is an American horror film, released February 8, 2008. It was written and directed by Tom Skull.
Eight troubled young adults are inducted into a rehabilitation program: They will be sent to serve a week of community service for their respective misdemeanors at a national park dubbed Grizzly Park
. Little they know is that the guy that should drive them there has been murdered and replaced by a escaped Serial Killer
and rapist. And then everything gets a turn for the worse
when another serial killer, this time of the Ursus arctos species
, appears and decides to pick them for dinner one by one
Not to be confused with Grizzly Rage
, which amusingly, also features a killer bear.
Tropes associated with this work:
- All Animals Are Domesticated: The first thing Ranger Bob tells the group is that this is not true. A minute later, Bebe ignores it.
- Comes full circle in the end when it's revealed that the murdering bear was controlled by Ranger Bob the whole time
- Always a Bigger Fish: Wolves? Serial killers? Nothing compared to a big, angry BEAR!
- Asshole Victim: Almost all of them.
- Bears Are Bad News
- Black and Nerdy: Ty.
- Black Comedy: Anything involving Bebe's breasts.
- Black Dude Dies First: Technically not true. But he's still the first of the young adults to get hurt and the first to be killed by the bear.
- Blatant Lies: Scab the Neonazi only likes white people. Riiiiight.
- Brainless Beauty / Too Dumb to Live: Bebe. Revealed at the end to practice Obfuscating Stupidity
- Cell Phones Are Useless: Several instances:
- The kids aren't allowed to use cell phones in the first place.
- The only phone that works in the forest is Ty's satellite phone anyway, and he lends it to Candy before deciding to split the gang. Oops.
- The Serial Killer kills early the only other ranger in the park and breaks up the cabin's radio.
- Con Man: Ty.
- Developing Doomed Characters
- Dwindling Party.
- Fair Cop: Ranger Mike.
- Fanservice: Lots, if very tame.
- Final Girl: Subverted.
- Fish out of Water: All the kids in the program.
- Gag Boobs: It is speculated many times whether Bebe's breasts are fake or not. They are, and we find out in a very disgusting way.
- Gold Digger: Candy.
- Gorn: One character is ripped in half with their guts spilt out.
- Halfway Plot Switch: At first it looks like this is a slasher movie with a maniac in the forest. Then 40 minutes in the bear appears.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Bebe.
- The Killer Becomes the Killed / The Worf Effect: The Serial Killer is the first victim of the protagonist bear.
- Let's Split Up, Gang
- Male Gaze
- Mandatory Twist Ending / Gainax Ending: So... Ranger Bob is also a Serial Killer? And his weapon of choice is a bear?
- Misplaced Wildlife: The movie takes place in California, but the beast in question is an Alaskan Kodiak bear. It's actually justified: It's said early on that the last grizzly in the park was killed in 1922, and the killer bear is revealed to be commanded by Ranger Bob in the end, who presumably brought it
- Oh, Crap: Any time someone sees the bear for the first time.
- Only Sane Man: Ranger Bob.
- The Perfect Crime: All the young adults deaths are blamed at the end on Serial Killer Butch Latham, who is though to have escaped afterwards but in reality was killed and eaten the first by the bear, so even the bear is spared of any blame for the killings
- Saying Too Much: Yeah, everybody just left. Except me. And you, who are a Serial Killer. Why?
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: How Ryan ended in the program rather than in jail despite having sex with a minor and leaving her in a coma.
- Serial Killer: Butch Latham.
- Spicy Latina: Lola.
- Superpersistent Predator: Subverted most of the time. It's said early that this is the time of the year when bears eat the most before going into hibernation, yet the bear only kills (and always eats) one person per night. Then in the final 20 minutes it enters the camp and kills everybody present non-stop but because it's controlled by Ranger Bob, who has decided that all the young delinquents deserve to die.
- Token Black: Ty.
- Token Minority Couple: Ty (Token Black) and Kiki (Token Asian) get close really fast but the critters don't give them a chance to get anywhere
- Upper-Class Twit: Candy.
- Your Costume Needs Work: One of the victims is stoned when the bear attacks, and confuses it with a guy wearing a bear suit.