Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer is a Canadian Comedy Horror film starring (and produced by) Trevor Matthews and featuring Robert Englund. Matthews plays Jack Brooks, a plumber prone to sudden bouts of extreme rage. Englund is his professor, Crowley, who unearths a terrible evil. Jack Brooks must face his tragic past and find a way to channel the darkness inside of him.
This film exhibits the following tropes:
- Affectionate Parody: Of Hillbilly Horrors and unlikely protagonists.
- Battle Trophy: Near the end of the film, Jack hunts down the creature that killed his family and takes a souvenir from it.
- Beat Still, My Heart: One of the signs that the demon is still active is that its heart starts to beat in Dr. Crowley's hand.
- Blood Knight: By the end of the film, Jack has embraced this role.
- Chekhov's Classroom: The sodium in the lab.
- Combat Tentacles: The creature slaps Jack around with the tentacles quite a bit.
- Dark and Troubled Past: As a child, Jack's family was slaughtered by a beast in the forest while he ran. It's implied to be the source of his anger problems and it's the reason he chooses not to run in the end.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Dr. Crowley's dog is well aware of where the evil in the house is.
- Hook Hand: Old Howard, as the result of his uncle being possessed before.
- Horror Hunger: Crowley is ravenous after he eats the heart of the demon.
- My Car Hates Me: Jack's van regularly stalls out, even when he's trying to escape from the monsters.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Matthews keeps slipping into his native Canadian accent.
- Practical Effects: Only two very minor shots rely on CGI.
- Role Called: His name is in the title.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror: Heavily on the comedic side.
- Tentacle Rope: How the monster keeps the students in one place.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted. Jack was assigned a therapist after his traumatic childhood experience and he sees him several times throughout the film.
- Unstoppable Rage: Jack is prone to bouts of rage. They come in handy once he's facing monsters.