Obvious Child is a 2014 film written and directed by Gillian Robespierre (based on her 2009 short film, co-written with Anna Bean and Karen Maine) in her directorial debut. The film stars Jenny Slate, Jake Lacy, Gaby Hoffmann and David Cross. The film follows Donna Stern (Jenny Slate), a stand-up comedian, who after a drunken one-night stand finds out she is pregnant and decides to have an abortion.
- Adorkable: Max.
- Adult Fear: Having drunken, unprotected sex with a complete stranger and getting pregnant.
- But We Used a Condom: Averted, sort of.Donna: I remember seeing a condom; I just don't know exactly what it did.
- Big Applesauce: Set primarily in Brooklyn.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Max.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Donna, following being broken up with and giving a disastrous and embarrassing stand up comedy performance.
- Creator Breakdown: An in-universe example. After Donna is dumped by her boyfriend, she has an onstage breakdown when performing stand up.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Nellie refers to Max as "Pee-farter".
- Gay Best Friend: Joey for Donna.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Averted. Donna decides almost immediately to have an abortion, and follows through, with little anxiety about the actual procedure. Her mother and roommate Nellie both have had an abortion in the past.
- Idealized Sex: Played with. Initially, Donna and Max's encounter is a little idealized, but when Donna flashes back weeks later, they are shown awkwardly fumbling with clothing and making multiple unsuccessful attempts to open a condom.Donna: I can't get your blouse off!
- Introduction by Hookup: Donna and Max. Max later visits the bookstore where Donna works and turns out to be one of her mother's students.
- I Want Grandkids: An interesting example in that it's an off-hand comment made by 20-something Jake, who doesn't even have kids yet.
- My Secret Pregnancy: Donna hides her pregnancy from Max, mostly because she doesn't know how to tell him.
- Overly Narrow Superlative: The poster hails it as "the most winning abortion-themed rom-com ever made."
- Trailers Always Spoil: Done deliberately. There's no mystery as to whether Donna will go through with the abortion.
- Your Cheating Heart: Donna's boyfriend tells her he's cheating on her and then breaks up with her, sending her into a tailspin.