Proof that the remaining 10% is worth reading 35 minutes ago
These are recommendations made by Tropers
fanfics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Author of the Zombie AU listed below and its many spinoffs. Her page also lists a huge selection of fics from the Zombie AU, canon, and various other AUs
(inspired by the Kink Meme
). Etherati's favorite pairing is obviously Rorschach/Nite Owl but not all her fics focus on shipping. There's some cutesy fics, some depressing ones, and some humorous ones. Warning: lots of "adult content", which are marked, fortunately.
open/close all folders
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Look Upon My Works, Ye Mighty
- Recommended by USA Bobcat
- Synopsis: (Author's description from the Pit) "2004. Veidt's perfect world has begun to crumble, a need for heroes prompts a new generation of costumed adventurers, and suddenly, Rorschach realizes he isn't quite dead. Hurm. AU."
- Comments: Rorschach isn't dead, but sent into 2004, where Veidt's changes have effected everything. A full view of how the Watchmen world has changed with Adrian Veidt's plan. The part about the next generation of Masks is very good, and Rorschach is wonderfully in character with no shipping in sight. Especially loved the later parts where Rorschach starts training the next generation of Masks.
by DarkMark (Book-verse)
- Recommended by gaijinguy, seconded by LadyNomad
- Synopsis: Postscript fic to the book (posted in '99, so no hint of the movie) that takes the form of Ozymandias's journal.
- Comments: Yow. This fic details the fallout of Veidt's great achievement, and the increasing toll it's taking on his sanity. Keeps the original tone very well, and explores the consequences of the canonical cliffhanger ending.
- Recommended by Hekateras
- Synopsis: A series of one-shots on the relationship between Dan and Rorschach, from the time they meet to the events of the canon story.
- Comments: An excellent exploration of such a paradoxical friendship and partnership also detailing Rorschach's descent alongside Dan's growing disillusionment with the whole superhero situation. Very strong and faithful characterisation and character development. While the series is gen, one or two of the currently 40 drabbles are mildly slashy, always with warnings in the author's notes. But this is still very much a gen friendship story, and an excellent one at that.
- There's some sweet moments, but I think Nite Owl really gets shafted in favor of Rorschach. In some chapters he's not far from an incompetent boob and Rorschach seems like both the brains and muscle of the two. If you can overlook that, it's not a bad fic. Don't get any wrong ideas though, since it covers the Roche case and the canon story it gets pretty dark after a point. I personally felt that the later chapters are better written.
The Man That Got Away
- Recommended by Bulletproof Idea
- Synopsis: Captain Carnage is a masochist that gets off on superheroes beating the stuffing out of him. One day, he meets Nite-Owl and Rorschach. Hilarity ensues.
- Comments: ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS! Those of you with delicate bladders may not want to read this.
- recommended by zrose
- Synopsis: It's 1974, and a case has just gone badly wrong for the famous Nite Owl II and Rorschach team. No slash, one-shot, comic-based.
- Comments: This is a beautiful fic that not only combines jazz, drama, and some very touching moments, but also made me feel a little bit of the friendship of Nite-Owl and Rorschach.
Alternate Universe & Crossovers
Alan Moore is going to kill me...
Ties That Bind
by Khilari (His Dark Materials
- Recommended by Amp
- Synopsis: Rorschach and his daemon tell the others about the Comedian's death and his mask killer theory.
- Comments: Everyone is very much in character. The addition of daemon's only adds a new perspective on their thoughts. The portrayal of how post-Blair Rorschach deals with a daemon is chillingly realistic.
by Megan Phntm Grl
Only Outlaws Will Be Heroes
- Recommended by Skazka
- Synopsis: In which Adrian Veidt is a zombie.
- Comments: Connected to the above zombie AU, but works just fine as a standalone piece. Really really intensely creepy, and while it's subtle there's a bit of Body Horror in there as well related to the, well, zombification. You've been warned.
