Creator: Joanna Lumley
"I find it a great antidote... lipstick and mirrors and hairspray."'Joanna Lamond Lumley, OBE, FRGS is a British actress, voice-over artist, former-model and author, whose career has spanned over four decades. She was born on 1 May 1946 in Srinagar, India, which was then part of The British Empire.Her acting career began in 1969 with a small role in the film Some Girls Do and as a Bond Girl in On Her Majesty's Secret Service. She became a star in the UK in the late 1970s thanks to two leading TV roles, first as Action Girl Purdey in The New Avengers, a Darker and Edgier Revival of The Avengers, and second as the questionably benevolent Humanoid Abomination Sapphire in Sapphire And Steel. Her second period of major fame came in the 1990s when she starred with Jennifer Saunders in Absolutely Fabulous. Joanna Lumley has also starred in a number of documentaries about exotic places in the world, travelling the breadth of the River Nile to ancient Egyptian tombs. She has become well known for her distinctive, breathless way of speaking and British Accent and as such voices AOL mail.
- Some Girls Do (1969)
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) — She played the typical Bond Girl.
- The Breaking of Bumbo (1970)
- Games That Lovers Play (1970)
- Tam-Lin (1970)
- The House That Dripped Blood (1971)
- Don't Just Lie There, Say Something! (1971)
- The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1971)
- Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)
- Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
- Shirley Valentine (1989)
- Cold Comfort Farm (1995)
- Innocent Lies (1995)
- James and the Giant Peach (1996)
- Prince Valiant (1997)
- Parting Shots (1999)
- Mad Cows Gillian (1999)
- Maybe Baby (2000)
- Whispers: An Elephant's Tale (2000)
- The Cat's Meow (2001)
- Standing Room Only (2004)
- Euro Trip (2004)
- Ella Enchanted (2004)
- The Magic Roundabout (2005)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- Dolls (2006)
- Boogie Woogie (2009)
- This Beautiful Fantastic (2010)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
- Late Bloomers (TBA)
Notable television roles:
- The New Avengers (1976-77)
- Sapphire And Steel (1979-1982)
- Coming Home (1998) (mini-series)
- Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death (1999), briefly playing the Doctor
- Sensitive Skin (2005-2006)
- Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2012)
Tropes associated with this actress include:
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: She was a model when she was young and has only stopped in the New Tens.
- Granola Girl: She's been a vegetarian for years and champions several environmental/Eco-friendly projects.
- Nepali With Nasty Knives: She has become well known in British Media for protesting for the rights of Gurkas — and she is considered a "national treasure" of Nepal because of her support.
- The Other Darrin: In The Satanic Rites of Dracula she played the role of Jessica Van Helsing, originated by Stephanie Beacham in Dracula A.D. 1972.
- What Could Have Been: She was lined up to be the first female Doctor, but BBC ultimately axed the idea.