Proof that the remaining 10% is worth joining the Brotherhood for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for X-Men
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
, by AriTeir
- Recommended by /nindjo
- Synopsis: Au. What if Mutant abilities developed before adolescence and a man known only as Logan, running from his unknown past ends up raising two certain little girls..
- Comments a short but very sweet story about wolverine adopting a young rogue and kitty pryde.
, by antiochene
Book of Magik
- Recommended by Very Melon
- Synopsis: The Phoenix has come to earth, but so have the Shi'ar. The X-Men and the Avengers discover that the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they try to overcome their differences and work together to save the mutant race - and Earth itself.
- Comments This is a Fix Fic for the much-reviled Avengers vs. X-Men Crisis Crossover. The author has taken great stride in addressing the several Plot Holes the event created by ignoring continuity to force its plot along. Definite read for any X-Fan. Completed.
, by Xakko
The Mutant Problem
- Recommended by uncannybeetle
- Synopsis: Set before Messiah Complex, this story deals with the return of Belaco to Limbo and the attempts by the X-Men and the rest of the world's heroes to stop him. All the while the shadow of the former ruler of Limbo, Illyana Rasputin, hangs over all.
- Comments All the characters are in character. The plot twists are well thought out. And one very important event is handled far better than it was in the comics.
, by XenoKattz
Last Son series
- Recommended by Jonn
- Synopsis: A series of interviews and photographs, by Peter Parker for the New York Times, about the aftermath of the telepathic attack in the second film.
- Comments: The sheer amount of effort put into this thing is staggering. It's on a perfect replica of the NYT website, even doing that auto-search thing highlighting any text does. The writer went into a lot of detail.
- godborn: A lot is a rather large understatement. This writer has done what the actual films could not in constructing a wonderfully believable world in which all of humanity's issues are simply compacted by the "Mutant Problem". Also, Peter is done in character with mentions of MJ and Uncle Ben.
By The Writer With No Name
- Recommended by Pygmalion, The Rich Sheik
- Synopsis: "X-Men: Evolution crossover with Superman. AU Season 1. In the early days of the Institute, Charles Xavier finds a young man with a great legacy: Kal El, the Last Son of Krypton. He will change the X-Men's world forever. Crossover with Superman.
- Comments: This is one of the best crossover fics between Marvel and DC that I have ever read. What initially starts as a simple Superman/X-Men crossover eventually turns into a MASSIVE crossover between what appears to be the entire Marvel and DC universes. A three-part story (with a fourth currently in progress), this is an enormous feat of writing, and one that The Writer With No Name accomplished amazingly well. Of note is how Superman, while the main character, does not dominate the narrative - other members of the X-Men (and later, the JLA) have their moments in the spotlight. Aspects of this fic are taken from the X-Men: Evolution TV show, Ultimate Marvel, DC comics, and a variety of other comics and TV shows that feature these characters. While long (1,446,213 words and counting for all three parts), it is an amazing read! Now if only somebody would make a TV show out of this...
By J Harper
Thick As Thieves
- (Recommendation moved from the Marvel page.)
- Recommended by Kirayoshi
- Synopsis: X-Men comic-verse, AU, based on Whedon's run of Astonishing. When the X-Men investigate an attack on a museum exhibit of Russian antiquities, they're not prepared for the emergence of an old friend, long thought dead, now an implacable enemy. What terrible power turned Piotr Rasputin into Nicholai the Deathless?
- Comments: This fic is better than a lot of books that people pay money for! Strong characterization, a well-written, rapidly paced plot, and a host of deliciously nasty new villains modeled after Russian folklore. Some canon Kitty/Piotr shipping, but mostly in the background, as the emphasis is on action and drama. Good stuff! All of Whedon's run on AXM should have been this good!
By Valerie J
- Recommended by Stratagemini
- Synopsis: After falling in love with the wife of the head of the New York Thieves Guild, Bobby Drake knows that he will do anything to get her. Even approach Gambit to sponsor him into the guild.
- Comments: An all around excellent story, you've got character development, conflict, well written fight scenes dramatic tension and a good style of writing. The girl acts more as a MacGuffin than as an original character, but the few scenes she has lines in are well written and well thought out. The main focus is on Bobby Drake both growing as a person, and growing into the true scope of his powers.
by Valerie J
- Recommended by Stratagemini
- Synopsis: Sequel to Thick As Thieves. When Operation: Zero Tolerance turns into a fullfledged mutant hunt, Remy must use all of his resources to keep the X Men safe while they search for a way to bring Bastion down.
