Tokyo Little Shop
is basically an Anime continuation of Little Shop of Horrors
created by TV Tropes's own Cabbit Girl Emi
The fanfic takes place in present day Tokyo and focuses on 15 year old Kazama Shohei, who has recently worked part time at the local flower shop with his closest friend and crush, Momokawa Hikari.
One day, an enormous asteroid heads towards Earth, but thankfully, it burns up in the atmosphere and the shards shower down on Tokyo, one of them fusing with a butterwort/Venus flytrap hybrid, which Shohei later buys and dubs "Hikari II". Soon enough, Shohei learns that Hikari II feeds on his Life Energy
, but it leaves him tired, so the plant adapts to eating bugs and meat.
All 13 chapters can be found here
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abandoned Warehouse: The Sharks use one as their hideout.
- Apathetic Teacher: Mrs. Tomizawa, although she does show concern for Shohei when he passes out in the hallway.
- Asleep in Class: Shohei in chapter 2, after he discovers that Hikari II feeds on Life Energy.
- At Arm's Length: Orin does this to Daisuke in chapter 10.
- Balloon Belly: Shohei in chapter 4 after eating 2 orders of food at Burger World.
- Beach Episode: Occurs halfway through chapter 9.
- Beta Couple: A subtle example in Daisuke and Natsumi.
- Big Fancy House: Hikari lives there.
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: Makoto, Daisuke, and Shohei respectively.
- Black Comedy Burst: Given the source material...
- Burger Fool: Chapter 4. Hikari hasn't shown up at the flower shop for 3 days because she wanted to be paid more, so she got a job at Burger World. Shohei finds out when he sneaks out from sweeping outside the flower shop to get a bite to eat, and next thing he knows, he becomes the new fry cook. But their boss Mr. Sonoda finds out soon enough, and the Sharks wreak havoc at the restaurant, leading to Shohei's firing and with him and Hikari returning to their part-time job at the flower shop.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Starts off in the vain of a funny Slice of Life anime, but with a talking Venus flytrap. But near the end, things go From Bad to Worse.
- Cherry Blossoms: Chapter 8.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Shohei and Hikari, mutually.
- Crapsaccharine World: Tokyo is depicted as this, mostly the "saccharine" part.
- Cross-Popping Veins
- Depraved Dentist: Dr. Haru, and not too long after, Orin.
- Elsewhere Fic
- Expy: Most of the characters are based off of the ones from both versions of Little Shop of Horrors.
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: Natsumi does this to Shohei in chapter 10 after he breaks down when the Sharks make the flower shop all dirty with their sludge bomb. Shortly after, Hikari kisses Shohei on the lips, which gets him to snap out of his despair.
- Go Through Me: Hikari in chapter 5, and it was AWESOME.
- Growling Gut: The rumbling of Shohei's stomach was enough to convince Hikari to let him order lunch in exchange for keeping the fact she's working at Burger World a secret in the 4th chapter.
- Happily Married: Shohei's parents.
- Hatsuyume: Chapter 6. Overlaps with Fever Dream Episode.
- Heat Wave: Occurs in chapter 9, which is aptly titled, "The Hot Summer Day".
- Hidden Eyes
- High School A.U.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager
- The Inspector Is Coming: In chapter 10, Shohei and Hikari have to tend to the shop so that two European critics will feature it in a magazine.
- Intoxication Ensues: In chapter 9, Hikari II mistakenly drinks Mr. Sonoda's supply of sake, thinking it was water. It makes the plant have Alcohol Hics, and it also orders pizza over the phone.
- Life Energy
- Love Potion: In the Valentine's Day chapter. Shohei, feeling that Hikari no longer has feelings for him, buys one from Mr. Chang (the guy that sold Hikari II to him in chapter 1), and uses it to spray Hikari, but since the nozzle was facing the wrong way, he sprays himself instead and falls for Sango!
- Luminescent Blush
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Haru retires from being a dentist to become a surgeon after hearing Shohei's cry of pain again after a long time.
- Magic Meteor: Or rather, asteroid. It harbored Hikari II.
- Make a Wish: Shohei wishes on a star in chapter 1, but the star turns out to be the asteroid that may or may not destroy Earth that harbors Hikari II.
- Meadow Run: During an Imagine Spot in chapter 8.
- Mythology Gag: Two minor characters from both Little Shop of Horrors and the original Roger Corman movie appear in the fanfic.
- Hikari's birthday is February 22nd, while Shohei's is April 18th, which are the respective birthdays of Audrey and Seymour's actors Ellen Greene and Rick Moranis.
- Oblivious to Love: Averted. After Shohei and Hikari spent nearly their entire lives as best friends, she realizes how much he loves her and returns the favor.
- Official Couple: Shohei and Hikari.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Shohei often wears a light-blue shirt with a yellow stripe across the waist part, while Hikari usually wears pink Sailor Fuku.
- Plant Aliens: Averted. Hikari II is a life-form born on an asteroid that fused with its plant host.
- The Power of Love: Throughout the fanfic, but especially evident in the final 3 chapters. It's even strong enough to help you burst out of your giant plant's stomach and defeat it after your girlfriend weakens it with the Deus ex Machina in the form of the ring you gave her that you got from a strange trio of women.
- Race Lift: Almost everybody is Japanese in the fanfic.
- Recursive Canon: In chapter 9, when Shohei offers to refresh a drunk Hikari II with some life energy, the plant, in a drunken stupor, says it wants to eat blood, making Shohei to break the fourth wall and ponder what he just said. Justified later on in the below trope.
- Reincarnation Romance: Shohei and Hikari were reborn from Seymour and Audrey after they died in 1962 from being eaten by Audrey II.
- Sempai/Kohai: Orin is the Sempai to the other Sharks.
- Slice of Life
- Smooch of Victory: Hikari gives one to Shohei after Hikari II intimidates The Sharks.
- The Rose Goddess kisses Shohei on the forehead in his fever dream as a reward for having The Sharks (as the Momotaro gang) sacrificed to Mt. Fuji along with the eggplant.
- Stealth Sequel
- Sweat Drop
- Talking to Plants: Shohei often turns to Hikari II in troubled times. The plant can go between curious and sassy at times.
- The Tooth Hurts: In chapter 3, after Dr. Haru finishes examining Reiko, he tries to pluck out Shohei's wisdom tooth, which didn't cause him pain until he and Reiko escaped and stopped by Hikari's mansion.
- Those Two Guys: Daisuke and Makoto.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Hikari after getting struck by an airborne baseball.
- 12-Episode Anime: The fanfic follows this format, with a total of 13 chapters.
- Twice Shy: Shohei and Hikari.
- Wingding Eyes