Fanfic: Strykes Random Elements
by Stryke is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Pinkie Pie finds herself most confused one day when a pony who looks strangely like Rarity but doesn't act one bit like her shows up in Ponyville. It quickly becomes apparent that "Rock" and other versions of the Mane Six have been brought into their world from one where Rainbow Dash's first Sonic Rainboom never happened and Nightmare Moon won.
Has a sequel, Random Elements: Coincidences can Happen
. The Other Six have been returned to their own universe and plan to use the Elements against Nightmare Moon... Were it so easy. Also complete.
Compare and contrast A Minor Variation
and A World Without Rainbows
This fanfic series contains examples of:
- Anything That Moves: Dear Celestia, Other Rainbow Dash...
- Bavarian Fire Drill: During Coincidences, when Ms Harshwhinny passes through accompanied by some guards, the protagonists make themselves inconspicuous by simply pretending that they're there for a good reason and certainly doesn't need to be bothered; Pinkamena starts discussing tax code, Trixie and Sparks takes the opportunity to make out with each other, and Captain Fluttershy just acts like herself.
- Brick Joke: In chapter 4 of Coincidences Other Cadance apologised to Sparks for not doing "the shake". They correct that mistake in the next chapter.
- The Comically Serious: Pinkamena is a bit...different from Pinkie Pie.
- Did Not Think This Through: Other Zecora admits that storming Canterlot with a horde of barely-controlled monsters was not a good plan.
- The Dog Bites Back: Other Cadance comes back for Other Nightmare Moon and is out for blood.
- The Dreaded: Other Fluttershy.
- Face-Heel Turn: Other Fluttershy in the backstory. She does the reverse later.
- Fandom Nod:
- A New Solar Republican gets mentioned in Chapter 9 of the original.
- Other Cadance had her wings actually implanted, reflecting some fandom beliefs that she wasn't really an alicorn, which were removed by Other Nightmare Moon. Except not really to the former.
- "She'd even been tempted last time to ask [Cloudchaser] how exactly she styled her amazing mane before deciding it would have really not projected the right note of leadership."
- Fantastic Racism: Rock practices a form of pony tribalism, referring to unicorns as "pinheads". Applejack is not amused.
- Flat "What.": Delivered by Rainbow Dash upon finding out that she got out-flown by an alternate version of Fluttershy.
- Sparks does one when Trixie tries to recruit her as a showmare for Other Trixie.
- For Want of a Nail: Discussed.
Appletini: “It’s nice to think that some single event is the key to the differences, but I’m really not so sure."
- Gambit Pileup: The disparate groups trying to depose Other Nightmare Moon who just happen to make their move at the same time as the Other Six include Chrysalis and the changelings, New Solar Republicans, Other Cadance and Other Zecora at the head of beasts.
- Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action: Discussed in chapter 2 of Coincidences.
"I'd always heard they were what happens when a dragon and a pony love each other very much," offered Sparks, with a light blush spreading across her cheeks.
Pinkamena's eyes goggled at that concept. "Oh no-no-no, surely the size difference alone—" Not wanting to complete that particular thought out loud she firmly placed a hoof in her mouth to shut herself up.
- Rainbow Dash confirms that it's possible. No guesses for how she's figured that out.
- I Hate Alternate-Universe Me Twilight really resents Sparks, because she is essentially a walking failure in her eyes. She's aware that Sparks doesn't deserve it, but just looking at Sparks makes her tap into dark magic and causing dark crystals to pile up.
- The Lad-ette: Rock.
- Loophole Abuse: Pinkamena is under oath to never go against Nightmare Moon, and she considers it binding. Except she's specifically made the oath to Princess Luna's name (as Nightmare Moon is using her former identity in some matters for legality). Obviously, using the Elements to free Luna from the Nightmare cannot be considered "going against her".
- Lovely Assistant: The Spectacular Sparks ends up as stage assistant to the Awesome and Stupendous Rainbow Dash, sparkly leotard and all. Trixie asks Twilight if she needs an assistant, too, although library assistants usually don't wear sparkly leotards.
- Me's a Crowd: Pinkamena can do this even without using the Mirror Pool. With the Pool, she can produce thousands of clones. Best distraction ever.
- Mythology Gag: Tonnes to canon, of course.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Appletini.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Rock may be a practical miner and hard worker, but a trip to the spa brings out the Rarity in her.
- Shipper on Deck: Trixie sets Sparks up with her Other self - in part because it will be good for Sparks to get out of the library, but also because Other Trixie deserves a better marefriend than a multichromatic diva who can't stay faithful. This works out very well.
- Shrinking Violet: Sparks.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Appletini.
"C'mon, I'm in so many secret societies I've almost lost count of them all. I know half a dozen secret martial arts handed down from lost civilisations, ancient mystics and other races like the griffons at various levels of skill not that I like to brag," she said, tipping her hat to the changeling. "That though was just something I learnt on a particularly fun Friday night out in Manehattan—"
- Villainous Breakdown: Other Nightmare Moon experiences one.
- Workaholic: Pinkamena, which given her Me's a Crowd powers, makes her a literal one-mare workforce.
- Wronski Feint: In Coincidences Other Fluttershy pulls this on Other Lightning Dust.