- Comments: Where Thick as Thieves focuses more on Bobby, this focuses on Gambit, exploring the limits of his powers, and more interestingly, what happens when he loses them. The entire story explores the limits to which Gambit will go to protect those he cares for and those under his care. If you enjoyed Thick as Thieves, this story is perhaps three times as good.
- As a warning for posterity, I find it necessary to say that this fic is unfinished and will likely remain so. That said, it's an amazing story and worth all the hours it will take to read.
A Dark and Hungry God Arises
- Recommended by PirateLomg
- "Synopsis": Cassie is taken in by Team X and struggles to survive as a teenaged girl among 7 hardened soldiers.
- "Comments": Has a lot of well rounded characters, a fun premise, and a lot of development. Cassie could have easily become a Mary Sue, but the author manages to avoid this, making her a well rounded character with flaws, weaknesses, and feelings. Cassie's break the cutie is also rather painful to read despite being well written.
by Amanda Sichter
First, Do No Harm
- Recommended by: Mipp
- Summary: Charles Xavier's horrifying descent into Onslaught.
- Comments: Amanda Sichter is the queen of psychological horror in the X-Men fandom, and this may be her finest work. This is nothing less than a showdown between Xavier and the dark side of his soul.
by Poi Lass
A Test of Power
- Recommended by Mipp, seconded by Ad Eb
- Summary: A terrible event leaves two best friends utterly shattered.
- Comments: They don't come much more Tear Jerker than this. The back and forth between Hank and Bobby is heart-wrenching, as is the slow realization of what happened to Iceman and the source of Beast's crippling guilt.
- Wow. Just. Wow. Such a touching story. The two characters actually seem... real. One of the best short fan fics I've ever read.
- Recommended by Red Dragonfly
- Summary: This story sets out to make all the inconsistencies concerning the two villains Mr. Sinister and Apocolypse make sense, but it's so much more than just that.
- Comments: So much more. Gives real motives and reasoning behind the two villians and all the other characters too. I think it has better writing and continuity than some of the canon. It is so beautifully written as well, cannot recomend it enough. Note: This story appeared to be dead for some time, but the author added a new chapter a few months ago. I can only hope he continues.
Deadpool's Awesome Fanfiction
- Recommended by Lavanya Six
- Synopsis: What if Charles Xavier ran his school like a cult? (WARNING - Mature Themes)
- Comments: A very dark, twisted story where nothing is the same in the Marvel Universe. An interesting political backstory is present throughout the story, which is primarily told in script format as a transcript from a documentary.
There's A Mutant Under My Bed!
- Recommended by Love Is Weird
- Synopsis: The merc with a mouth, in his usual awareness of the continuity, realizes that he is in a fanfiction and decides to correct some common issues with the medium.
- Comments: This is Deadpool at his fan fic best. He's totally in-character, it has a Parody Sue (who gets killed, of course, this is Deadpool we're talking about), and he's hyper-aware. Twilight-bashers, go forth to the second chapter. PG-13, it has guns.
by Loni Kingrey
Even Angels Have Scars
- Recommended by Mipp
- Synopsis: A garbled message from Excalibur leads to panic and hilarity among the X-Men. Meanwhile, Gambit and Joseph's competition for Rogue's affections becomes progressively more ridiculous.
- Comments: A light-hearted and funny story that still makes this reader cackle years after the first read. The one-liners fly thick and fast!
by Blue Frodo
- Recommended by Ye Mighty Despair
- Synopsis: A very well written and thought out backstory to movieverse!Nightcrawler that connects many elements from the original comics, Enochian mysticism, and even two works of art from 19th century Hungarian artist Mihály Zichy in with how the blue furry one got his scars. OK, the art actually doesn't show up until the sequel, but still In the beginning it mostly focuses on his life in the circus under his protective adoptive mother Margali's watch, but gradually becomes much darker as Kurt grows and discovers why Margali was always so worried for him, why he looks the way he does, and just how dangerous the world can be to someone who looks like a demon.
