open/close all folders
- Tommy Pickles Vs The Terrible Twos is a fanfic set one year after the events of Rugrats. In the chapter, "Tommy Talks", the Finster and Deville families take their children, as well as Tommy and Dil to see a Goober the Gopher movie. Not wanting to see the movie due to his dislike of Goober, Tommy sneaks out to see a Reptar movie. When Kira finds Tommy, Tommy tells her that he wants to see the Reptar movie, and when she refuses to let him see it, he throws a tantrum that results in the Finster and Deville families having to leave the theater early.
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is about Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny sneaking into an R-rated movie.
- Weenies: The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies had a story in which a kid sneaks into a movie theater to watch a horror movie. But when he learns there's a new feature that lets the audience feel the same physical pain as the characters in the movie, he gets more than he bargained for.
Live Action TV
- The Middle had an episode where the Hecks realize they've never taken Brick to the movies.
- An episode of Mr. Bean has him and his girlfriend go to a theatre to watch a horror flick. He brings a big bucket of popcorn only for himself and a rubber knife in attempt to scare his girlfriend. Hijinks ensue when the movie starts, and he Screams Like a Little Girl at every Scare Chord. He tries to bail out, but the others watching the movie prevents him from doing so; he tries to cover his head with a sweater, which promptly scares his girlfriend; then he uses the bucket that he emptied from the constant shaking, which succeeds from scaring him out while his girlfriend and the others did so. After the movie, both he and his girlfriend were scared out of their wits when he thought that there was no hand from her jacket.
- On one episode of That '70s Show, the gang to a drive-in on the last night before it closes.
- The Big Bang Theory has several:
- "The Pancake Batter Anomaly" - Leonard skips taking care of a sick Sheldon to attend a Planet of the Apes movie marathon.
- "The 21-Second Excitation" - The gang goes to a showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark and have to deal with a long line.
- "The Opening Night Excitation" - The guys go to the premiere of The Force Awakens, intercut with Sheldon and Amy having sex for the first time.
- "The Solder Excursion" - Leonard and Howard go to a sneak preview of Suicide Squad when they should be making errands for the girls.
- Seinfeld brought us "The Movie", probably most (in)famous for introducing the world to Rochelle, Rochelle, "A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk".
- Yes, Dear:
- In "Walk Like a Man", Greg tries to prove to Sammy that he can be a Papa Wolf so that Sammy will see him more as a manly father than his wimpy older brother. At one point, the Warner and Hughes families go to the movie theater, where Greg gets into a scuffle with a talkative and much larger man and is apprehensive about fighting it out. When Greg sees Sammy about to eat a candy bar with peanuts in it, Greg punches the man to rush over to his son, knowing that Sammy is allergic to peanuts. In The Stinger, it is revealed that Sammy was fully aware of what was going on, and deliberately tried to eat the candy bar so that Greg would see what was happening, man up, and score a win.
- In "Natural Born Delinquents", the Warner and Hughes families go to the movie theater, when Dominic and Logan fight over a bag of Cheetos and spill them all over Greg's car. While Kim, Jimmy, Christine, Sammy, and Emily go see the movie and go to the arcade afterwards, Greg stays behind to discipline Dominic and Logan, telling them they can't see the movie until after they pick up the Cheetos. Dominic and Logan miss the movie and the arcade, but find much more enjoyment in torturing Greg.
- The B-Plot of the Good Luck Charlie episode, "Blankie Go Bye-Bye" involves Gabe taking Bob and Amy to the movie theater to see Star Exploders 2: Kickin' Asteroids for their anniversary while Teddy and P.J. throw them a Moroccan feast and Teddy searches for Charlie's missing blanket. Gabe and Bob are more interested in seeing Star Exploders 2, while Amy is more interested in seeing The Willow Weeps Tomorrow.
- Curtis and his little brother Barry routinely take in a feature in the neighborhood movie theater. Curtis has a fondness for the horror genre, and a knack for smuggling in foodstuffs unavailable at the concessionary.
- One skit by Cheech and Chong has their characters Pablo De Paco and Man visit a drive-in theater, while smuggling some extra dudes in the trunk. Being hopeless stoners, nothing about their visit goes smoothly.
- In Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Montana's Movie Madness, Montana Max opens a new movie theater in ACME Acres, but the only movies he's showing are ones where he's the hero, and Buster Bunny is the villain. It's up to Buster to go into the movies and change the plots. The four movies are The Western, The Samurai Saga, The Future Flick, and The Monster Movie. The final stage is the stage where all the movies were filmed, leading to the final battle with Montana Max and his camera.
- YouTuber Crispy Toast has a series called "Rights and Wrongs", which shows the right and wrong ways to behave in certain situations. "The Rights and Wrongs of Movie Etiquette" is about Red and a HALO character going to a movie theater and being polite and rude, respectively.
- Supermarioglitchy4s Super Mario 64 Bloopers has "A Theatre Mario", where all the main characters go to a theatre to watch different movies. Mario gets bored and sneaks around to see what everyone is watching.
- Strong Bad Email: In "the movies", Strong Bad recounts a typical trip to the theater, and complains about the many types of annoying theatergoers, including Coach Z as the guy who blurts out the answers to the film trivia slides show before the movie, and Strong Sad as the guy who keeps rattling off the filmographies of the actors in the movie. The trip ends with Strong Bad getting fed up with Homestar (who's been making small talk with the movie characters), attacking him with a bazooka, and getting banned from the theater for life.
- The Hobo Bros "Hobo Theatre" series has "Captain Falcon Watches the Bee Movie", where, as the title implies, Captain Falcon goes to a movie theater and watches Bee Movie.
