Fanfic: Blood Is Thicker Than Bone
Blood Is Thicker Than Bone is a story found on Fanfiction.net written by Saiyan Warrior 200.
The gist of the story of this, The Uzumaki clan was related to the war like clan The Kaguya and Kushina had a sister who was married and gave birth to Kimimaro, thus making him and Naruto cousins. Naruto also obtains Shikotsumyaku, Dead Bone Pulse as well gaining the use of it when facing Mizuki. After learning it, Sarutobi sends for Kimimaro to come to Konoha and train him in the use of it as well as the two last of their clans meet one another. However, Kimimaro is loyal to Orochimaru and there's also that illness of his that he has that is weakening him each day.
The story can be found here
Tropes in Blood is Thicker Than Bone include:
- Abusive Parents: Kimimaro's father was shown to be this, often beating his son and berating him.
- It gets worse when it implies that he made Kimimaro kill someone when he was just fours old and was shown shoving eight year old Kimimaro into a cell and locking it.
- A Day in the Limelight: This gives Kimimaro a lot more development and focus.
- Affectionate Nickname: Kimimaro until Naruto actually improves and becomes a worthy ninja gives him a nickname. The nick name? Trash
- Arranged Marriage: Hiashi tries to do this and have Naruto be forced to marry one of the Hyuga females from the Branch Family and create a ninja with both Byakugan and Shikostumyaku. It doesn't work
- Ascended Extra: Raiga Kurosuki goes from a filler villain to one of Orochimaru's men.
- Haku and The Sound Trio also survive their canon fates.
- Badass Decay: The Kaguya were originally a powerful clan and force that were the backbone of Kirigakure's army. Once Kimura (Kimimaro's father) took control poisoning his own father the clan lost its strength with his methods.
- Berserk Button: Do not...I repeat DO NOT ever insult Naruto's mother in front of him. Mizuki found this out the hard way
- Bullying a Dragon: A group of bullies and Academy dropouts do this to Naruto after months of him training with Kimimaro. It goes as well as you can expect. Earlier some men hassle Kimimaro trying to make him pay in exchage for transportation. It also goes as well as you can expect but unlike Naruto above he kills them.
- Chekhov's Gun: Naruto is shown prior to the Chunin Exams to be buying a Bow and Arrow and oil and a lighter. This is what helps him destroy Kankuro's puppet
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Kimimaro and Naruto's first fight is stated to be this, Kimimaro having beaten him twice in thirty seconds and knocking him out.
- Dare To Be Bad Ass: Jiraiya gives this to Naruto after his fight with Orochimaru, telling him he wants Naruto to become even stronger than him, Sarutobi, and The Yondaime.
- Deadly Upgrade: Kimimaro activates The Cursed Seal Level 2 form to battle Shukaku, knowing full well he'll likely die if he does.
- Death Seeker: Zabuza is shown and implied to be this.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: This happens between Sarutobi and Jiraiya
- Enemy Mine: Kimimaro, Tayuya, and Anko are put on a team to one of Orochimaru's bases and while they don't like one another. They hate Orochimaru for what he did to them more.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: Kimimaro was deeply attached to his mother (Kushina's sister and Naruto's Aunt) who was the only person in the Kaguya clan who showed him kindness even when he was locked up she visited him often and forced him to flee at the Battle with Mist while the rest of the clan were killed off so that he would live.
- Kin Tsuchi is a Bad Girl who Loves her Mama.
- Easily Forgiven: Averted, Naruto has not forgiven Tayuya for what she did, working for Orochimaru and telling him where Kimimaro was at. During the Search for Tsunade he doesn't talk to her unless he has too and calls her out on what she did.
- For Want of a Nail: Since Kimimaro became ill, Orochimaru hires Raiga Kurosuki and his men as additional reinforcements. Since Haku survived and was forced to serve Raiga, and discovered what Orochimaru was planning. He was able to Get The Sound Trio out of there and stop them from being sacrificed Also, Tayuya is captured as well during the Invasion when Jiraiya intervenes and breaks the Jutsu surrounding Sarutobi
- Heel-Face Turn: Kimimaro during the attack
- Tayuya does this as well, not cause she felt what was happening was wrong, it was because she didn't take too kindly to being left behind when she was abandoned at Konoha.
- Incurable Cough of Death: Kimimaro showcases this at times, at times coughing roughly to hacking and coughing up blood as the story goes on. He is eventaully healed by Tsunade
- Mask Power: Orochimaru obtains a mask worn by the fabled Samurai Tadakatsu Honda which not only prevents harm from befalling you but can restore any damaged wounds such as the loss of limbs.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": The reaction when Orochimaru regains his arms
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When Kimimaro manages to get past and nick Gaara just enough to leave a cut of blood, that's when Gaara unleashes Shukaku.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Being abandoned and ditched by the others leads to Tayuya joining Konoha in exchange for giving information about Orochimaru's plans and bases.
- Moral Event Horizon: Orochimaru crosses this when he finds out that Kimimaro has been going to Konoha, beating him and forcefully activating his cursed seal and making him go to the second state while Kimimaro screams in agonizing pain and Orochimaru tells him he will kill Naruto.
- Mythology Gag: For those who know their history, Tadakatsu Honda fought in over a hundred battles and emerged unharmed from each one. Here it is revealed he wore a special mask that prevented him from being harmed.
- Not So Different: Tsunade puts Anko, Kimimaro, and Tayuya together despite them wanting to kill each other at first due to them all having been manipulated and used by Orochimaru.
- One-Man Army: Kimimaro before his sickness weakens him considerably was shown to be this, effortlessly taking out an army of Gato's thugs without breaking a sweat.
- Reality Ensues: Naruto fights against Orochimaru and winds up being beaten badly by him and with a broken wrist and coming close to dying. Even though he's got one of the rarest and most powerful Kekkai Genkai and The Kyuubi. He's still just a rookie genin who's only been training a year against one of the strongest and most dangerous ninjas who ever existed.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Haku and the Sound Trio the night before the Attack
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Naruto does this to Neji during their fight.
- Stoic Woobie: Kimimaro's life sucks, he was often beaten by his father for not living up to his expectations, and once he had surpassed him was locked up by him. Wondered the land for months with no clue what to do until Orochimaru discovered him, then its revealed that his illness is slowly killing him and decides to teach Naruto Shikotsumyaku so it can continue. But despite it, he never shows much emotion or concern about what has happened in his life.
- Super Drowning Skills: A setback of Shikotsumyaku, due to the bone density and their bodies being heavier, they have trouble swimming and when Naruto is knocked into water he almost drowns.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Naruto delivers a harsh one to The Clan Heads and Council members such as Danzo calling them out on their Kekkai Genkai and special abilities that have gained them power and prestige when they criticize him for having hidden his own.
- He also delivers one to Sasuke calling him out over already getting the best training after Sasuke tells him he wants Kimimaro to train him as well after finding out how much Naruto has improved.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: This happens to Naruto shortly after he reveals Shikotsumyaku to the others, becoming colder and uncaring afterwards. It isn't until Kakashi talks to him and he trains under both Jiraiya and Kimimaro that he gets better and returns to his usual self.
- Tranquil Fury: When Orochimaru finds out what Kimimaro has been doing, he is less then pleased but barely raises his voice above calm when he confronts him. And by confront I mean beat him.
- Your Days Are Numbered: As the story progresses, Kimimaro gets sicker and weaker from the illness that is inside his body and Tsunade is his only hope.