- Comments: Doing my best to hold in sqeeing, I love this thing! The story is amazingly thought out, Blue Frodo's writing is mind-blowing, Kurt's characterization is great, and it actually turns Kurt's father Azazel from the Draco arc into one of my favorite villains ever! I'm not just talking fanfic villains, I'm talking villains period. Given that he is considered a prime example of Canon Discontinuity material at its finest, that is some seriously great characterization and writing going on there. Definitely read its sequel Until Death Do Us Part as well, along with Blue Frodo's other work.
by CreamCheeseAlchemist (Death Note Crossover
Generation X Presents: A Short (and somewhat inaccurate) History of the X-Men
- Recommended by Kirayoshi, seconded by Lady Nomad
- Synopsis: As the X-Men regroup after the events of "Operation: Zero Tolerance", Jubilee and the Generation X students provide a much-needed morale boost by re-enacting the history of the X-Men, "based on a true story, and adapted slightly to make it funnier."
- Comments: One of the funniest stories online. X-Men history meets the Reduced Shakespeare Company, with the Gen-X kids playing multiple roles. Nothing is sacred. Typical scene:
"We begin with a man..."
The curtains opened. Synch stood in the middle of the stage, wearing a suit.
"He was a man with a dream," Jubilee continued.
"I have a dream," said Synch in a broad Southern accent. "A dream that one day, on the red hills of Georgia.."
"Uh Ev? Wrong dream."
"The Second Sister
" by The Red Pen Of Doom 87
- Recommended by Pirate King
- "Synopsis": Tells the story of Emma Frost after the clash at Three Mile Island.
- "Comments": Has a very strong opening chapter, and the scene where Emma sees her sister's body in the morgue is genuinely sad. Also, the use of dates placing the events around the Three Mile Island leak is well placed. Emma's struggles are well written
" by Connie Hirsch
"Go West" and "Brothers in Arms"
- Recommended by Fuzzy Boots
- "Synopsis": Jessica Pierce, fireproof mutant, winds up at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters around the time of the "Fall Of The Mutants" storyline.
- "Comments": One of the old classics in X-Men fanfiction. The main character could be characterized as an early example of a well done Mary Sue character in that she has hidden telekinetic powers and is later revealed to be Magneto's daughter and after the events of the story, Loki's wife. Still an excellent read after all of these years (it came out in 1992!).
by Jeremy Bottroff
Original X-Men: Love Is Just Another 4-Letter Word
- Recommended by Fuzzy Boots
- "Synopsis": Cypher rises from his grave irreversibly merged with Warlock. Circumstances result in him gaining a psychic link to Mirage, Wolfsbane, and Rictor and he decides to move to California in an attempt to escape the daily insanity of the X-Men. In the sequel, they find that Cable isn't willing to let them off so easily...
- "Comments": "Go West" is an excellent, albeit unfortunately unfinished, piece of fanfiction detailing a group of mutants choosing a different path. It features cameos from all across the X-Men spectrum as the characters grow and mature outside of the environment of having to fight for their lives. The sequel is set some time later and features multiple characters from X-Factor and the Hellions.
by Kerrie Smith
I Hear The Rotors Still
- Recommended by Users/Lady Nomad
- "Synopsis": Way back when there were only the five original X-Men, there was the very first Valentine's Day. There are four super powered teenage boys and only one girl. What could happen.
- "Comments": This story is hilarious. It is very funny and it doesn't have any of that angst. Everyone is in character and still filled with teenage hyjinks. It does have a Clothing Optional Den of Love. Yes, it is suitable for all ages.
by Blinky the Tree Frog
- Recommended by GG Crono
- Synopsis: Movieverse. One night, the Xavier Institute receives a strange visitor who has a warning for the X-Men.
- Comments: Anything more I could say about this would spoil the twist. A good, short read. A most unlikely crossover, and yet it makes a great deal of sense.
- Recommended by darkgloomie
- Synopsis: (Logan) had to admit it. He had a bad habit of taking in strays.