- recommended by melloncollie
- Synopsis: An AU in which Nite Owl and Silk Spectre II as well as Rorschach refuse retirement when the Keene Act is passed. The Comedian gives the government the finger and joins them soon after.
- Comments: A Dead Fic, unfortunately, but what's there is great. The POV character is Laurie, whom I think most authors either neglect or don't write very well, but this fic gets into her character in a way that makes sense and isn't bland. Also good is seeing the majority of the main Watchmen cast work together as a team, which we didn't see much of in the original comic, and the interactions between Laurie and the Comedian are especially great.
Good Cop, Bad Cop
- Recommended by Singollo_Lomien
- Synopsis: Wherein what happened in Antarctica was more than it seemed, Rorschach makes some unpleasant discoveries, and Nightwing really doesn't need to be dealing with any of this right now.
- Recommended by WeirdKev27
- Synopsis: Rorschach's Journal. Wasn't killed by Dr. Manhattan. Brought to alternate reality world. Met a thing called Deadpool. Wishing Jon had killed me. Hell would be salvation. Can't get theme song out of head. How the HELL did I end up being the good cop?
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
I Should Be Extremely Happy In Your Company
by eugenetapdance (Movieverse)
Now, As Before
- Recommended by Megan Phntm Grl, Skazka
- Synopsis: A teenage Adrian Veidt is a hustler in the 1950s. Hooded Justice picks him up. Things develop from there.
- Comments: Prequel in the form of a Whole Episode Flashback; contains copious slash and some very tactfully handled Rape as Drama. [No, really. This fic is a sterling example of the <1% capable of using that trope effectively.] This story manages to take a premise that in the hands of nearly any other writer would be an excuse for mindless PWP and instead creates a beautiful exploration of the characters' motivations (particularly why Adrian turned out how he did), prejudices, and psychological and emotional tangles. It's set long before the canon events of Watchmen, and yet the writing style and the framework manage to blend it seamlessly into the reader's perception of canon afterward. Complete.
- Skazka: This troper second the above. Christ, I got shivers.
- The link is currently dead, unfortunately.
A Stupid Plan
- Recommended by 20thcenturyvole
- Synopsis: An AU set before the Keene Act is passed, this realistically and brilliantly explores the aftermath of an unforeseen global disaster in the Watchmen universe. Or, a little more bluntly: Watchmen Zombie Apocalypse. No, really!
- Comments: Etherati takes a really cracky concept and takes it to tonally-perfect, deconstructive heights that make you wish jealously that you'd thought of such a brilliant explanation for flesh-craving hordes of the undead. It's set in 1975, scant months before the Blaire Roche case that sent Rorschach over the edge - he's still semi-sane here - and goes AU from there. It's ostensibly Rorschach/Daniel, but only insofar as what counts as slashy for Rorschach constitutes basic human contact for anyone else; it's very restrained and mostly implied, is what I'm saying. The characterisation is great; it's a particular treat to watch Dan step up and grow bolder as the situation requires. And as I said before, I love the way the epidemic is handled.
- Madkatter: Seconded. Hard.
- Melloncollie: From the same AU is this little series of ficlets, each very short but rather good. "Conning 20" is very funny, and the third one is just whimsical.
- This story is so good, there are even A Us of the AU itself. And fanfics of the A Us of the AU. Seriously, it's THAT. GOOD.
- Recommended by jfkjfk
- Synopsis: Pre-Keene Rorschach calls Adrian's plan; Adrian responds by spanking him.
- Comments: NSFW
Playing a Poor Hand Well
- Recommended by Tropers/jfkjfk
- Synopsis: Rorschach, deprived of human physical contact, gets aroused from Nite Owl II treating his wounds; leads to a hand-job.
- Comments: Rather realistic characterization; is a good short one-shot and not work safe.
- Recommended by SBP
- Synopsis: Dan's a victim of fraud and loses everything. Rorschach puts him up at his place as they work together to solve the case.
