"The Phantom of the Megaplex strikes again!"
A 2000 Disney Channel
comedy film. Very loosely based on The Phantom of the Opera
, the story concerns strange happenings at a megaplex on the night of a major movie premiere, Midnight Mayhem. Pete Riley, the seventeen year old assistant manager of the theater has to cope with malfunctioning equipment, disappearing staff, and a broken popcorn machine
! He investigates the troubles to find out if it's all a coincidence or the result of sabotage by a mysterious "phantom". Not to mention the antics of his younger siblings.
The movie provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Wolfgang Nedermayer keeps getting Shawn's last name wrong. After Shawn is revealed to be the Phantom, Wolfgang comes down on him hard and gets his name wrong, again. This drives Shawn to scream and correct him. He tells him he did all this so he can be noticed. But fed up with Wolfgang not caring, he quits.
- Actor Allusion: Unbelievably, Mickey Rooney as Movie Mason. He even gets the chance to sing!
- Affectionate Parody: Of movies in general.
- Another Story for Another Time: about the Werewolf of the Megaplex...
- Bizarrchitecture: The Megaplex.
- Building of Adventure: Again, the Megaplex.
- Cassandra Truth: Nobody will listen to Bryan about the Phantom, at first.
- Catch Phrase: "The Phantom of the Megaplex strikes again!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Pete, Karen and Bryan, must run in the family.
- Description Cut: Pete and his mom are talking about the premiere, while Julie openly worries if he can handle the pressure. Pete assures her that he and the team are professionals who can handle anything. Cut to Shawn:
Pete: Mom, were professionals, we have everything under control.
Shawn: (hangs up phone) It's a disaster!
- Deus ex Machina: The sword.
- Dramatic Unmask
- Evil Laugh: The Phantom indulges in this a lot.
- Elaborate Underground Base: Move Mason has one dedicated to old movies.
- Finagle's Law: Basically, during the night of the premier, anything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Even Pete's mom and her boyfriend George have a lousy night, and they weren't even at the megaplex for most of the evening.
- Genre Savvy: Bryan as well as Movie Mason.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: The Phantom.
- Jerkass: Shawn MacGibbon, many of the Hollywood-ites who show up for the premiere as well.
- Jerk Jock: Donny Hollie
- Kick the Dog: Everyday Mason would come in to the Megaplex and offer his services, he'd even make a work schedule for himself and hand it over to Shawn for approval. And every single day, Shawn would kindly take the note, tear it up and throw it away... right in front of Mason.
- That and calling him a freakshow during the grand opening, seriously, the man has zero respect for his betters.
- Motor Mouth: "Racy" Lacy, the theater worker, known for being super fast in the talking department.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Terry, a.k.a. "Scary Terry", who enjoys recapping disturbing urban legends to anyone in earshot. Of course, it turns out that Terry herself is capable of being scared.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed
- Offscreen Teleportation: The Phantom has a knack for appearing and disappearing at will.
- Scooby-Doo Hoax
- Show Within a Show: The movies playing at the Megaplex.
- Shout-Out: to The Phantom of the Opera.
- Team Mom: Hillary Horan, a.k.a. Hillary Honey. Pete himself likens her to a sweet old grandmother, in the body of a teenager.
- Title Drop: Happens thanks to Pete's brother Bryan.
- Villainous Breakdown
- White Mask of Doom: If it's based on the Phantom of the Opera, of course.