- Comments: an AU fic which starts with Logan fleeing from a lab and taking a young Gambit with him. From there, Logan finds himself put in the unlikely position of father figure to a bunch of seriously screwed up mutant teenagers (in order: Remy, Rogue, Kitty, Piotr and Sarah, with, as of writing, Storm possibly joining in as Team Mom). The story is good at dealing with angst but not losing itself in it, adding in quirky scenes and funny dialogues to spice it up and... I'm feeling awkward at trying to explain it, but it's really heartwarming and definitely worth a read (despite, by the looks of it, being far from over)
- Story removed and the author's account is purged
, by Rioghnachs Reign
- Recommended by IamNoOne
- Synopsis: While this X-Men Evolution starts off as a story about Logan and Rogue training to control her new power, it evolves by the fifth chapter into something much more. Continuing almost directly from the end of the series, with more plots a characters than one story could normally handle.
- Comments: It's probably one of the best stories this Troper has ever read, the fact it has something for anyone and has better story telling than some of the guys at MARVEL. It's got professional Quality and doesn't stretch the imagination too far. Fans of both the comics and the show will love this.
, by nyssa123
- Recommended by EctoplasmCookie
- Synopsis: Alternate Universe for X-Men: First Class- After Cuba, Erik decides not to leave. It's all different, now- as Charles adjusts to life in a wheelchair, Erik has to atone for what he's done.
- Comments: One of the first real multi-chapter fics written for X-Men: First Class, this story takes the common AU of "What if Erik didn't become Magneto" and treats it realistically. It manages to balance angst with happier content, and all in all is a very good treatment of an often trite plot. You may cry, but it'll be in a good way.
, by Adrian Tullberg
The Adventures of Kitty Pryde
- Recommended by Dont Kill Bugs
- Synopsis: A revision of Mystique's depowering scene from X3 that removes Magneto's callousness.
- Comments: This is far more believable than the infamous scene from X3. Rather than just abandon Mystique, Magneto shows his own brand of mercy. Strangely touching, as well as removing a foul taste from the mouth.
Sons of the Wilderness: 1849
- Recommended by Kirayoshi, LentilSandEater
- Synopsis: Set during Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men: Kitty is now a teacher at the Xavier Institute and is trying to work things out with Piotr Rasputin. But a mysterious alien woman has befriended her. The malevolent gamester Arcade has returned—to propose marriage? And a years-old mystery regarding some missing days in her life has reared its ugly head. Old threats, new allies, old loves, new enemies. All in a day's work for Kitty Pryde.
- Comments: Melodyrider's story works perfectly as an ongoing comic book series starring Kitty Pryde, that fits seamlessly, not only with the continuity of the X-titles, but with the larger Marvel Universe as well(references to M-Day and Civil War figure prominently in the narrative). The story is written with verve and humor, and is by turns thoughtful, scary and action-packed, with more twists than a Rubik's Cube factory. Guest apperances include Pete Wisdom, X-Factor, Stevie Hunter and Kang the Conquerer. Yes, that Kang. And he's not even the Big Bad! The series is currently in hiatus. Hopefully Melodyrider will return to it.
All Along the Watchtower
- Recommended by Lavender Aura
- Synopsis: Movieverse/Origins Comics. This fic and its in progress sequal/prequal ceaselessly blends together the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie and the Wolverine: Origins comics. Victor Creed and James Howlett are brothers in hiding, living in a mining community. James adjusts well and is liked, while Victor is disliked and slightly resentful of his brother. It sparks a fight leading to the inevitable Wolverine/Sabretooth feud. The prequal focuses on a young Victor Creed's growing friendship with the sickly James Howlett and the affair between Victor's father and James's mother.
- Comments: It's brilliant. My synopsis and comments simply don't do it justice. The pieces can be read in either order. They're heart-warming and sad in equal measure. It's a good read that puts much more depth than the movie did, and it does blend well with comic influences.
- Recommended by Lomelinde
- Synopsis: This fic expands on Erik's and Charles' pasts and focuses on their relationship and how they change each other. Mostly set during and just after First Class, though it diverges a bit.
- Comments: Starts out pretty good and becomes amazing (starting with Chapter 8, in my opinion). The author does and shows his/her research, in varying fields, which grounds the story beautifully in a very human way. Being able to use the framework of the movie means that there is more focus on characterization, and this is done very well. It makes you see scenes from the movie in a new light, but not in a way that is jarring or hard to believe.
" by MarvelMaster616
Wolverine Rebirth: Origins
- Recommended by scifigeek
- Synopsis: A reboot of X-Men, based off of the Ultimate concept.