- Comments: It's a dubious premise and one that made this troper roll her eyes at first. It's saved by brilliant execution: the story weaves a gen plotline in with some serious will-they-won't-they sexual tension that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. The writing is tight and evocative with a healthy dose of dry humour and the characterisation is excellent, both Daniel and Rorschach leap off the page. It's not all slash and heroics though. Dan's priviledge and Rorschach's issues all come into play.
Breath and Skin
- Recommended by Tami Tam
- Synopsis: A AU where both Dan and Rorschach are killed by Doctor Manhattan. It deals with the possibility that Veidt could become President of the U.S.A. And its Veidt/Laurie. Yes it is.
/Homecoming, OR Adapt & Overcome
- Recommended by Purple Panther Girl
- Synopsis: Walter/OC. Walter (yes, Walter, not Rorschach) meets a nurse and slowly befriends her. Has spawned several sequels, all just as good as the first.
- Comments: What could be any cliche Mary Sue story has turned into a whole series of beautifully written, very intelligent and heartwarming stories. Is a little on the soppy side, but so worth it. Especially the sequel where Rorschach and the OFC, and Dan and Laurie have babies and stuff. Really captures the spirit of the comic.
- Tentatively seconded by Thinks Too Much (have not finished yet, but enjoyed it so far). Incidentally, Chloe (the nurse) is no young Hospital Hottie; she's a strained middle-aged worker at an overworked clinic.
- The first fic is very good, and fits well with the movie. The later stories, however, go all the way to fluff. It is good fluff, however, and Adrian's fate is very well done.
" Partners by hmsbeta
As Clear As Night
- recommended by zrose
- "Synopsis" AU: What happens when Rorschach teams up with Laurie instead of Dan? Spanning several years, pre-Crimebusters to 1969. Eventual Silk Spectre II/Rorschach romance. Rated for language, brief descriptions of violence and sensuality.
- "Comments" This fic is rated M for the later chapters (there is sex, and some violence). Mostly, I recommended this fic because even though I was initially skeptical of the pairing, I found the story very sweet and believable, even if the ending did seem a bit tacked on. This is the only fic I've seen successfully use this pairing, and it is one of may favorites, though it is quite long running at 66 chapters.
by Lady Bootstrap
Sugar owls for the Night
- Recommended by Lightshade
- Synopsis: Nite Owl can't help but notice (and completely misinterpret) his crime-fighting partner's erratic behavior.
- Comments: The most realistic Nite Owl/Rorschach fic I've ever seen done in terms of characterization. Both are written so well it seemed like I was reading a deleted scene from Alan Moore's notes. It fits in seamlessly with the actual canon and provides more insight into what it actually was that strained their relationship.
- Recommended by melloncollie
- Synopsis: A parody of Nite Owl/Rorschach slash fics.
- Comments: Funny as hell, without being meanspirited.
and the rest
- Recommended by jfkjfk
- Synopsis: Goes from crack to NSFW: Jon makes Rorschach female after perpetual fighting between him and Laurie; Rorschach reacts by completely adhering to his concept of an ideal, non-whore woman. Daniel is infuriated by the stubbornness of both parties.
- Comments: What makes this so entertaining at the beginning is (1) Daniel's commentary, as he is the only one who is totally aware of the awkwardness and stupidity of the situation, and (2) the aforementioned awkwardness of Rorschach attempting to be feminine, who is completely out of place in his new body, i.e: " She held out a fork too, straight down like she was about to drive it into the table, and he quickly took it from her."
The obvious theme is the deconstruction of gender stereotypes. Obvious non-con.
Saturday Morning Watchmen
by Harry Partridge
- Recommended by Maridee
- Synopsis: Watchmen is a Saturday morning kid's cartoon. It's this horrible, fantastic mix of Narm and "No, you did not just go there."
- Seconded by boomslangvenom. Warning: many comments for the video are along the lines of "so THIS is what Alan Moore's nightmares look like..."
- Thirded by Revelo: It's a mixture of utter hilarity and being very terrifying all at once, the shout outs to the book and other cartoons make it worth watching.