- In "Bowser Goes to the Movies!", Chef Pee Pee takes Bowser to the movie theater to see Charleyyy and Friends: The Movie. Bowser is very disruptive in the movie theater; talking throughout the movie, tossing his food around, and blaming his actions on the other customers.
- In "Bowser Junior Sneaks into a Movie!", Bowser Junior, Joseph, and Cody see a trailer for an R-rated horror movie called Hide and Seek: The Movie!. When Chef Pee Pee refuses to let them see it, they decide to sneak into the movie theater themselves. Along the way, Cody sees Happy Pony 4.
- In "Jeffy Sneaks Out!", Bowser Junior asks Jeffy if he can go to the movies with him. Jeffy asks Mario for his permission, and when Mario tells him "Not today", Jeffy has a swearing fit that results in Mario grounding him for two weeks. Jeffy creates a clone of himself out of his Play-Doh (It Makes Sense in Context) to take his place while he and Junior sneak out to go to the movie theater. While Play-Doh Jeffy causes havoc at Mario's house, Junior and Jeffy see Hot Dog Man at the movie theater.
- Animaniacs: In "Potty Emergency", Wakko has a Potty Emergency while watching a movie with his siblings. He leaves the theater as he frantically looks for a bathroom. In the end, he goes back to the theater and into the movie screen to use the bathroom there.
- In The Boondocks episode "...Or Die Trying", Robert takes Huey, Riley, and Jazmine to the local cinema to watch Soul Plane 2: The Blackjacking (a fictitious in-universe sequel to Soul Plane). However, because Robert is a miserly cheapskate, he and the kids sneak into the theater without paying for the tickets. Naturally, problems arise due to Robert's illegal actions, and how he's throwing childish temper-tantrums over popcorn; Jazmine feeling intense guilt by association, due to being an accomplice to 'theft'; and Huey only going along reluctantly, and not actually wanting to see the movie in the first place.
- In the Rugrats episode "At the Movies", the parents take the kids to see The Dummi Bears in the Land Without Smiles. While the adults are engaged in the movie (save for Grandpa, who hates the movie's saccharine tone), the babies wander off to see a Reptar movie, making a mess of the snack bar and the projection room along the way.
- In the Rocko's Modern Life episode "Popcorn Pandemonium", Rocko and Heffer treat Mr. Bighead's big-screen TV like a drive-in. After they inadvertently destroy the TV, they go to another theater, where every movie playing is Lethal Odor IX. Along the way, they try to find a good viewing room, and watch trailers for upcoming movies, including The Little Poots, Garbage Strike: The Musical, and Dracula: Done to Death.
- We Bare Bears had "Shush Ninjas", where the bears go to a movie theater and end up getting tasked to keep the audience in each room quiet.
- In the Codename: Kids Next Door episode "Operation: M.O.V.I.E.", Numbuh 4 is sick of having to see the Rainbow Monkeys double feature, so he tries to sneak into an R-rated movie called Violence: The Movie. When he finally does, he finds out that R-rated movies are really places for top secret supervillain meetings.
- In the Sniz and Fondue episode "Celluloid Sins", when the two title characters go to the movie theater, Sniz takes up "plexing", wherein he sees movies without paying or being caught, even going as far as to become a superhero called the "Multi-Plexer". Fondue unwillingly takes the blame for Sniz's actions, until Sniz sees a movie that shows him the error of his ways.
- Tiny Toon Adventures:
- In the episode "Cinemaniacs!", Buster and Babs visit the ACME Cinema, where they see three movie spoofs: SuperBabs, Duck Trek, and Pasadena Jones. Along the way, Montana Max, who is working as a movie usher, tries to stop them from "theater-hopping" (which consists of them literally hopping through the halls from theater to theater).
- In the second half of the short, "My Dinner With Elmyra" (part of "Love Disconnection"), Montana Max takes Elmyra to the movie theater to see Death Lords. To his surprise, Elmyra has already paid for the movie tickets, but much to his ire, the tickets are for The Adventures of Fido and Mew-Mew.
- In The Movie, Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation, Shirley and Fowlmouth's subplot culminates with them seeing Skunknophobia in the theater. Fowlmouth is rude and annoying at every step of the way, and eventually ticks off the other theater-goers so much that they throw him into the movie screen, where the cast of Skunknophobia tell him off for talking during the movie.
- The Tom and Jerry cartoon "Cruise Cat" has Tom chase Jerry aboard a luxury cruise ship. The ship has a theater, so the cat and mouse scurry into it, where they stop to watch a clip from the cartoon "Texas Tom", which is an earlier Tom and Jerry short.
- At the start of "Wash and Werewolf", the second-season opener of The Little Rascals, the boys have dragged Darla to a 3D horror film, even though she wanted to watch a romantic film at a different theater. After they take their seats, Alfalfa plays a prank that scares Darla badly enough that she leaves the theater before the feature begins. During the movie, Alfalfa remarks that it seems so real that he actually feels wet. Spanky replies that it's because Alfalfa spilled his soda in his lap.
- In the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Box Office Bunny", a multiplex is built over Bugs' burrow, and he has to evade usher Elmer Fudd, who thinks he's snuck into the theater, along with Daffy Duck, who did sneak in.
- In the 101 Dalmatians: The Series episode "Film Fatale", the main pups want to go see the Thunderbolt movie at Cruella's movie theater, the Cruellaplex, but can't because the theater won't allow dogs. As a result, they try to sneak into the movie theater without Cruella or her henchmen finding them.