Hi there =)Smiley
is a 2012 psychological slasher
film directed by Michael Gallagher of Totally Sketch
. The film stars Caitlin Gerard, Melanie Papalia, Shane Dawson
, Andrew James Allen, Liza Weil, Toby Turner
and Keith David
After learning of an urban legend in which a demented serial killer named Smiley McGee, whose face is totally blank save for the smiley face he carved there himself, can be summoned through the internet, mentally fragile Ashley must decide whether she is losing her mind or becoming Smiley's next victim.
The film was released in theaters, on video and demand, and via online streaming on October 11, 2012. The trailer can be viewed here.
Tropes applying to Smiley:
- Asshole Victim: Heavily implied that this fate will befall the entire group who haunted Ashley as Smiley, as the real Smiley kills one of them on camera and it's stated that he goes after the summoner after the kill.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Ashley tries summoning Smiley to kill someone to test the legend out and it works.
- Big Bad: Almost everyone as the events of the movie was one big prank on Ashley.
- Bigger Bad: Smiley himself.
- Bittersweet Ending: There's actually no Smiley and that it was all a practical prank. Unfortunately, Ashley doesn't discover this, since she jumps to her death while running away from the fake Smiley, who is revealed to be a group made from her closest friends as a prank. She lives, as the stinger indicates, and the real Smiley begins to set his sights on the pranksters.
- Blood from the Mouth: Blood comes out of Smiley's mouth and eyes.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: Ashley fears Smiley will go after her after she uses him to kill someone. At the end of the film, the group slowly realizes this too.
- For the Evulz: The group that is Smiley's motivation. They don't even mind if they wind up killing people. Their reaction? "DUDE! AWESOME! FOR THE LULZ!"
- Gambit Roulette: Literally, as the group's plan to scare Ashley involves using a Chat Roulette-like clone, which randomly selects people to talk to. Their plan also relies on the police not bothering to check in on the reports of murder, or anyone else for that matter..
- Ironic Nickname: One of the group members is nicknamed Pedobear after the internet meme, even though Pedobear is a pedophile while the member they call Pedobear reports pedophiles. May or may not have been intentional on the writers' part.
- Karma Houdini: Averted. As soon as the group drove Ashley to suicide and they celebrate on the fact, one of the members gets killed by the real Smiley, and since another member was the one who summoned him, he's bound to be next too.
- Karmic Death: Right after the group celebrates their successive trolling, the real Smiley kills one of them via the urban legend, then looks at another member with a look that clearly indicates that he, and perhaps the group in general are next.
- Murder.com: Smiley can be summoned over a chat site in which the urban legend was found on 4chan's /b/ board. You have to type "I did it for the lulz" to bring out Smiley.
- Nightmare Face: Smiley... Well, duh.
- Plot Hole: The movie is full of them, especially when Fridge Logic is applied.
- Would Youtube actually allow videos portraying displays of extreme violence (the Smiley murders) to be on their site?
- Stacy acts scared of Smiley even when she's alone despite being in on it all along.
- Police Are Useless: Mind you, if any cops heard that there's an urban legend going around that a serial killer can appear and murder people if certain conditions are met and are talking with a person who was in a popular video in which she goes crazy and smashes her laptop, they might be skeptical. However, there's some gross negligence going on with the cop who talks to the heroine, as he says he's received the report of this kind of murder multiple times, and not once did he bother to look into it. And no, they're not in on the scheme.
- Real After All: Much to the shock and horror of one of the members.
- The Reveal:
- Smiley turns out to be a group of people who were messing with Ashley under the name "Anonymous". They consist of her roommate and several people she met at the party who had all somewhat "died".
- An extra one seconds before the end where it turns out Smiley is real.
- Serious Business: A real-life example: Remember Rules 1 and 2 of the internet? Do not talk about /b/? Well, imagine how some 4channers feel when a movie is revolved around it. It caused quite a backlash just by breaking those rules.
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: The main protagonist Ashley is blonde and is haunted by Smiley.
- Slasher Smile: Perhaps the creepiest looking one.
- The Sociopath: The group masterminding the prank. They are using the prank to make the urban legend of Smiley, and spread it out more by terrorizing the heroine throughout the movie. When they think they drove Ashley to sucide, the give celebrate it as a job well done. One does however express some degree of remorse over this.
- Spiritual Successor: Chain Letter 2.0.
- Troll: Pretty obvious seeing as this movie is based around the internet. But as it turns out the group that is Smiley are also trolls too.
- The Stinger: Ashley was only mostly dead.
- Twist Ending: The Smileys during the near end were trolls. When the leader tells one of his subordinates via webcam of the success, he then types "I did it for the lulz" three times and then the real Smiley shows up and kills her. And since Smiley goes after the summoner after killing said summoners victim, he presumably gets killed by him.
- Urban Legend: Smiley himself is one.
- X Meets Y: Scream meets Candyman
- You Have to Believe Me: Poor Ashley.