would make a lot more sense.
- And when Toph thinks Sokka is telling her, the blind girl, to fly the airship when he was actually talking to Suki.
- During the midst of Azula's ultimate descent into insanity, there's this bit with Azula talking to Li and Lo that almost counts as Mood Whiplash:
Azula: (points to Li) Lo, you're banished. (to Lo) Li, you can stay. [Exit]
Li: But...I'm Li. So who's banished?
Azula: I sentence you two to Agni KaiLo and Li (in unison): But, we're not firebenders.
- Which was immediately preceded by:
- Before even that, the crones suggest that, in light of Azula's rapidly deminishing sanity, the coronation be postponed, Azula angrily demands to know which one of them said it. The crones point at each other.
- Azula's whittling down of her subordinates by banishing them over the littlest issue. It's darkly funny in the same way Darth Vader ran through his admirals in The Empire Strikes Back.
- Mai and Ty Lee each get one in the finale, with oddly similar reactions.
- First, Mai reunites with Zuko, and after a short conversation abruptly does a Mood Whiplash and threatens "But don't you ever. Break up with me. AGAIN." Cue Zuko giving a nervous smile that just screams "Sorry, please don't kill me."
- Next, Ty Lee has joined the Kyoshi warriors and talks about how they'll be best friends forever. She then wraps two of them in a headlock hug. The two just smile as wide as possible just like her.
- Ozai's Oh Crap! face, when being yelled at by the Avatar for the crimes he's committed, makes it look like he's crapping his pants in fear. While it sounds like it makes you laugh in the "pure Narm" sense, it really makes you laugh in the "Oh hell, he knows he's screwed now" sense.
- Before, when he looks down into the rubble where Aang lay, in the midst of a grandiose and bombastic speech...which is cut off with a loud "gyack!" when Aang's hand shoots up and snatches Ozai by the goatee.
- Suki walking up to and pointing at Ozai, slumped against a rock, and wondering whether Aang killed him. The Phoenix King raises his head to inform her; "I'm still alive."
- There's also Suki's failed attempt at taunting him, made even better by Ozai's face, which just screams "Defeated and humiliated by a bunch of kids... This is the worst day of my life."
- Made even better by the completely poleaxed expression on his face and the fact that he's drooling throughout a lot of this
- Even the "Avatar Extras" have their moments of hilarity. In "The Drill", there is a brief scene in pitch darkness. During this scene, a box pops up that says "This was the easiest scene in the episode to animate."
- "Bitter Work": "'Like A Rock' was a song by Bob Seger. It was in a lot of commercials. Aang doesn't watch commercials. He's kind of busy."
- Another good one is when the Gaang has found that all the information in the spirit library concerning the Fire Nation has long since been destroyed.
"Firebenders fight dirty. Earthbenders fight with dirt."
- "...But don't worry, Zuko won't turn into a bug."
- "Look at me! I'm Admiral Zhao!"
Fact: Aang is not Admiral Zhao.
—> Fact: Earthbenders love to be covered in dirt. ... But firebenders don't love to be covered in fire.
- From "The Cave of Two Lovers", right after Aang and Katara's kiss... or was it?:
- From Aang and Zuko's first fight in episode 2.
Aang and Zuko actually have more in common than they know. For one, they're both bald, if you don't count Zuko's firebender ponytail.
- After King Bumi welcomes the Gaang to "old people camp."
Dinner at 4 o'candle. Bedtime at 6:30 o'candle.
- The chibi-style bonus story in The Lost Adventures, where under the guidance of Avatar Kyoshi, Aang and Azula pick out teams for a game of dodgeball. Azula gets last pick of Zuko or Mai. She goes for Mai. Zuko angrily asks what he's supposed to do. Kyoshi's reply? "You're the ball!"
- Sokka's attempts at adjusting Earth King Kuei's pet bear Bosco to a life in the wild (also from The Lost Adventures), causing him more and more frustration with every attempt.
Sokka: In order to defend one's territory, you've got to sound really ferocious. So give me your most frightening roar.
King Kuei: Um, Bosco doesn't roar, but he's a lovely whistler.
- First CMOF of the interquel:
Katara: (Hugs Aang) I just hate seeing you get like that, sweetie.
Sokka: Um, Aang? Katara? You're giving me the oogies over here!
Katara: Aargh! I am so sick of hearing about your stupid "oogies," Sokka! I don't even know what that means!
Toph: I can explain. Give me your hand.
Katara: (Gives Toph her hand)
Toph: Gaaah... (Licks Katara's hand)
Distant Reaction Shot: OOGIE!
- Best part is how Toph apparently has Gene Simmons' tongue. Slides it riiight up Katara's ring finger.
- "You know what fireworks are like for me?" *Toph screams in Sokka's ear*
- Aang crashing his Air Scooter into the statue with an "OOOOOF!" during every episode's intro trailer.
- Any of the Foamy Mouth Guy's appearances.
- In the animated short "School Time Shipping", Katara ends up with... The Blue Spirit. Zuko's reaction is hilarious.
- "I did not see that coming."
- The final message of the Avatar Extras version of the series gives a nod to the Ship-to-Ship Combat and a Take That to the Zutara ship as Aang and Katara share a kiss.
- The strange noise Momo makes whenever he eats and now he does it when he performs!
- Any time Sokka tries to get Aang to man-up.
Sokka: (to Aang) Don't answer to 'Twinkletoes'! It's not manly!
- "So, can I borrow Momo for a week?"
- Any Funny Background Moment with Sokka in all 3 books would qualify, which is where most accidents happen to him.
- And finally, "MY CABBAGES!"