- The very beginning of the movie has a rather meta one with the song "Circle of Life". If one knows their Swahili and listen to the famous African choruses that start the song, it translates that someone was pointing out to his father that a lion is coming. The father confirms that it is, indeed, a lion.
- The part where Zazu starts off singing "Nobody Knows":
- "What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?"
- Rafiki smacking Simba upside the head with his stick, - "OW! Jeez, what was that for?!" Again it is Simba's priceless expression (and head-rub) that sells it. Even funnier after watching the DVD Commentary. That was just a Throw It In.
"So I said, why doesn't he just hit him over the head?"
Rafiki: So, what are you going to do?
Simba: [mischievously] First...I'm gonna take your stick! [grabs and throws it]
Rafiki: No no no, not the stick! [chases after it]
- And when Simba finally tells him he's going back home, we have: "Good! Go on, get out of here!"
- Even better when Timon's Mother whacks Rafiki upside the head with his own staff in the sequel.
- Speaking of Rafiki:
Come here. [pulls Simba close to whisper in his ear
] It's a secret.
[whispering and getting louder
] Asante sana, squash banana! We we nugu! Mi mi apana!
- "...Be prepared for sen-sa-tional news..."
- At the elephant graveyard:
"We could have whatever's...lion
"Make mine a cub
"It's not funny, Ed." [bursts into hyena laughter
- The Three Hyenas piling up one after the other at the edge of a cliff, eventually pushing Banzai into a thorny bush.
- "What, you want me to come out looking like you, cactus butt?"
- Rafiki going kung fu on the hyenas could qualify both as this and a Moment of Awesome.
- This easy-to-miss exchange:
- Another easy-to-miss one:
- Zazu getting crushed by a rhino at the end of "I Just Can't Wait to Be King".
Zazu: I beg your pardon, madam, but... GET OFF!!
- Earlier in the same song sequence, when Simba and Nala walk through an honor guard-style arrangement of zebras... who then promptly reverse face (literally) and show their butts, tails erect, to Zazu when he tries to follow the cubs.
- Scar's use of the phrase "practically gift-wrapped" to describe how easy killing Simba and Nala was supposed to be for the hyenas.
- "No king! No king! La la la la la la~!"
- Just before that, this exchange:
Banzai: Yeah, be prepared! Heheh, we'll be prepared! Heh. ...For what?
Scar: For the death of the king!
Banzai: Why, is he sick?
Scar: (candidly) No, fool, we're gonna kill him, and Simba, too.
- When Timon, Pumbaa and Simba lie in the grass looking at the stars.
Timon: They're fireflies. Fireflies that, uh... got stuck up on that big bluish-black thing.
Pumbaa: Oh, gee. I always thought they were balls of gas burning billions of miles away.
Timon: Pumbaa, with you, everything's gas.
- Timon's absolute confusion when Nala and Simba reunite. After they were at each other's throats. And after she tried to eat Pumbaa, who, after pleasantries, seems to have completely forgotten about it. Which only confuses Timon more!
Simba: Nala, I'd like you to meet Pumbaa. Pumbaa, Nala.
Pumbaa: Pleased to make your acquaintance.
Nala: The pleasure's all mine!
Timon: How do you do.. Whoa! Whoa. Time out.. Lemme get this straight. You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's... okay with this? DID I MISS SOMETHING?!
- This little aside from "Hakuna Matata":
Timon: When he was a young warthog...
Pumbaa: When I was a young WARTHOOOG...
Timon: (while cleaning his ear out) Very nice.
- And this one:
- The Hilarious Outtakes made for the 3D version. See them here.
- This exchange:
Now that's power. Shenzi:
Tell me about it. I just hear that name and I shudder. Banzai:
Oooh. Do it again! Banzai:
MUFASA MUFASA MUFASA! Ed:
[cracks up laughing
] Shenzi: It tingles
[massages his forehead softly
] I'm Surrounded by Idiots
- And earlier in the film:
Zazu: Oh, NO! NOT THE BIRDY BOILER!
- Scar being Deadpan Snarker at his best to hide the fact he cannot stand Simba's enthusiasm for being destined to the throne.
Yes, well forgive me for not leaping for joy. Bad back, you know. Simba:
Hey Uncle Scar, when I'm King, what'll that make you? Scar: A monkey's uncle.
- After Timon and Pumbaa meet Rafiki for the first time:
Timon: Hey, what's going on here? Who's the monkey?
Nala: Simba's gone back to challenge Scar!
Pumbaa: Who's got a scar?
Nala: No, no, no. It's his uncle.
Timon: The monkey's his uncle?
Nala: No! Simba's gone back to challenge his uncle to take his place as King!
Timon and Pumbaa: Ohhhhhh...
- The start of movie after the "Circle of Life" number which introduces Scar. After Zazu reprimands him for missing Simba's ceremony, he tries to eat him.
Mufasa: [shows up] Scar!
Scar: [with his mouth full] Yes, Mufasa?
Mufasa: Drop him.
Zazu: [his beak pops out of Scar's mouth] Impeccable timing, your majesty. [Scar spits him out]
- In the very same scene above, we get this little dialogue after Scar walks out on Mufasa:
There's one in every family, sire. Two in mine, actually.
And they always manage to ruin special occasions. Mufasa:
What am I going to do with him? (meaning Scar) Zazu:
He'd make a very handsome throw rug. Mufasa:
And just think, Whenever he gets dirty you can take him out and beat him.
- Timon and Pumbaa's verse at the end of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Their genuine-looking grief, and bursting into tears afterwards, for...nothing.
- Just about all of the Virtual Safaris in this, but highlights are:
- Timon and Pumbaa discovering that THEY are on the menu in the Jeep tour.
- Pumbaa mistaking Timon's tail for his blanket in the same tour.
- Followed by Timon and Pumbaa getting attacked by bats.
- In the Boat tour, Timon jumps out of the boat after getting scared by thunder.
- One of the two endings of the above tour, which involves Timon and Pumbaa getting caught in a whirlpool.
- The other ending is also funny, but replace "whirlpool" with "waterfall".