The first dream a person has in the new year. The contents of the dream usually foretells the luck of the dreamer, and it is considered a sign of particularly good luck to dream of Mt. Fuji, a hawk and an eggplant (一富士、二鷹、三茄子; Ichi-Fuji, Ni-Taka, San-Nasubi).
- Mt. Fuji is "the highest/高 and biggest/大" mountain in Japan.
- Hawks surely "seize/掴み取る" what they want.
- Nasu (eggplant) is the same pronunciation with nasu (成す）which means "accomplish" in Japanese
There are also three lesser known signs which consist of a fan, tobacco and a Zatonote
(四扇、五煙草、六座頭; Yon-Sen, Go-Tabako, Roku-Zatō). These three can be interchanged with the first set.
- The foot of Mt. Fuji is spread widely and it's an image of suehirogari (spreading out like an open fan), the sign of good future. The 4th "fan" has the same meaning.
- Hawks fly up and up in the sky. The 5 the "smoke of a tobacco" also go up high in the air.
- Eggplant doesn't have any hair ("Ke ga nai" in Japanese.) "Ke ga nai" is the same pronunciation with "Keganai" which means "no injury". The 6th "zato" shaved their hair, then they're also "Ke ga nai (no hair)"
Note: this is the dream you have on New Year's Eve night. If you don't remember your hatsuyume
, then you don't have one.
Anime and Manga
Live Action TV
- Azumanga Daioh dedicates a entire episode to the different dreams of Osaka, Tomo, Sakaki and Kaorin, though only Sakaki dreams of the aforementioned hawk, eggplant and Mt. Fuji, which are all delivered by Osaka.
- The first episode of Haruhi-chan portrays the events of Kyon's dream, with Koizumi wearing a Mt. Fuji costume (which turns out to be just a random mountain), Tsuruya in a crane costume (who then claims to have the heart of a hawk) and Yuki as a eggplant cellphone strap. It's that kind of show. The manga has a second one where Kyon's Sister becomes a cow.
- In ×××HOLiC, Watanuki's Hatsuyume-induced good mood quickly evaporates when, once again, he becomes the Butt Monkey of Yuko.
- Lucky Star has Miyuki point out that the list follows on with a fan, tobacco, and a blind man. Konata wonders who dreams about these sorts of things anyway, what sort of dream will include all these elements, and how many people remember what they dream about that clearly.
- In Digimon Adventure, one of the mini-dramas was called "Nusumareta Hatsuyume," or "Stolen New Year's Dreams." From a not-really fluent listen-through of it, basically, some Digimon eats everyone in Tokyo's first dreams of the New Year and Takeru and Yamato somehow defeat the digimon after a heck of a lot of bizarre sound effects.
- An episode of Saber Marionette J has Hanagata finding proof everywhere that he should propose to Otaru. This leads to having a dream about Mt. Fuji, a hawk, an eggplant...and Otaru.
- In Cardcaptor Sakura, Sakura Kinomoto transforms The Dream Clow Card into a Sakura Card during her hatsuyume. She also has a vision of Eriol and his guardians while at it.
- The Hatoful Boyfriend manga has Okosan's dream be of finding his religious fixation.
- Episode 4 of Kill la Kill has Mako mentioning that she wears pajamas with hawks, eggplants, and Mt. Fuji on them when Gamagoori mentions sleeping in the nude.
- Mentioned in chapter 13 of Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!. They also mention the less common 4th 5th and 6th items (Fan, Tobacco and a blind man).
- In Yumekui Merry, the Threepiece sisters, Engi and Patti, are designed around them. Most evident are the name of their swords Sanasubi and Rokuzato.
- Kamen Rider Kuuga episode 46 and a half is titled this. It's a clip show with rather ominous foreshadowing of the final episodes of the series.
- As an Easter Egg, some Harvest Moon games have several extremely bizarre dreams you can have if you go to bed late on the last day of the year. The Harvest Moon: DS ones are particularly fun, involving forced marriage to the mayor and one of the love interests being recast as an evil overlord.
- In LSD: Dream Emulator, the 365th dream in the game ends with a cutscene featuring Mt Fuji, a hawk, and an eggplant.
- Referenced in Parodius da!: the volcanoes in the Wutai stage shoot eggplants at you.