Dat axe. Absurd
(1981) (also known as Rosso Sangue
, Anthropophagus 2
, The Grim Reaper 2
and Zombie 6: Monster Hunter
) is an Italian horror film
considered to be an unofficial sequel to The Anthropophagus Beast
. It was directed by Joe D'Amato, was written by George Eastman, and it was on the Video Nasties
list in the early 1980's.
The plot concerns a nearly invincible man known only as Mikos whose blood coagulates incredibly fast. The rapid coagulation is a gift that has made him insanely homicidal. A priest pursues Mikos to try to destroy him, knowing that the only way to do so is to destroy the brain. Naturally, given the movie's reputation
, things are pretty much required to get worse before they get better.
This movie inspired the name of German black metal band Absurd, a national socialist band
who committed murder in 1993.
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Big Damn Heroes: Subverted. The priest shows up, gun in hand, but is quickly strangled by Mikos.
- California Doubling: Set in America, but filmed in Italy.
- Car Fu: Mikos is accidentally run over by Mr. Bennett.
- Dolled-Up Installment: Anthropophagus 2, The Grim Reaper 2 and Zombie 6: Monster Hunter.
- Eagleland: You can tell the setting is America and totally not Italy because of how awesome everyone is always saying football is.
- The Stoic: Mr. Bennett is a pretty apathetic guy, not really caring that he ran over a man, and showing little interest when his wife tells him about Mikos being disemboweled on their fence.
- Things That Go Bump in the Night: Lots of comparisons to the boogeyman.