Film: A Night At The Roxbury
A Night at the Roxbury is the 1998 movie spun off from the SNL skit starring Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan. The movie tells about Doug and Steve Butabi's journey as they get into the biggest and best nightclub in the city.The skits are best known for originating the "Roxbury head-bop" to the Haddaway song "What Is Love". This is an epic skit.
This film provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Emily, to an extent.
- Adaptation Expansion
- Arranged Marriage: Steve and Emily, more or less.
- As Himself: Richard Grieco.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Dooey, though it seems to be less about Mr. Zadir's level of competence and more about the strange tasks he's given. That and Zadir's constant (though playful) accusations that Dooey grabbed his ass.
- Captain Obvious: "You can take away our keys, and you can take away our cell phones, but you cannot take away our dreams!" "Yeah, because we're, like, sleeping when we have them!"
- Casanova Wannabe: Doug and Steve.
- Comically Small Bribe: "Well, maybe my friend Mr... Washington will change your mind. Uh, and his friend Mr... Washington..."
- Coolest Club Ever: The actual coolest club to ever be seen in movies — Exit (which was dreamed up by the main characters), where the inside looks like the outside, and the outside looks like the inside.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Doug and Steve, constantly.
- Double Entendre:"Doug, if I told you you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"(and also) "Nice bulbs, Emily. ...Oh, and I don't mean that metaphorically."
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After some initial success halfway through the movie, all of Doug and Steve's plans quickly unravel, causing a rift between them and allowing their father to push Steve into marrying Emily. After Doug interrupts Steve's wedding at the last second, things quickly take a turn for the better and everything the brothers had been wishing for quickly falls into their lap.
- Erotic Eating: Emily tries this on Steve, but fails.
- Fair Cop: Hottie Police Officer.
- Fan Disservice: Doug and Steve's bathing suits.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Mr. Butabi disapproves of his sons' desire to open a nightclub, instead trying to push them toward a future of working in his fake plant store.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In the beginning of the pool party scene, the camera pans past a topless woman sitting poolside. Not completely unheard of in a PG-13 movie in the 90s, but pretty rare.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Leopard print, to be precise.
- Man Child: Doug and Steve.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Doug and Steve are both hopeless virgins.
- Pun:Craig: Man, I owe you...
[pulls out an energy bar called "Big Time"]
Craig: BIG TIME! For bringing me here!
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Running Gag:
- "Doug and Steve Butabi." "Are you two brothers?" "No... YES!"
- "Did you grab my ass?"
- The Emilio Estevez story.
- Sex as a Rite-of-Passage
- Shout-Out: 21 Jump Street and Johnny Depp are referenced by Mr. Zadir and Doug when talking to Richard Grieco. He isn't amused.
- Speed Sex: "42 SECONDS LATER"
- Toplessness from the Back: The girl getting out of the pool.
- Yawn and Reach: It works a little too well.