Fanfic Recs: The Lion King
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth ruling over Pride Rock for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for The Lion King Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and WebsitesHaradion
- Comments:This Author has created an Entire Series, all set in the same world. the First Story, Judgement, shapes the world, by showing its history from teh point of view of Scar. Then, the following series builds upon this world, by creating a Saga, set in the world, telling not just a story, but of an Epic War between the Pridelands, and the Shai'tan Imperium. A boundless Empire from the East, who's devastating blitzkrieg has crippled the Pridelands, resulting in the deaths of many main characters, and following the survivors and descendants, in a Post Apocalyptic tale of the Pridelands under Imperial Occupation.
- The Lion King - Judgement
- Synopsis: Death is not the End. Judgement awaits for one whose sins are a numerous as the stars in the sky. If he wants to join his ancestors, Scar needs to explain a few things. Faced with the Judgement of Spirits he relives his Past, Life, Death and rebirth. See the Lion Prince Taka become consumed by the darkness of Scar. And what comes next for Traitor's King. Where Angels fear to tread.
- Comments: Okay... So many fics have attempted to rewrite Scar's Past, or show his backstory. Very few have attempted to do so Post-Mortem.
- With Scar facing "Judgement" for his crimes, by two Original Characters (Who they are and what they represent is a part of the Story), the story flips between a relook at Scar's history, and a trial, during which Scar comes face to face with his actions. Unpredictable and face paced, there are twists and turns and tears along the way. Ultimately, the reader is never sided with Scar or his accuser. They are a witness to the Trial.
- Along side this, there is a genuine story with the After Life, and a look at consequences, and how ones actions can come back to haunt you in ways you wouldn't expect.
- Scar remains a grey character, as his initial actions seem very justified... His later actions become more and more corrupted, and by the end, the reader has missed the point where Taka became Scar... Just as he did.
- The Story looks at Scar's Past, his life as a Prince, his relationships with his friends and family (Many of which are new takes on well trod ground) and his reign. It also bleeds into his future and the other all future of the Pridelands.
- Everything is leading towards a simple question: Was Scar's action justified? Where does he fit on the scale of balance? What is he repentant for? What would he redo?
- All this sounds like well trod territory, until you realise that he doesn't know it himself. And so, he reviews his life, through visions, echo's flashbacks, and a new perspective.
- Note: Word of God, says a "Remastered" Version is in the works, which will remove several of the Grammar, Spelling and Over Abundance of Shoutouts (which, by his own admission are overbearing in a few instances), as his writing has matured over the years.
- The Lion King Legacies
- Synopsis: The long awaited Sequel to Judgement. Taka's vision has come true. King Kovu is dead. Pride Rock has been destroyed. Rish'ut reigns as regent for Emperor Ben-Kai-Ra from the outlands. Vitani, Almasi and Damu are three lionesses and the last adult survivors of the Pride, except for the twins: Sara and Inti, the cub Zuri, the bitter adolescent Danyal and Kiava, Heir to the Throne..
- Comments: Full of Plot Twists and Suspense, the Story is the Sequel to the Author's Previous "The Lion King - Judgement" in that it follows on, but this time takes the more traditional route, of telling the story from the POV of a bunch of characters.
- Essentially, the dark and dismal future that was seen as a Potential Future as the result of Scar's actions has come true. An Evil Villain, by the name of Ben-Kai-Ra has conquered the Pridelands, and slaughtered its inhabitance. The survivors must attempt to reclaim them, but for now, all they can do it attempt to survive...
- Dead favourite characters pop up every now and again - so if your favourite Original character is dead, you will still have a reason to read this fic.
- Now in its 4th Book - and getting longer with each expansion, the story blends Post-Apocalypstic/Disaster themes, with a fantasy style Quest. Cruel villains, a party of main characters (each of whom get their own subplots), plot twists that make you spray what you are drinking, and an intriguing use of Magic in the shape of the "Shamanism" blends the original Lion King, with the darker, supernatural tones of "Judgement" and its own blend of Fantasy - while remaining locked in its traditional world.
ComicsTales from the Spirit Lands by Koai
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Comments: There are four separate stories in the same verse: Escape to Pride Rock, Run or Learn, Mark of a Prisoner and My Pride Sister. Chronologically, "My Pride Sister" happens first and "Escape to Pride Rock" comes second. "Run or Learn" and "Mark of a Prisoner" come third and both happen at the same time. And I HIGHLY reccommend them all.
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Comments: Chronologically, The Future of our Past happens first, then Uru's Reign Part 1, then The East Land Chronicles and finally Uru's Reign Part 2 which is currently ongoing. All of these comics are remarkably well done with well fleshed out OC's. I highly recommend them! But read them in order, otherwise you won't get the story.
