Fanfic Recs: Fallout: Equestria
Yes, fanfiction of a fanfiction. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nopony would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. The full list can be found here on Equestria Daily.
Cold North by dragonshardz
Cold North by dragonshardz
- Recommended by Thebes
- Synopsis: What happens when Enclave ponies have non-pegasus children? They become Fallen.
- Comments: The first chapter was solid. Well-written with good world-building. The influence thingie looks interesting, and I like your original perks, taking the influence mechanic into account. — Thebes
- Recommended by Thebes, Ack Sed, Spirit, D Carrier
- Synopsis: Forced into the life of a security mare, Blackjack is far more interested in eking out what fun she can in the dim halls of Stable 99. All that changes as she becomes enveloped in a plot that not only endangers her stable but the remaining world as well.
- Comments: Project Horizon has my favorite experimental Stable. Nice Logan's Run/Soylent Green shit going on. Solid writing, also. I like the character interaction. Blackjack's a fun head to ride in. — Thebes
- Seconded so hard. I cannot overstate how emotional and hard-hitting this fic is. As opposed to LittlePip's group, Blackjack's merry crew is sitting squarely in the middle of dysfunction junction, generating a whole different kind of atmosphere as Blackjack tries her hardest to be a force of good despite all evidence to the contrary.
- Thirded. It's a lot more personal in scope than its source. Later chapters further develop Blackjack into a cracked, none-too-smart heroine who's held together with whiskey, drugs and, eventually, a sense of the absurdity of their situation that brings Crichton to mind. She suffers, hard, but laughs at herself as well, restoring some of the Black Comedy Fallout is known for.
- Recommended by Ack Sed, Poptard, Spirit, Snipehamster, and Nitrogenglycerin
- Synopsis: One day, there was this nice little foal called Puppysmiles who lived in Canterlot. She was given this cool radiation suit to keep her safe. Then a lot of things happened all at once and she went to sleep. When she woke up, Canterlot looked all different and her mom was gone. Undeterred, Puppysmiles set off, certain that she would find her with the help of Mister Voice.
- Review here
- Recommended by Crazyjabberwock
- Synopsis: Having lost much of her past, memories and purpose in life, Aurora Borealis stumbles upon the junkyard and its sole inhabitant Scraps. Having regained her name and desiring to find her past and place in the world, she begins to walk the paths of discovery. But what she finds and what impact she has may be more than she ever expected.
- Recommended by Thebes, Spirit
- Synopsis: Inspired by the heroics of the mysterious mare known as the Stable Dweller, Silver Storm, a guard of the town of Marefort, decides to go on a daring mission to rescue her captured brother. Of course things rarely go as planned and her attempts at heroism drags her into a tangled web of plots and conspiracies as warring factions vie for control over the last great city: Dise.
- I can vouch for this, the story begins immediately with tragedy which sets the mood for most of the ride. It draws a lot of influence from Fallout New Vegas but is different enough that it feels very fresh and since the main character is an Idiot Hero taken up to eleven most of the time, you really don't see what's coming next. Only complaint I have is that the author did not seem to do the research on just how much bullets hurt and gives the impression that the protagonist is made of iron (though this IS partly true). —- Mochachocakon
- Recommended by Unknownlight, Snipehamster, Ack Sed
- Synopsis: To become a slave is bad. To be born a slave is forever damaging. For young Murky, the life of the labourer and servant is all he has ever known, raised without knowledge of freedom or the concept of choice. But when the heroic escape of a certain little mare takes place before his eyes, Murky finally discovers a life worth fighting for. His own. But when your cutie mark is a set of shackles...are you really supposed to be free at all?
- Strongly recommended. The writing quality is fantastic, and the complex yet tightly cohesive character-driven narrative is clearly the product of a devoted writer. MN7 also contains several very strong moments of both emotion and humor. The bleak setting and gargantuan chapters may be intimidating to some, however. — Snipehamster.
- This fic gets under your skin; I found myself plotting elaborate revenge scenarios on behalf of a fictional pony. Recommended — Ack Sed
- Recommended by SPITFIRE 404
- Synopsis: They say that every cloud has a silver lining. And in Cobalt Blue's mind, that silver lining is all that matters...even when the cloud is the Horseshoe Wasteland.
- Recommended by Lightice
- Synopsis: Seventeen years after the end of Littlepip's story the NCR is beset by both external and internal crises. In hopes of bringining unity to the Republic, the Followers of the Apocalypse send an unofficial envoy to the Zebra Lands, to bring peaceful foreign relations to the table and mend the wounds of the war once and for all.
- This fic is to this date the best possible candidate for a true sequel to the original story. It massively expands Kkat's world and elaborates the roots of the war while giving the zebra their own perspective to the events. It features Loads and Loads of Characters and a massive number of intertwining plot threads, and offers a truly inspiring perspective to the different philosophies for making the world a better place, and how they can come to conflict in spite of very similar goals.