Fan Fic: A Minor Variation
A MLP:FiM alternate universe fanfic in which the events of Rainbow Dash's first sonic rainboom play out very differently. Without the Sonic Rainboom tying them together the Mane Six' destinies lead to some surprising differences. And some even more surprising similarities.Written by notMuphy; it can be found here. It recently completed, going from Nightmare Moon to the return and re-sealing of Discord. Word of God confirms a sequel is on the way, though.Compare and contrast Random Elements and A World Without Rainbows.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- The Atoner: Rainbow Dash still kicks herself for causing Fluttershy to fall, despite saving her imediately after. She also worries that her attempts to save ponies don't help enough.
- After redeeming Nightmare Moon, Rarity begins a campaign of apologising and atoning to every pony she ever slighted during her youth (and there were many). Goes a bit out of hand with a few of them who had already come to terms with it, disliked Rarity opening old wounds, and rather preferred not to get money and letters of recommendation from childhood bullies.
- Cooldown Hug: The Variant Six defeat Nightmare Moon by group-hugging the jealousy and corruption out of her. While the elements (the physical objects) may have activated to assist, none of them are fully aware of this happening. It's not until halfway through the celebrations back in Ponyville that Rainbow Dash even realizes she's wearing new jewelry.
- For Want of a Nail / In Spite of a Nail: The story zigzags between these two. The ponies lives are profoundly changed yet they still ultimately get drawn together anyway. Maybe because everypony everywhere has a special magical connection with her friends, maybe even before she's met them.
- Green Thumb: Twilight gained her cutiemark when a spell gone out of control (thanks to Fluttershy's Cloudboom) put her in direct rapport with every single plant in Sweet Apple Acres. Even after the event died down, she maintains a constant link with surrounding plantlife, expending half of her magic supply to do so (and she has a massive supply). Not only can she persuade plants to do anything from dropping their fruit to moving around for her, she managed to locate and send a message to Jackie halfway across Equestria simply by exploiting the link between plants until she found something within range of the target, and later grew apples allowing the consumer to teleport. (For reference's sake, a conventional location spell would take several lifetimes to cover the expected distance. Exploiting Equestria's plantlife took seconds.)
- Guile Heroine: Rarity is a less powerful Element of Magic than Twilight, but she excels at contingency plans and exploiting flaws. To the point of consciously holding herself back so she won't hurt others.
- Hive Mind: A multiversal one exists, consisting of every version of Pinkie Pie that was ever imagined. Dianne is connected to it after she sees the Rainbow created by the Elements Of Harmony, and fights a constant, potentially losing battle to stay as she is despite its attempts to make her more like Canon!Pinkie.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Teleporting apples. Can be used by anypony with a functional mouth, provides its own magical power, and can bypass most conventional wards.
- My Greatest Failure: Dash's reaction to Fluttershy almost falling to her death, even though in this timeline it was Dash who saved her.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Sending the CMC to deliberately provoke a disharmonious event near Discord to see if he was showing signs of breaking loose. Such a shame they got carried away.
- Shout-Out: Many.
Rarity: Discord, the Spirit of Disharmony? Good evening, my name is Rarity Bell. As a member of the country and world of Equestria, I ask you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the next convenient parallel dimension.
- Rarity's introduction to Discord.
- When Rarity mentions how Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon, Jackie wants he to clarify whether she was imprisoned IN the moon, or having adventures on the surface in the form of an adorable filly.
- One of Fluttershy's Omega Flight classmates is named Dorothy Gale, who ends up carried off by a tornado to a faraway land.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Fluttershy. Sweet and gentle, but fully determined to do anything it takes to get the job done and keep ponies safe. She never raises her voice more than she needs to be heard, but if she says Things Will Be Thus, that will happen. The closest she gets to actual anger is when she berates Photo Finish for trying to ruin the presentation of Rainbow Dash's new line of Wonderbolts uniforms, by focusing on Fluttershy's Moe potential rather than the subject matter.
- Staring Down Cthulhu: Rarity delivers a heartfelt What the Hell, Hero? to Celestia for essentially letting her own sister fade into history as a terrible monster while everypony forgot the real Luna. Thankfully Celestia takes it in stride and explains everything.
- Talking to Themself: Almost all of the six to some degree. Twilight's overactive mind tends to split off and go off on tangents, criticize herself, and even bicker out loud. According to Word of God, it's going to result in the creation of a whole new person altogether.
- Fluttershy gained her confidence in a moment of crisis when her other self essentially smacked her around until she did something instead of crying about being helpless. Rainbow Dash is so prone to zoning out and having long internal monologues that it freaks her friends out, and Rarity is no stranger to analyzing, second-guessing and criticizing her own actions.
- Villains Act, Heroes React: Subverted by Rarity, who believes that Nightmare Moon is only the first sealed-away evil from Equestria's shady history to break free. As such, she and her friends start cataloguing every myth and legend they can find (including Tirek, Discord and the Smooze) and evaluate them for relevance and threat level. However, sending the Cutie Mark Crusaders to inspect Discord was probably not a wise idea.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Rarity dismisses Tirek as a minimal threat due to him being apparently afraid of rainbows.
- When Trees Attack: Part of Twilight's plant-related arsenal. She can even control dead wood, and at one point restrains an Ursa Minor using the town hall.