A special dinner with the Parker family.We Are What We Are
is a 2013 horror
film that also has elements of drama. It is a remake of a 2010 Mexican film of the same name, but with some details changed. The film stars Bill Sage, Ambyr Childers, and Julia Garner, and was directed by Jim Mickle.
The story involves the Parkers, a family who follow a hallowed tradition that has been in their lineage for many years. It is the responsibility of Mrs. Parker to ensure that observance of the tradition comes to pass, but after she dies, it falls upon the eldest child in the family, Iris. Her slightly younger sister Rose also takes on some responsibility, albeit with more hesitation. Her reluctance becomes entirely understandable when it is revealed that the Parker family tradition is a yearly cannibalistic dinner.
We Are What We Are provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Mr. Parker.
- Asshole Victim: Mr. Parker.
- Bittersweet Ending: The Parker children successfully escape their father (by killing him) and leave their hometown to a hopefully brighter future. However, they are now orphans, and many of their friends are dead.
- Blood from the Mouth: This happens to Mrs. Parker before she dies.
- Break the Cutie: Both the girls, but more so Iris.
- Cannibal Clan: The basis of the plot.
- Church Militant: Mr. Parker is one of these.
- Cool Big Sis: Rose to Rory, her and Iris's younger brother.
- Daddy's Girl: Iris initially has shades of this, though they mostly disappear after Mr. Parker murders Anders.
- Downer Beginning: The film starts with Mrs. Parker dying somewhat violently. Things only get worse.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Rose's hair, which goes from tightly braided to a mass of curls. It seems to symbolize her becoming free.
- Fan Disservice: Iris and Rose take a shower together. It's not at all sexy seeing as they both appear incredibly upset and disturbed. Not to mention that this scene takes place right after they've finished killing someone.
- Gray Rain of Depression: For the first part of the film, there is very heavy rainfall that causes flooding throughout the town.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit: During dinners, all the Parkers dress in clothes that would probably better suit pioneers.
- Ironic Death: Mr. Parker Eaten Alive by his children.
- Missing Mom: The film starts off with Mrs. Parker's death.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Iris and Rose both show these feelings after they kill the person to be used for the cannibalistic meal.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: This is what happened to one of the past generations of the Parker family, thus creating the "tradition."
- Patricide: Iris and Rose are responsible for this, thus becoming Self Made Orphans.
- Offing the Offspring: Mr. Parker adds arsenic to one of the family's suppers in an attempt to invoke this. It doesn't work out.
- Out with a Bang: Anders is killed by Mr. Parker while he and Iris are having sex.
- Perpetual Frowner: All of the Parker family, essentially.
- Rose and Rory smile about once each.
- Iris smiles once in the film, but it's forced.