It's a matter of life and sex.Maybe Baby
is a 2000 British comedy film, written and directed by Ben Elton, and based on his novel Inconceivable
. It stars Hugh Laurie
and Joely Richardson as a couple trying for a baby. Sam Bell is a failing screenwriter married to Lucy, a secretary taking a course in William Shakespeare
. Sam decides to write what he knows, and he knows infertility. He wife is against it, but he goes ahead with it anyway. It doesn't end well...
Provides examples of:
- Black Comedy: What Ewan Proclaimer's script Sick Junkie is supposed to be.
- Character Development: The IVF plot, and Lucy's diary entry/monologue about longing for children.
- Cluster F-Bomb: "I knew it was shite, long before you told me it was shite. But at least, I write shite. You sit on your arse at the taxpayers expense and tell people who write shite that what they write is shite. But you know what? My shite shits on your shite."
- Later on he comments that Sam's script is 'good shite'.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lucy, Sam, etc.
- Granola Girl: Druscilla.
- No Indoor Voice: Nigel, Sam's boss.
- Overly Long Gag: Ewan's monologue on shite.
- Show Within a Show: Sick Junkie and Sam's film.
- Squick: George's reaction to talk of sperm tests and IVF treatment.
- You Just Told Me: Played with; when Nigel calls him a wanker, he's in the middle of a conversation about sperm tests, he asks "How did you know?".