Fan Fic: Olivia Goes West
A Cross Over
fan fiction by Surenity
, which links The Great Mouse Detective
with An American Tail
, and a sequel to Basil's American Tail
A year has passed since Basil's battle with Ratigan atop Big Ben, and the Flavershams have moved to the American West to put that horror behind them. However, once arriving in Green River, Olivia's father is kidnapped once again. Can Olivia hone her detective skills to find him? Luckily, she'll get a little help from one Fievel Mousekewitz, setting the two of them off on a journey that will include many old friends and foes alike.
The novel-length, 30-chapter undertaking can be read on deviantART here
, or on FanFiction.Net here
- Action Girl: Olivia, especially with regards to what she does to Chula with a tomahawk.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Tony comes to this conclusion about Tanya when talking to Vartan, sensing her crush on Ratigan. Although once Tanya discovers just how bad Ratigan is she quickly renounces him and joins Nellie and Basil as an undercover spy.
- Alternate Universe Fic: Admittedly, in order to get Fievel and Olivia to be the same age, the events in The Great Mouse Detective had to be moved to 1889 rather than 1897, while the story itself takes place in 1890. Plus it happens four years after everything that transpired in Basil's American Tail. Otherwise all of the movies happened as normal, besides Nellie rejecting Reed Daley's proposal at the end of Mystery of the Night Monster because of Basil, and some semblance of the events in "The Lost Mother Lode" episode of Fievel's American Tails having also taken place.
- An Arm and a Leg: Olivia semi-accidentally lops off one of Chula's legs with a tomahawk. Though extremely painful, he does have seven more. But he walks with a limp for the rest of the story.
- Bad Guy Bar: The saloon is turned into one once Waul retakes ownership of it.
- The Bartender: Tony Toponi works as one in the saloon.
- Batman Gambit: Basil ingeniously uses Cat R. Waul's obsession with Tanya's voice to shatter his and Ratigan's alliance and buy enough time to save everyone in Ratigan's trap, knowing that when Ratigan actually gets serious about executing Tanya as a hostage Waul will stop him.
- Being Evil Sucks: Fidget starts to realize this before the end.
- Beta Couple: Basil and Nellie, as they're only a secondary focus in this story.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Ratigan and Cat R. Waul.
- Bilingual Bonus: Much of Vartan's dialog for anyone who speaks Armenian.
- But Now I Must Go: Basil gets on a train to return to London at the end, and Nellie, after waiting for four years, joins him.
- The Chanteuse: Tanya becomes this when Waul hires her at the saloon.
- Crossover Ship: Invoked of course, with Olivia and Fievel, and returning from the prequel, Basil and Nellie.
- Funetik Aksent: Olivia's Scottish accent, as well as several other characters.
- Furry Confusion: Olivia experiences some Fridge Logic when noting that Wylie Burp is bipedal, wears clothes and can talk, while back in London Toby the dog could do none of these things.
- Genre Savvy: Ratigan decides this time he's going to stay and watch Basil fall into his trap until the roof starts caving in, rather than make the mistake he made in The Great Mouse Detective.
- Intrepid Reporter: Nellie Brie
- Kid Hero: Fievel and Olivia
- Landslide Election: Ratigan is run against Fidget for mayor, with Fidget purposely making himself look bad.
- Make It Look Like An Accident: Ratigan and Waul's plan to kill Fievel and Olivia is to send them down the Green River on Fievel's raft without oars, and then claim that they tried to rescue the children but failed.
- Never Found the Body: After Ratigan's fall from Big Ben. And indeed, after the story's climax as well.
- The Nicknamer: Tony Toponi, who has a nickname for everyone, calling Olivia "Livvie".
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Ratigan survived the fall from Big Ben by landing in Cat R. Waul's sandwich.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: Olivia, who briefly wonders how Fievel can be a Barefoot Cartoon Animal outside without hurting himself.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: This is Ratigan's view on Basil, and why Fidget warned Chula when he wondered Why Don't Ya Just Shoot Him?
- Original Character: Vartan Mookian, Nellie Brie's assistant.
- Premature Eulogy: Ratigan gives one at Olivia and Fievel's funeral. Of course, they're still alive.
- Puppy Love: Fievel and Olivia, eventually.
- Rollercoaster Mine: Jebediah's mine, which is one of the few elements in the fan fic taken from Fievel's American Tails. The climax takes place in a mine cart going down the mine shaft.
- Sadistic Choice: Ratigan's trap for Basil in the end clinches on him having to choose to save either Nellie or Fievel and Vartan, and not having enough time to save them all.
- Ship Sinking: Nellie and Reed Daley (a canon pairing), Tanya and Waul (a semi-popular fan pairing).
- Sleazy Politician: Ratigan becomes one.
- Sleep Cute: Olivia and Fievel do this often.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Tanya, who develops a bit of a crush on Ratigan at first, that is until she sees Waul eat a mouse and overhears that they "killed" her brother and Olivia.
- Snooping Little Kid: Both Fievel and Olivia.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Fidget and Chula.
- Unhand Them, Villain!: Basil tells Ratigan to let his captives go, which given the design of Ratigan's trap would be a very bad idea.
- Villain Team Up: Happens in the prologue.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Cat R. Waul and Ratigan