- Comments: Aside from some spelling errors, this series is extremely well written, with a plot that starts off as the basic X-Men vs Magneto struggle, but progresses to much higher levels quickly, and characterization that can only come from a dedicated fan. Currently in its third volume and still going strong, with bi-weekly updates.
" by MarvelHero1610
- Recommended by Lykaios The Spartan
- Synopsis: A retelling/retooling of Wolverine's origin to fit the Marvel universe the author works out of.
- Comments: The story is very, very good. The character of Wolverine as well as his tragedies and relationships are examined and the Sibling Rivalry is rather intense. The only drawback is some repetitious wording as well as the update inconsistencies.
" by rageprufrock
- Recommended by Eveandriss
- Summary: When Alex Summers broke out of supermax to rescue his stupid kid brother, he had no idea it was going to be so fucking complicated.
- Comments: A First Class AU in which powers, people, and personalities are kept intact. Especially personalities. Shaw is still the bad guy being hunted, he's still up to his dastardly plots, and this is an absolutely wonderful fic. There are both obvious and subtle parallels to the movie, but the author injects her own style in order to create something absolutely original.
"A Deeper Season
" by etirabys
- Recommended by Eveandriss
- Summary: Charles Xavier- rich, introverted, and academic- begins his senior year of high school in 1962. Erik Lehnsherr, despite his own efforts, is the first person to properly reach out to him. Both are astonished to find a human being on the other side.
- Comments: A First Class AU. Extremely deep character development for both characters (note the subtle, subtle transitions from surnames to first names), fantastic portrayal of the harder parts of the sixties (including laws against sodomy), avoidance of cliches usually found in teacher/student scenarios. Emphasis on character development, just because.
The Meaning of Pain
- Crossover with The Avengers
- Recommended by feral
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairings: Tony/Bruce, Steve/Thor, Natasha/Pepper
- Synopsis: The Avengers struggle to get along as a new enemy approaches, an enemy Tony is dangerously vulnerable to. Saving the world was the easy part; saving each other is much harder.
- Tags: Continuation Fic, Slash Fic, drama, angst, Crossover, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Evolution
The Mutant Wars
- Set in X-Men universe but has elements of the 616-Marvel Universe
- Recommended by Dark Dranzer
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairings: It has listed Logan/Remy but it's more father/son or big brother/little brother relationship
- Synopsis: He got away from them and spent the next 15 years trying to figure out who and what he was . . . an animal, the Wolverine, or the human named Logan. This is his story. Covers both post-X3 and Pre-X1 time. Pointedly ignores XMO:WV. Features Gambit, Department H, and much, much, *much* more.
- Tags: Angst, Action, Drama, Crossover with Marvel Universe
- Comments: This is the Wolverine story I have been waiting for in a long time, I eventually grew sick of Marvel’s character derailment of the first anti/superhero I loved. This shows how much Weapon X screwed him up on a psychological level, how everything flows seamlessly including the small references for comic book fans and how every character mentioned in this story have their chance to shine. Marvel take notes, this is how Wolverine is supposed to be, a tortured badass conflicted with the nature of man and animal
series by Scorpio71
- Recommended by Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: The Mutant Wars 1 - It all started in the People's Republic of China. (from FF.net)
- Comments: This is a series of one-shots following various characters. Basically, the mutant war erupts in China, sending shockwaves across the world. Some countries open their doors to mutant refugees. The United States declares war on mutantkind. The X-Men and affiliates are scattered, and that's where these fics come in. Each oneshot takes place at a different point in the conflict. Excellent example of writing without giving us all the details, while still creating a larger picture.
• Recommended by The Fuzzinator
- Synopsis: Logan's not the only one to go back in time. Kitty, Rogue, Storm, and Blink have all been hurled into the past as well, and will wreak their own havoc on the timeline — whether they want to or not.
- Status: Ongoing.
- Pairings: Logan/Rogue, Kitty Pryde/Young Magneto
- Comments: What you get when you cross a humorous Crack Fic with a horror story. It starts deviating from the film’s plot by chapter three, thanks to the (inadvertent) interference of the ladies. It’s alternately hilarious and horrifying, with heaps of Character Development, and has a slow-building case of maybe the Crackiest Crack Pairing that ever Cracked: Kitty Pryde/young Magneto. (The really scary thing is that the author actually makes it work.) 39 chapters and counting.