- Recommended by Crimson Shogun
- Comments: Great-great-grandfater Simba reveals the origin of their family, how ages ago a pride on the brink of death found sanctuary upon Pride Rock, away from the brutalities of other lions. To protect his family, Nkosi sought to find another way to survive... he sought to became the King of the Pride Lands.
GeneralBefore and Beyond the Beginning by Breech Loader
- Recommended by Tambov333
- Synopsis: "During the hyena's youth, Shenzi must learn to control a pack. Banzai must learn to control his emotions. Ed must learn to live with insanity. A competitor for Shenzi must learn to be a scumbag. The trio has yet to meet Scar. And ALL have to face puberty." A Darker and Edgier Fix Fic with a Perspective Flip and notable character study - Foregone Conclusion becomes an incoming Tear Jerker.
- Pairing(s): Shenzi/Banzai, OC->Shenzi, Scar->Shenzi
- Tags: Fix Fic, Grey and Grey Morality, Foregone Conclusion, arguable DILP and RTDE.
- Also: Interspecies Romance - Played differently - the increasingly crazed Scar repeatedly flirts with Shenzi, which makes her feel very uncomfortable. It plays on the idea that much as lions find hyenas ugly, hyenas find lions ugly right back. (Which the hyenas do, as stated in the movie when Banzai and Shenzi have a little fun pointing out why lions suck.)
- Recommended by Ironic Mouse
- Royal Journey is a direct sequel to The Lion King 2 and follows Kovu and Kiara as they prepare to one day take the place of Simba and Nala as rulers of the Pride Lands. During the story, battles are fought, characters die, and those who live go though a great deal of character development. The beginning chapters suffer from some typical fan fic mistakes, but overall it's a well-written story that takes the time to expand on the setting's culture.
- A Single Step is the Spinoff Babies to Royal Journey, focusing on Kiara and Kovu's son, Kivu, and the half-dozen other cubs that have been born since the last story. Over the course of the story, the cubs grow into young adults, new lions join the pride, conflicts internal and external are dealt with, and young love blossoms amongst many of the characters. Of particular note is the enormous cast of characters that inhabit this story, and that despite the quantity of characters, there is no shortage on quality character development.
- Pairings: Simba/Nala, Kovu/Kiara, lots of OC/OC, lots of implied OC/OC
- Tags: Expanded Universe, Spinoff Babies, Cast Herd
- Recommended by Pichu
- Synopsis: When Kiara's newborn cub proves difficult, she thinks she has failed as a mother. Nala disagrees.
- Comments: It's sickly sweet and short. It's quite cute and well-written.
- Recommended by Namacub95
- Synopsis: Simba's Pride rewritten to fit the original ideas for the Lion King Sequel. Following the journey of the royal twins Chaka and Shani.
- Comments: A brilliantly detailed and well written Simba's Pride AU with Chaka and Shani instead of Kiara. The plot is very very well thought through and interesting whilst relying on scrapped production notes to build the characters. It's definitely worth a read. It even includes a 'Making Of' page which is also great to read.
- Recommended by Treeclimber42
- Synopsis: "When did he go from wanting him around for protection to realizing that the cub was their responsibility to raise? Somewhere between rescuing him and watching him stand on Pride Rock, Simba became more than just their friend. He was part of their family." Just because Timon and Pumbaa serve as Plucky Comic Relief doesn't mean they aren't more than that.
- Comments: It is easy to forget that Timon and Pumbaa really did raise Simba. The movie did tend to skim over that part, even though the 1 1/2 one focused a little more on it. But you could really see the events of this story happening in canon. Everybody is kept in character which makes the story seem very believable and there is a real attempt to connect all three movies into a comprehensive whole (including 1 1/2). Now with trope page.
- Recommended by: Looneyman1933
- Synopsis: A collection of stories about Simba and Nala as cubs. The two do much more than fall in love, as they battle evil wizards, horrifying monsters, and just plain lions who want to kill them.
- Comments: ThatPersonYouMightKnow is an amazing author. He has a way of making a story flow together perfectly. Don't take my word for it, though. Go check it out yourself.
- Recommended by: N8han11
- Synopsis: Well, I suppose the stampede was technically meant for his brother... There's just, I don't know, one small problem with that: the cub died instead.
- Comments: This story is amazing. It does a great job of introducing plot twist after plot twist, and manages to succeed in keeping everyone in character. Saying anymore about it would spoil some major plot twists, so just go read it.
HumorHonest Trailers: The Lion King
- Recommended by: Aramisa
- Sypnosis: It's Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Comments: The author managed to create a believable and hilarious Honest Trailers for the movie.