Fanfic: Deus Ex Equine Revolution
She never asked for this.Deus Ex: Equine Revolution
is a Crossover
between Deus Ex: Human Revolution
and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
by Melon Hunter
The world is in flux; new ideals, groups and technologies permeate every level of society in this age of discovery. The field of augmentation has allowed ponies to improve themselves in ways that were unthinkable a generation ago. Yet, for every benefit, there is an inverse. A griffon civil war rages on the borders, feeding the profits of mercenary companies. Rising populations have forced the rich and poor ever further apart. Harmony is dying. Mortally wounded after a fatal attack on her laboratory, an earth pony researcher is augmented against her will and sent out into a chaotic world in search of answers. But as her quest unravels this chain of events, she discovers an ancient conspiracy that will shake Equestria to its very core.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Abdicate the Throne: At some point during the Time Skip, Twilight Sparkle renounced her status as princess in order to run her aug company.
- Artificial Limbs: Very common given the setting.
- All four of Bon Bon's legs, her eyes, and some internal organs.
- Twilight has an old-fashioned (magically animated) wooden foreleg.
- Trixie has a glass eye that she enchanted with a scrying spell after she rejected an aug eye.
- Badass Longcoat: Bon Bon, to cover up her Augs
- Continuity Nod: Several times to earlier events in Friendship is Magic. One of the more prominent examples so far is when Bon Bon and Twilight discuss the appearance of an enemy agent dressed as Mare Do Well. The events and moral of the episode are touched upon, and there's even a very classy and well-used reference to the episode's more controversial elements.
- Crapsaccharine World: Friendship may still be magic in Equestria, but after 20 years of unprecedented political change, a war with the griffons, rapid technological advancement, and a population explosion, it's not the Sugar Bowl that it used to be.
- Electronic Telepathy: Technically it's actual telepathy, but it still requires an implant to use.
- Expy: In the same fashion as Fallout: Equestria, here MLP characters loosely assume the role of Human Revolution characters.
- Bon Bon to Adam Jensen
- Lyra to Megan Reed
- Colgate to Francis Pritchard
- Twilight Sparkle to David Sarif
- Rarity to Athene Margoulis
- Applejack to William Taggart
- Luna to Hugh Darrow
- An unknown mare to Robert Page
- The Fellowship Has Ended: Possibly a subversion. Although it's initially suggested that the Mane Six have became distant during the 20-year Time Skip, chapter 9 reveals that their friendship seems to be much more intact than their public personas would suggest. Nevertheless, the augmentation debate has split them down the middle:
- On the pro-aug side:
- Twilight is running Sparkle Industries.
- Rarity is Twilight's secretary.
- Pinkie Pie works for Sugarcube Corner Co., which now specializes in nutritional supplements for augs.
- On the anti-aug side:
- Applejack is running a (peaceful) anti-aug organization called the Apple Corps. She has nothing but contempt for Black Dawn, an anti-aug extremist group.
- Rainbow Dash is the captain of the Wonderbolts, which is composed entirely of non-augmented pegasi. That being said, she's actually completely tolerant of augs outside of the team.
- Fluttershy is an anti-aug activist. She's also been the most distant member of the group, with Twilight (and possibly some of the others) not having seen her in years.
- Fusion Fic: We're still in Equestria, and everything that happened in Friendship is Magic (up to and including the end of season 3) is canon, but the setting has gained the trappings of Human Revolution, and follows a very similar (though not identical) story. As seen in the Expy example above, the characters from the show also parallel Human Revolution's characters.
- Great Offscreen War: A war with the griffon nation took place during the 20-year Time Skip, during which the augmentation movement began.
- Inciting Incident: Mirroring Human Revolution, the story is kicked off by an attack on Sparkle Industries' labs that leaves Bon Bon near death.
- Kayfabe: According to Rainbow Dash, the supposed rivalry between the Wonderbolts (who don't use augs) and the Shadowbolts (who do) is this trope.
- Magitek: Augs, powered by "neuromancy".
- Medieval Stasis: Said to have been the case before Luna's return.
- Nerves of Steel: Twilight Sparkle. Not even the assassination attempt that cost her a leg could break her composure. Bon Bon is understandably confused when a comparatively much less traumatic revelation gets a significant reaction out of her.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Bon Bon really wants to go on one of these against the people who killed Lyra. Problem is, she has no idea who they are or where to find them.
- Sunglasses at Night: A foal asks Bon Bon why she's wearing sunglasses indoors and early in the morning.
- String Theory: Bon Bon starts making one of these during her downtime between ops.
- Technical Pacifist: Bon Bon seems to be going for the "pacifist" achievement.
- Time Skip: The story takes place 20 years after Nightmare Moon's defeat and the return of Princess Luna.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Shockingly, Applebloom is apparently this. She joined the anti-aug extremist group, Black Dawn. Even Applejack has disowned her.
- We Can Rebuild Her: Just like Adam Jensen, Bon Bon is outfitted with all manner of augments after being nearly killed. Notably, those augments included a prototype unicorn horn aug, effectively changing her race. Even the narration refers to her as a unicorn and not an earth pony after that point.
- Whatever Mancy: Neuromancy, the stand-in for Neuropozyne and possibly a shout out to William Gibson.