Sons of the Desert is a 1933 film starring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.The film concerns Stanley helping Oliver fake an illness in an effort to fool their shrewish wives into thinking Stanley is going to take Oliver to Hawaii for a cure, when really they plan to go to their "Sons of the Desert" convention, which Oliver's wife had forbid him to attend.
This film contains examples of:
- Brotherhood of Funny Hats: The "Sons".
- Delayed Oh Crap!: Stan
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Particularly at the end of the film, between Oliver and his wife.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Mrs. Hardy
- Henpecked Husband: Both Laurel and Hardy.
- Hypocritical Humor: Ollie criticizes Stan for letting his wife boss him around. Then we meet Ollie's wife...
- Malaproper: Laurel, as usual."Honesty is the best politics.""We floundered in a typhoid."
- Mathematician's Answer: Stan and Ollie wouldn't get back home until they came up with a cover story for an escapade. When interrogated by cops about their places of residence, Ollie claimed to live at home and Stan said he was Ollie's next door neighbor. Stan, being Stan, told a really useful answer later.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Ollie's wife gives him an off-screen one by throwing every dish in the house at him.
- Off the Table: Implied; Ollie's wife originally wanted him to go to a retreat into the mountains instead of the convention. When Ollie's big lie is uncovered, he sheepishly suggests they take that trip into the mountains. Ollie's wife doesn't verbally answer but ends up hitting him with many dishes.
- Oh Crap!: Ollie has one when he sees the newspaper headline reporting the sinking of the ship they told their wives they were on.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: From a most unlikely source.Stan: I've certainly got to hand it to you, Ollie.
Ollie: For what?
Stan: Well, for the meticulous care with which you have executed your finely-formulated machinations in extricating us from this devastating dilemma.
Ollie: (stares into the camera)
Stan: Then, on the other hand...
Ollie: Get in bed. "Meticulous". Hmmph!